308 factory ammo for elk not named Nosler?

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
My bro uses factory 180 grn. Rem. C.L.s in his M88 Winchester in .308 cal. for elk, and he does very well with it. Last year he got a nice 6X6 bull, and since he and his wife have moved to Wyoming and established resident status, he's gotten his elk just about every year for the past 10 years using that rifle and ammo. I don't believe he's shot an elk with that M88 at over 200 yards, either; nice, accurate old rifle with an old Weaver variable on it. If you're just after a cow, I wouldn't hesitate using a well constructed 165 grain bullet in your rifle at the range you suggest (IMO).

Killed bull in profile pic last fall with 175 Federal Terminal Ascent. I picked these because they grouped slightly better than the 180 Trophy Bonded, and those grouped better than the 180 blue box.

I tried Federal Fusions in 180 and Winchester white box PSP in 180. I couldn't get either of these to group well in my Ruger American.

I'm taking some 168 grain Hornady Match ELD and Browning loaded with Sierra 168 grain TMK to the range this or next week to see how they shoot. They're both a little cheaper than the Federals, and several guys with WAY more experience than me said they flat kill things.

I'm going to be THAT GUY...Anyone that says shoot an elk with whatever bullet groups best out of your rifle is being selfish and short-sighted.
Use a proper bullet appropriate for the game or don't touch the trigger.
We owe the animal the most humane harvest we can manage.
The comment 'lot's of 'whatever' were killed before fancy bullets' is basically saying a 30-30 is fine for bison....c'mon...Think and act appropriately.

dapesche

WKR
I killed two elk with the rifle. Both were approx 10yds away. So my experience and distances might not apply to you. But I'll share anyways.

First bull was with my 6.5x55 with 140gr accubonds. Bull did not drop. Absorbed the shot turned, hit it again and it walked 20yds and died.

Second bull was with the 308 and 150gr federal trophy copper. Almost the exact same set up (broadside shot, 10yds away). Hit that bull and he dropped then rolled about 6-10yds and flipped down a steep hill to wedge against some trees. Put another one in him and he was dead.

That same 308 15gr trophy copper worked on a big billy. First shot was hard quartering into boiler room. He spun to look and I hit him square, frontal and he dropped and rolled off the cliff. That was from 40 yds away.

This was the bullet that I recovered from the front shot on the billy.