270 wsm / 6.8 western

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Im waiting to find a 270wsm tikka and spin a 6.8 barrel on it. And kinda waiting for better brass.

6.8 western looks like good for everything cartridge.

I have two x-bolt 6.8 westerns. A long range pro and a Mountain Pro. Mainly using 151 grain Hammer HHT with good accuracy and about 3300 fps. I was planning to take my 300PRC to Alaska this September for Caribou but now I'm thinking about taking the 6.8 Western. If you get one, you can get onto a waitlist for ADG brass in 6.8 Western which should be out the first quarter of 2025. I'm currently using weight sorted Winchester brass and it works fine.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
If you get one, you can get onto a waitlist for ADG brass in 6.8 Western which should be out the first quarter of 2025.
Unknown munitions has this on their ADG brass page. Expected ship date 8/14/2024. Which was updated from last I looked a few months back.

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 16
Unknown munitions has this on their ADG brass page. Expected ship date 8/14/2024. Which was updated from last I looked a few months back.
This would be welcome news! I've had good results with ADG brass in my 300PRC.

My last message from Kevin at ADG was back in April: "Good news first. We are going to manufacture 6.8WSTN. Unfortunately, a date has not been set for our first full production run. It will most likely be Q1 of 2025 (schedules are subject to change). "

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
This would be welcome news! I've had good results with ADG brass in my 300PRC.

My last message from Kevin at ADG was back in April: "Good news first. We are going to manufacture 6.8WSTN. Unfortunately, a date has not been set for our first full production run. It will most likely be Q1 of 2025 (schedules are subject to change). "
I’m hopeful for this year but won’t be surprised if it didn’t get to the market till next year. Then I’ll have to work harder at finding that tikka doner.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I have 8 twist 270 wsm that my son now took over and 2 6.8W. Both super cartridges. 270
WSM brass is made by most folks and ADG and Petersen are adding this year. The 6.8W brass is Win only and ADG is coming soon. In any case the 6.8W factory ammo I have tried is very accurate and deliver advertised velocities and readily available. The Win brass in my 6.8W handloads has been very accurate, however it sells out immediately when Win does a run which can be spotty since they apparently can put all their brass into loaded ammo and have no problem selling it. Be very nice to have ADG as an alternate and I will buy a bunch:). Hope Petersen hops on 6.8W and offers as well since they added WSMs this year and 6.8W is close

Lou

B23

WKR
Curious, if you're intending to shoot the heavy for caliber 270 bullets in the 160-175 range which to my understanding is what Winchester intended with their new 6.8 Western why would you switch from the larger case capacity 270 WSM to the smaller case capacity 6.8W especially if you're going to be shooting the heavy for caliber 270 bullets??

There's not a huge difference in case capacity between the two but for shooting the heavies I'd personally want the one with more case capacity. Even if I had to neck down ADG or Lapua 300 WSM brass so I could use top quality brass I'd still opt for the WSM over the Western but that's me and we all don't see things the same but I am curious why anyone would go Western over WSM.

I guess if you wanted factory ammo with heavier 270 bullets I could see why since I'm not sure anyone loads any of the 160-175 class bullets in factory 270WSM ammo.

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Curious, if you're intending to shoot the heavy for caliber 270 bullets in the 160-175 range which to my understanding is what Winchester intended with their new 6.8 Western why would you switch from the larger case capacity 270 WSM to the smaller case capacity 6.8W especially if you're going to be shooting the heavy for caliber 270 bullets??

There's not a huge difference in case capacity between the two but for shooting the heavies I'd personally want the one with more case capacity. Even if I had to neck down ADG or Lapua 300 WSM brass so I could use top quality brass I'd still opt for the WSM over the Western but that's me and we all don't see things the same but I am curious why anyone would go Western over WSM.

I guess if you wanted factory ammo with heavier 270 bullets I could see why since I'm not sure anyone loads any of the 160-175 class bullets in factory 270WSM ammo.
Twist rate is the big reason. 270wsm is 1:10 and 6.8w is 1:8 per saami. The 270 might not be able to stabilize the heavies.

B23

WKR
Twist rate is the big reason. 270wsm is 1:10 and 6.8w is 1:8 per saami. The 270 might not be able to stabilize the heavies.
Right, I get that but I was thinking more in the sense of if someone were to rebarrel one or build a custom or semi custom why would you not do a fast twist 270 WSM versus the 6.8 Western

Purchasing a gun off the shelf, as you pointed out, if you want to shoot the heavies in a 270 the 6.8W is your only option.

As stated above, the standard spec 270 WSM has a twist too slow for long (heavy) bullets. If you go custom 270 WSM you could certainly get it done. You'd want to have a faster twist barrel and a custom long throat chamber too so that you are not seating the bullet deep into the case thereby negating the larger capacity of the 270 WSM vs 6.8 Western. At that point you will not be able to use a short action and will need a longer standard or mid action. The 6.8 Western is the easy button for factory rifles if you want to shoot heavy.

B23

WKR
As stated above, the standard spec 270 WSM has a twist too slow for long (heavy) bullets. If you go custom 270 WSM you could certainly get it done. You'd want to have a faster twist barrel and a custom long throat chamber too so that you are not seating the bullet deep into the case thereby negating the larger capacity of the 270 WSM vs 6.8 Western. At that point you will not be able to use a short action and will need a longer standard or mid action. The 6.8 Western is the easy button for factory rifles if you want to shoot heavy.
I was thinking along the lines of if using a factory action Tikka would be a good candidate or even a short action Rem 700 with a 3.100 Baney mag box would accommodate a fast twist long throated 270 WSM with the heavies even the very long Berger 170. I've always thought a SA 270 WSM build slinging those Berger 170's would make for a pretty sweet and potent long range hammer, especially, for the folks that are partial to 270's.

mcr-85

WKR
I shoot a 270WSM. It's got a 1-9 twist benchmark barrel and it's a Remington 700 long action. I shoot the 170 EOL at 3050.

I use Norma brass currently. I think there are probably a few better offerings now.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
I shoot a 270WSM. It's got a 1-9 twist benchmark barrel and it's a Remington 700 long action. I shoot the 170 EOL at 3050.

I use Norma brass currently. I think there are probably a few better offerings now.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I remember Kirby Allen used to do a couple different hot rod wildcat 270's that would probably be pretty cool with the Berger 170's. One of them was a necked down RUM case to 270 and the other was his version of a 270 Lapua Improved I think he called it something like a 277 Allen mag or something like that. They didn't have the 170 Berger back then and if I recall he was using some custom made 169.5gr 270 bullets but he was sending them downrange at warp speed.