Tire chains on newer 1/2 ton trucks

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
Size down the tires to give you room for chains. Manufacturers and most of the aftermarket cater to the average buyer, who never actually uses a truck like a truck. They want big tires and wheels that fill up the wheel well. They’ll never use chains so it won’t matter.

What I do - this definitely works:

My input is based on Chevy and Ford half ton pickup ownership, 2008 models and newer. Both makes have limited fender clearance, so think about 18" tires/rims if you're going to need chains. My current tires are TOYO 265/65/18.

My front chains are diamond - see screenshot.
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 9.40.45 AM.png

Rear are v-bar.
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 9.42.38 AM.png

Depending on conditions can do all 4 chains, front only, rear only, one back/one front. Just be smart, adapt to whatever you're dealing with. I use spider tensioners, fwiw.

Hope this helps!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If you're running into mud in late season (common when it warms up and the snow melts during the day) in regards to your main rig getting stuck you can wait till middle of the night/sunrise to drive in/out of camp when things are frozen up. Noon and trucks will be sliding sideways off gumbo roads, 6am and you can drive the roads (that are now likely really rutted up and rough from those noon guys....).

Appreciate all the advice…I’m usually in the Midwest in mid/late November or on Kodiak but I’m in no man’s land in Colorado with deer points and would really like to experience a 4th season rut hunt so I do believe I’m cashing out this year. Will head out early and not have to rush back and still make Thanksgiving dinner to keep momma happy.

BBob

WKR
I’m planning a late season hunt this year and believe I need to have chains out west to be legal on the road in some situations; do these things work and do they even qualify? I’ll be driving a Chevy Traverse.
They work surprising well and much better than you’d think. I use them regularly when needed or required getting to and from ski resorts. I prefer chains when it’s really bad but sometimes it’s way more convenient to throw these on and take off. My experience is with the original Auto Sock. Haven’t used anything else. They are way way faster to slip on than chains. Parked at a ski resort where it dumped all day I was able to drive straight out with no shoveling in a front wheel drive van where the guy in an all wheel drive Subi parked next to me slipped and slid and got stuck on the slight incline. We had to snow shovel a path and lay down sand to get him out.

I’ve got a full set front and back for the big truck and a set for the front on the van.

Permanently under the back seat with the chains :)
IMG_2725.jpeg

Last edited:
I've seen chains that use wire rope (3/8"maybe) instead of chain for the side for low clearance vehicles. Bought everything to make a set and then list interest because I really don't use chains that much (anymore).

Scotto

WKR
My 2016 Ram 1500, when stock, was noted as "S" class only. Right after buying new, I installed air bags in the rear, which helps to raise the rear if needed, and Bilstein shocks in the front. The Bilsteins raised the front almost 2.5". I then installed 1.5" spacers on all four wheels to bring the wheels outward. I have standard chains for the rear if needed and the diamond pattern for the front. The diamond pattern fit under the backseat. The first pic was a fit test prior to upgrading equipment and tires.
I think the traction socks are a good idea too. Will probably get a pair for the wife's Grand Cherokee.

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0867.JPG

Looking to purchase a 2000-2024 1/2 ton truck with clearance for vbar chains on all 4 tires. Most 2024 trucks 1/2 ton or smaller (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Toyota, Nisan) do not have clearance on backside of tire for chains. Anyone know of specific brands with newer model years that allow for use of chains. Chains on 2 tires is ok, but all 4 is preferred for mountain roads in the winter. I don’t need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Thanks!!
Clearance limits are typically front.

Adding a spec to my prior post: V-bars can go on back tires only. V-bar chains won't work on Chevy or Ford front tires (1500 and F150).

OP
J

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all is the suggestion and ideas. All new 1/2 trucks (please correct me if wrong) have very little clearance between the back side of tire and suspension or break line mounts on the frame axel for at least 2 tires and all 4 tires on some trucks. Wheel well clearance on turning can be fixed with smaller tires or a lift, but this does not fix the clearance issue behind tires. Spacers might work, I will look into this more.

I drive on single track mountain roads to access hunting areas in Oct-Jan in MT. Cable chains don’t help in 6-12” of snow and ice.

Vehicle manuals dont help. They are often wrong. ~2.5” clearance is needed to not screw something up while driving for miles with chains in deep snow.