308 factory ammo for elk not named Nosler?

Bluto

WKR
This is NOT a nock on Nosler. The partition is what I love, and what I wanted. The gun just hates them in 150, 165, or 180. Tried 165 accubonds as well, I figured it would like one or the other. Nope. (These were from Nosler trophy grade, Federal premium, and Choice Ammunition loads.)

Here’s the weird part. After a fresh scope mount, I didn’t want to burn the expensive stuff just to get it safely towards the middle of a target, so I grabbed a box of Federal “Nontypical whitetail soft nose” 180gr. The gun absolutely eats them up. Loves them.

I thought maybe I was rushing cooling time on the Noslers so I grabbed some of the federals again at the end of the day. Warm barrel and all, shot great.

So, if I’m not shooting partitions or accubonds at 308 velocity and distances 400 and under, what are my best factory load options? I’ve no experience with Sierra, Barnes, Swift, nor the terminal ascents from federal.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I’m not above a core lokt. Next range trip I’ll be trying some regardless.

Laramie

WKR
Any controlled expansion bullet in the 150 grain to 180 grain will work fine. I prefer the 165 grain rounds personally.

Laramie

WKR
I’m not above a core lokt. Next range trip I’ll be trying some regardless.
I took several elk in my teens and 20s with the corelokt bullets out of a 30-06. Killed elk just fine. They are a bit lower velocity so keep shots reasonable if you go that route. If you can find some, the Hornady Precision loads shoot fantastic in every gun I have tried them in.

KHNC

WKR
I shoot Federal loaded with Sierra Game Kings in my .308 Howa heavy barrel. Shoots them great!

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
The federal non-typical is good stuff. I go between that and SST's for whitetail.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Sweet - and yes, not complaining if she eats a cheap dinner! (One of the reasons I stuck with 308. At least I can find it.)

Mostly just unfamiliar with the nontypical. I’ve shot core lokts at whitetail the majority of my life. Elk aren’t whitetail, but 180gr that land in the right spot is obviously better than not.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Another thing I’m pondering - the gun came with a factory (screw on) muzzle brake. First rifle I’ve owned to wear one, could I be seeing accuracy issues because of it?

Another thing I’m pondering - the gun came with a factory (screw on) muzzle brake. First rifle I’ve owned to wear one, could I be seeing accuracy issues because of it?
Doubt it's the break if so the 180 sp wouldn't be accurate..one way to find out..take it off and try the NP.

This is NOT a nock on Nosler. The partition is what I love, and what I wanted. The gun just hates them in 150, 165, or 180. Tried 165 accubonds as well, I figured it would like one or the other. Nope. (These were from Nosler trophy grade, Federal premium, and Choice Ammunition loads.)

Here’s the weird part. After a fresh scope mount, I didn’t want to burn the expensive stuff just to get it safely towards the middle of a target, so I grabbed a box of Federal “Nontypical whitetail soft nose” 180gr. The gun absolutely eats them up. Loves them.

I thought maybe I was rushing cooling time on the Noslers so I grabbed some of the federals again at the end of the day. Warm barrel and all, shot great.

So, if I’m not shooting partitions or accubonds at 308 velocity and distances 400 and under, what are my best factory load options? I’ve no experience with Sierra, Barnes, Swift, nor the terminal ascents from federal.
Hornady Match 168gr eldms.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I haven’t.

Making the rounds tomorrow to all two places locally I can attempt to find ammo and picking some up. Not behind trying much of anything but I’ll likely end up being the non typical, core lokt, and I’ll probably try one more round of something else like a TSX. If they have it.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I guess I should also add that my hunt this year suits my hunting style, limits, and the 308. It’s very early rifle, butts up against archery.

300 and under is comfortable for me in most any case, 350 to *maybe* 400 under ideal conditions. Should be right in the wheelhouse of a decent 308 round.

fmyth

WKR
Sweet - and yes, not complaining if she eats a cheap dinner! (One of the reasons I stuck with 308. At least I can find it.)

Mostly just unfamiliar with the nontypical. I’ve shot core lokts at whitetail the majority of my life. Elk aren’t whitetail, but 180gr that land in the right spot is obviously better than not.
The only bang flop I've ever experienced in all of my hunting days was a single shot from a .300 WM with a 180g Remington Cor Lokt on a spike elk at 200ish yards.

I haven’t.

Making the rounds tomorrow to all two places locally I can attempt to find ammo and picking some up. Not behind trying much of anything but I’ll likely end up being the non typical, core lokt, and I’ll probably try one more round of something else like a TSX. If they have it.
$40/box and they'll give you free shipping.
They also have a lead-free Eco-Strike and a heavy game bullet too.