3/4 Ton Truck and Hunting Access...options?

Hi All,

So I love my 3/4 ton duramax as hauling my small horse trailer is a dream, but it's a long bed and I'll be starting to hunt in WY this year as well as likely Idaho and/or Utah in the longer term.

Here in CA, it's not a big deal, but just how limited is my crew cab, long bed 3/4 ton in Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming etc. for hunting?

I enjoy backpacking, but it'd be tough to swallow if I hike in a bunch of miles just to see someone in their truck or atv cruise right up to where I worked so hard to reach. I can't see getting a new truck, but with the long bed could consider an atv or 50" sxs. While I'm an adequate horseman, I haven't gone on overnight backcountry trips yet and not sure if I'd be cool trying it solo, as I know well enough how wonderful but also dangerous horses can be when they get spooked.

Seems like on gohunt, that so many of the ID and WY units are recommended to use an ATV for.

Is it just a question of finding the units without the rough roads and is this feasible when limited on pref. points, or are most people combining atv/sxs with backpack hunting?

I know atv/sxs's are a controversial subject, but let's assume legal and considerate use and be very pragmatic here.

Thanks,

Steve

SWOHTR

WKR
Having hunted ID, I recommend an ATV for some roads. Keep that wear and tear off of your truck. Load it in the bed and you should be fairly nimble. I had a crew cab short box gas truck loaded with an ATV and never had a problem.

You will likely find yourself driving a fair ways in the truck, and when the road gets rough (or access limited by gates), stopping and unloading the ATV.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I take a 3/4 ton out west every year for several months at a time, it'll work and get you around although not as comfortably with stock suspension.
Last year for the first time, I took a small Honda 420 4 wheeler to get to the rough access trailheads and it saved my truck (and back) a ton of abuse. I don't typically hunt in many area that have the 50" trail width rule, I just wanted to save the damage to my truck. Every year something happens to my truck, in 2016 I did over 5K of body damage to it just accessing trailheads that were not meant for anything bigger than a jeep or Tacoma.
I am not hunting out of either, just getting to starting points and it was worth it.

OP
L
I take a 3/4 ton out west every year for several months at a time, it'll work and get you around although not as comfortably with stock suspension.
Last year for the first time, I took a small Honda 420 4 wheeler to get to the rough access trailheads and it saved my truck (and back) a ton of abuse. I don't typically hunt in many area that have the 50" trail width rule, I just wanted to save the damage to my truck. Every year something happens to my truck, in 2016 I did over 5K of body damage to it just accessing trailheads that were not meant for anything bigger than a jeep or Tacoma.
I am not hunting out of either, just getting to starting points and it was worth it.

Thanks guys, that sounds like exactly the type of strategy that'll fit me as I'd rather invest the money into an atv/sxs rather than truck repairs. I don't need anything fancy as just need it to get me to my hike in points.

Thanks!

Wrench

WKR
If you can fit a rig there.... there's gonna be a rig there. I have a tw200 to open up all options. If a trail is wide enough for handlebars...someone will ride it or cut it open, then ride it.

I rode into an area last year that had a bunch of blow downs. It was accessible from two roads, but it left 1/4 mile gap between them. Loaded with elk.

Sure enough, someone cut it open and drove them out.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a dirt bike? It’s harder to balance with a big pack on your back but people do it. That would take up a lot less of your bed.

OP
L
I like simple, so a dirt bike could be intriguing, but actually trying to haggle with a buddy to borrow his Honda Pioneer 700 for October hunts, as he borrows my horse trailer sometimes...we will see. Will fit in long bed and allow me to test it out. Can see what I like or don't or where maybe a dirt bike might be preferred.

When not solo, am thinking if can afford the small sxs might be nice.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Another encouragement to utilize an ATV/SxS. That's my main tool for archery season here in MT. Most, if not all, of the trails are still open during archery season here. We have a slide-in truck camper and hitch the ATV trailer behind. Drive in to our camp spot and then ride ATVs to trailheads/hiking points. If you stay on open/legal trails, shouldn't be an issue and, like stated above, avoid the abuse to your truck. ATVs or SxSs are designed specifically for rough trails and truck repairs are expensive.

Depends where you go. I don’t have an atv or dirt bike but could borrow one easily. I find that most places I’ve hunted an ATV would an be unnecessary hassle and space sink most of the time. I also try to avoid areas that attract ATV use though.

Hell, my F150 crew cab with 6.5’ box is pretty full with coolers and gear for 2 guys as it is. Would need to pack a lot better to fit a quad.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I use a side by side. A lot of those mountain roads are tough on a truck. The other factor with an ATV is time. You can get a pick up most places, it may take a while. With an ATV you can run 20mph over stuff you idle over in a pickup.

I have a similar truck, Dodge 2500 long bed. It is beat up from the abuse I put it through during hunting season. I can't fit a atv in the back because I have my wall tent in the bed. If I had a trailer, then I could. You can use your truck, but you will either rough it up a little or walk more. I currently try to hunt spots where access isn't an issue with my 3/4 ton. Haven't had an issue finding animals.

Agree with the above and bring a ATV for once the roads get rough. I park my truck (3/4 ton dodge) and take my SxS 15 more miles in on "roads". But not roads that I want my truck to drive on. There are guys who do it, but I cannot imagine the wear and tear on those trucks. Plus I can go quite a bit faster on the SxS or the ATV than I can in my truck on the washboard roads. Only down side is no heat, but again beats destroying a 60k truck.

Wrench

WKR
I have a SxS, atv and bikes. The TW 200 is the ticket for me. 80mpg silent and goes everywhere.

Oldkoot

FNG
I found the diesel trucks to be too heavy out in the rough rocky roads also getting them buried in the mud is no fun either so I went with Honda pioneer 500. Got tired of wife bitching about the Nv pinstriping on my 60k truck when I get home.