Hnthrdr

WKR
Op… sits down and cracks open a can of worms…

Well you want internets opinion, here it is. 1000 yard shots are stupid & irresponsible at live game, I don’t care what sniper school you graduated from or how many times you made that shot, it is Irresponsible and dumb. No sympathy for you today sir. You had more time to hunt, watch where the herd was headed and HUNT them, don’t do some irresponsible antics and then come looking for solace.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
Things like elk need to be shot as many times as it takes to put them in the cockroach position.

Some rifle shot animals look like they died when in fact they were knocked out. I've seen deer shot in the antler fall over like they were struck by lightening, only to get up and haul butt out of sight.

My Dad told the story of an elk hunt with a guy that shot an elk with a .308. Elk dropped like a Bud Light can out of a Californian's truck window (insert your favorite state to pick on here if you are from California. I know not all Californians are like that). They walked up to the bull, it jumped up, and my Dad shot it in the neck as it was trying to make its escape. As they were gutting the bull, they found the first shot hit the elk right in the testicles.

My very first deer I shot with a rifle, I was hunting alone at the age of 15. I spotted him bedded, got to about a hundred yards, and shot him. He flopped over dead. But I had read about these types of things, so I watched him through the scope for a bit. Sure enough, he stood up, and I shot him again through the lungs. My first shot had hit high and hit one of the spinous processes on his spine, knocking him out temporarily.

All this is to say that even if your bullet was on track, something minor could have happened, whether the bull's antler got in the way, wind or look angle calculations were off, etc. and allowed a less than optimal hit that knocked him down, but not out. I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to find him.

WTFJohn

WKR
So you got a tip from a local, shot an elk at a dumb range, didn't recover it, and then for a final masterpiece you posted skyline pictures of a very recognizable area, ensuring that spot won't be as good anymore for either you or the local (s) that hunted it.

All in all, pretty damn shameful.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Longest shot I ever took wast last Nov. on a cow Elk, ranged it at 460 yards. That made it 160 yards more than I felt comfortable at. I had a real good rest so I took the shot and she dropped where she stood. We glassed her for about 20 mins and she never moved even a little so we went and retrieved her. It was last day of hunt is another reason I took the shot. Would I shoot that far again, I guess I have to wait and see. Completely destroyed the lungs. I was shooting Winchester Mod 70 300 Win Mag with 180 Barnes TSX tipped BT, Nikon 3x9x40 scope with BDC.

J Batt

WKR
😬

This isn't going to go how you think it is...

To be blunt: You "smacked" a critter, and when you got to where he should be, no blood... No tracks... With snow on the ground...

My guess is you were looking in the wrong spot.

EDIT: To maybe add something constructive here:

Pro-Tip: Have a "Post-Shot Checklist" Not joking.

I made one after having a rodeo like OP's (it had a better ending.) Checklist involves basic things like physically flagging where you took the shot, making GPS pins, laser-ing last known target location, and simple stuff like that. For most of us, your brain is so hopped up on adrenaline after the trigger pull that you forget to do the simple things.

Errors compound from there.

It's surprisingly easy to screw up the post-shot tracking. And if you're bushwhacking 1km before even arriving in the target area.... Oh boy. I'll just say you need to have some damn good bush skills to make it work.

Checklist is a good idea.
This is the only way to reliably find the last known location of game, when solo.
I take an azimuth with my compass, range it with the rangefinder, then I hang something hunter orange or a flashlight at my location . When I get to where I think the animal was I do a back azimuth and range to the orange bandana. Simple math.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many things can be said here and likely as others have said that bull is likely is laying dead….things change so much at distance and unless you mark extremely well it can be super difficult to find the animal without a spotter..several lessons to learn here….better luck on the next round.

Hnthrdr

WKR
This is the only way to reliably find the last known location of game, when solo.
I take an azimuth with my compass, range it with the rangefinder, then I hang something hunter orange or a flashlight at my location . When I get to where I think the animal was I do a back azimuth and range to the orange bandana. Simple math.
If you want to go the techie route, take azimuth and then laze the spot. Use onX or whatnot and draw a line of exact distance to spot. Use topo/satellite to confirm what the terrain/ veg looks like… then make a plan to get there

Does Kifaru even make an azimuth? ;)

Choupique

WKR
I agree with others here, you were probably looking in the wrong place. That is FAR, especially with a canyon to cross to get there.

SOP for me post-shot on any animal where I will have to break eyesight to find it:

Take the shot and shoot again if i need to. Range the spot. Get compass heading. Flag my position. Mark animals spot and my spot on onx.

I even break out the compass when I shoot a squirrel to make sure I walk straight to where it hit the ground.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you want to go the techie route, take azimuth and then laze the spot. Use onX or whatnot and draw a line of exact distance to spot. Use topo/satellite to confirm what the terrain/ veg looks like… then make a plan to get there
I made a product request to OnX YEARS ago to allow you to put an exact azimuth in the product from your current spot. SO many uses for that, including this one! Get it together ONX!!!!

fishslap

WKR
So you got a tip from a local, shot an elk at a dumb range, didn't recover it, and then for a final masterpiece you posted skyline pictures of a very recognizable area, ensuring that spot won't be as good anymore for either you or the local (s) that hunted it.

All in all, pretty damn shameful.
I’ve always wanted to hunt a specific gulch down to the lower right on that pic but it’s too far for me from one direction and too steep to pack out of from the other.

Scoot

WKR
I had the same thing happen to me on a bull I shot with my bow. 128 yards and I hit him really hard. Just never found any blood after we walked 1 1/4+ football fields to find the impact spot... 😁

OP is either trolling or doesn't understand that his defense of his shot is 1) totally inadequate and 2) going to beg for insults from people who know better...

Hnthrdr

WKR
I made a product request to OnX YEARS ago to allow you to put an exact azimuth in the product from your current spot. SO many uses for that, including this one! Get it together ONX!!!!
That would be a sweet addition, maybe they read rokslide posts and will see this?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Tell them yourself tomorrow by registering HERE.

Eddie

Hnthrdr

WKR
I had the same thing happen to me on a bull I shot with my bow. 128 yards and I hit him really hard. Just never found any blood after we walked 1 1/4+ football fields to find the impact spot... 😁

OP is either trolling or doesn't understand that his defense of his shot is 1) totally inadequate and 2) going to beg for insults from people who know better...
I hope this is trolling… if so, well done. If not… may god have mercy on his soul