Hnthrdr

WKR
This was my question too. I have only shot that far a handful of times, but when I did I was not able to effectively spot my own impact, even when laying prone with a bipod and rear bag. Shooting across a canyon like that, the wind is likely to be doing different things in different places. And MOA at 1000 is what, 10.47 inches? No way I'm taking that shot on an animal.
Did he take into account the coriolis effect though?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I pretty much exclusive archery hunt elk anymore these days lots of reasons but this is a big reason, guys thinking they are into a herd at 1000 yards… archery season you ain’t into them until you are under 100 yards even then the fun doesn’t really start until sub 60
I've found several dead bulls with arrows lying in the bone pile. Three people on this site have told me they stuck a bull with an arrow this year and didn't find the bull. Spare me the archery BS.

A bad shot is a bad shot.

I've found several dead bulls with arrows lying in the bone pile. Three people on this site have told me they stuck a bull with an arrow this year and didn't find the bull. Spare me the archery BS.

Sure. And there is additional nuance between choosing to take a low probability shot, and just flubbing a chip shot.

Mojave

WKR

That is funny I live in New Mexico and I know 4 hunters that lost bow hunted elk this year.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

This right here! Gatekeeping “archers” are the worst.

Hnthrdr

WKR

I agree a bad shot is a bad shot, and hunting is hunting and shooting is shooting. Let’s not get those two things confused. I get that the long range thing gets thrown around a lot and it is different for different people, different weapon systems. I will stand by my statement that 100 yard shots with a bow on game is irresponsible, and 1000 yards shots with a rifle are in the same boat of being irresponsible. There are not rules around this but as hunters we have to reign ourselves in sometimes.

Also I was talking about why I archery hunt. Having guys shooting over your head at game you are stalking with a rifle from over 1000 yards is something you don’t deal with in September

Dang

I really thought this story was a joke until the OP deleted the title, pictures, and thread.

I don't think the guy who brought up archery meant it in the context of archers get closer, and wound less animals.

I took it as thinking it sounded a little odd that the OP couldn't get closer than 1010 yards, over half a mile from the elk. Then took the shot.

If you have spent decades shooting lots of animals with a bow and arrow, the I couldn't get closer than .57 miles from the bull sounds a little like hogwash.

This is NOT an archery vs rifle thread

It sounds like the OP was probably an inexperienced elk hunter and an inexperienced long range shooter/hunter that made a series of decisions that led to a bad result. If he watched the bull drop at the shot, and sat there for 5 minutes it sounds like the bull was dead. So either the bull didn't drop at the shot, or he was looking in the wrong spot for the elk.

Hopefully he learned some good lessons from this bad experience, and makes some good choices that lead to a punched elk tag next year.

After I figured out this wasn't a joke, you could tell the guy had no clue that basically no one would be saying you did the best you could, and that sucks.

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
😂😂 y’all are ruthless. I’ve gotten lost just going on the other side of rolling hills. There’s a lot wrong here. He should probably run for president. Odds are in his favor.