308 factory ammo for elk not named Nosler?

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
308 velocities are not hard on bullets. The 180 should do very well--even a 165 would probably do fine. I understand the trepidation, and I usually opt for the premium fodder, but those 180s should work for you no problem as long as you do your part.

Lots of good advice here. Premium bullets are worth the extra dollars (In my opinion), however many, many, many elk were harvested before premium bullets hit the scene. Those Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester power point, and Federal power Shok bullets accounted for tons of elk. If your gun shoots it well, feel confident in it and go hunting.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I may be misremembering but I think the federal blue box stuff is topped with Sierra Game Kings...or maybe the flat base pro hunters. I handload for 308 and those are the bullets I use. Economical and effective.
I think the Blue Box and "Non Typical" rounds are Speer Hot Cor.

Federal does load the Game King, but they're in a more expensive loading.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
That’s where it always gets weird for me. TSX vs TTSX, ELDX/ELDM, etc.

All searches lead to long range BC discussions. Kinda irrelevant for a 308 at 300’ish yards IMO. But…those conversations do drift into things like the Barnes bullets.

The tips allegedly assists expansion as well, which is good at any range. But is even that a function of longer ranges? To be honest, they only interest me in that the soft nose bullets are easier to deform getting knocked around.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
A buddy brought this to my attention.

Any chance I have reticle float? Nothing feels bound up when adjusting turrets, but I can’t tell 100%. The windage turret is marginally stiffer, but it also rarely gets turned other than initial zero. Both seem to operate with no drag, but I also don’t have anything to compare it to.

The scope is a SWFA 3-9x42. My first one, bought second hand.

I don’t want to chase problems that don’t exist, but it would also make sense. It seems odd that a gun won’t shoot *any* grain accubond or partition from three different manufacturers.

Either way, grabbed a box of core lokt today, happy to run em if the gun shoots it fine. Back to the range at first chance to give it a whirl.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Partitions can be finicky in guns due to their construction. Some bullets don't do well when shot over copper fouling from other bullets. Your reticle wouldn't be floating if the 180gr Federals were shooting well.

Grab more 180 Federals and go hunt. Wait til next year to start tinkering, and when you start tinkering, clean all copper fouling out of the bore and start fresh with one brand for consistency's sake. If you're wanting to shoot Noslers, the Accubonds should be less finicky than the Partitions so I would start there. Make sure that you shoot at least 3 rounds of that ammo to lay down a layer of copper fouling, and THEN shoot for groups. If you're open to other bullet manufacturers, a 150gr monometal bullet like the Barnes TTSX usually get good reviews and are generally easy to get to shoot. But, clean before switching.

But seriously...buy more 180gr Federals and hunt.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Copy all, and will do.

Picked up another box of federal and a box of core lokt just in case. Otherwise I’m shootings what I got.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Frontline Rejects Hot Cor tests on YouTube. It was a 165gr out of a .308 if I remember correctly, and it was really impressive.

Reactions: FLS

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
My model 70 .308 loves Federal Fusion 150's. Consistently shoots under .75 moa with them and my best of .58 moa. This is all through feather weight barrel too. It also likes Winchester PowerPoint, but not core locks for what ever reason. Lots of bang flop with both of these bullets for me. Go with what shoots well, those bullets will work just fine.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

49ereric

WKR
Pick a few different boxes of standard .308 ammo.
different weights and see what the barrel likes.
flat based bullets skip the boat tails.
I hand load but my brothers 06 loved 150 Sierra PH but only shoots the 180’s PH ok.
You never know.

BjornF16

WKR

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
308 Win has mild MV as previously stated…

155 Scenar (search the web for “deceased via scenar”
168 TMK
178 ELD-M

Careful, the Scenar thread will have you going down another rabbit hole. After following your (mis)adventure in getting your gun set up, the last thing you need is to chase another white rabbit...

I say this partly in jest, but the thread is AWESOME, and admittedly forced me to purchase several hundred Scenar projectiles, of which I have loaded in my 30-06 and 7mm Rem currently.

FLS

WKR
Not too ago the ONLY premium bullet was a Partition. Everything else was cup and core and we still killed plenty of game. Don’t overthink it, shoot what the rifle prefers. Animals haven’t grown armor plating.
The Sierra 180 Pro Hunter Spitzer is one of my favorite .30 cal hunting bullet. When they quit making them I bought every one I could find.

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
Not too ago the ONLY premium bullet was a Partition. Everything else was cup and core and we still killed plenty of game. Don’t overthink it, shoot what the rifle prefers. Animals haven’t grown armor plating.
The Sierra 180 Pro Hunter Spitzer is one of my favorite .30 cal hunting bullet. When they quit making them I bought every one I could find.
Couldn’t agree more. Glad I bought more Sierra 180 PH as well. Plenty of round nose 180 PH as well.