Rob5589

WKR
You're saying that at nearly 5/8ths of a mile, through a rifle scope, after the shot, you watched the vapor trail hit high shoulder?

rclouse79

WKR
I am guessing that as more “locals” read posts like this they will hand out less “pointers” to non locals.

Things like elk need to be shot as many times as it takes to put them in the cockroach position.

Hence my earlier comment. My next statement will open a can of worms though

When the 6.5PRC came out it was being touted as a Elk round. Dude who was hunting with it/debuting the round shot his elk like 5 times. As I was watching the video and hearing the hits, I literally said to myself "this is not a great look. That bull hasn't even flinched"

Gotta "chootum dead"

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I went back and took another good look at the photos you posted, in particular your rifle, I now see the problem, you are a lefty. :)
That just confirms that he did in fact make a good first shot, and the bull is still down like he said. But then it gets a little more fuzzy from there, because a lefty would have made darn sure he knew exactly where that bull was laying before taking off........and would have even gone back to the shooting spot to verify if he couldn't find it the first time.

At least he deleted the pics of that well recognizable location. That's a plus, but the cat's already out of the bag.

WTFJohn

WKR
I am guessing that as more “locals” read posts like this they will hand out less “pointers” to non locals.

We're already there. I'm happy OP at least wised up enough to delete the pictures. I wonder if he got that locals phone number and gave a call or text to update him? How does he think that would have gone? Does he think he would be welcomed back to that area, or maybe granted some private access from that local's brother?

Rokslide isn't all NR/city guys headed out to the hills. There are more mountain locals here than people realize, and this kind of story is why I don't grant access on our ranch or to the public touching it, or even give pointers anymore at the gas station.

Hnthrdr

WKR
" I got into a heard Sunday morning, smacked a nice 6x6 at 1010 yards"

I wouldn't consider over 1000 yards away being "into" a herd.
I pretty much exclusive archery hunt elk anymore these days lots of reasons but this is a big reason, guys thinking they are into a herd at 1000 yards… archery season you ain’t into them until you are under 100 yards even then the fun doesn’t really start until sub 60

I pretty much exclusive archery hunt elk anymore these days lots of reasons but this is a big reason, guys thinking they are into a herd at 1000 yards… archery season you ain’t into them until you are under 100 yards even then the fun doesn’t really start until sub 60
I had clear shots at 500, 350, and 250 on my bull last fall. However, the outfitter was confident he could keep him coming and wanted it to be as close as possible for highest percentage shot. Ended up shooting him at 80 on the bench below us.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I had clear shots at 500, 350, and 250 on my bull last fall. However, the outfitter was confident he could kepp him coming and wanted it to be as close as possible for highest percentage shot. Ended up shooting him at 80 on the bench below us.
I still rifle hunt mule deer, I think it’s cool when you shot game at archery ranges. Doesn’t always happen and it’s awesome to be able to take pokes out to reasonable ranges (500 and in IMO) but getting close is a lot of the fun and challenge in it for me

I still rifle hunt mule deer, I think it’s cool when you shot game at archery ranges. Doesn’t always happen and it’s awesome to be able to take pokes out to reasonable ranges (500 and in IMO) but getting close is a lot of the fun and challenge in it for me
Bow hunted whitetails since late 90s and couldn't agree more.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
You're saying that at nearly 5/8ths of a mile, through a rifle scope, after the shot, you watched the vapor trail hit high shoulder?
This was my question too. I have only shot that far a handful of times, but when I did I was not able to effectively spot my own impact, even when laying prone with a bipod and rear bag. Shooting across a canyon like that, the wind is likely to be doing different things in different places. And MOA at 1000 is what, 10.47 inches? No way I'm taking that shot on an animal.

Come on guys.....it's only 12 feet of drop at 1k yards. Pretty much a layup. A couple clicks and bingo bango, dead elk.

Solid troll job OP, you got 4 pages of responses