270 vs 7mm-08 vs 308 vs 30/06

bmart2622

WKR
What youre missing is touting energy as the deciding factory when velocity is whats important. I dont know what the velocities are because I dont shoot those calibers but when you pick a caliber and you pick a bullet you need to pick one that has the required velocity at the max range you intend to shoot for adequate bullet expansion

bmart2622

WKR
I’m against muzzle brakes because of how loud they are and sometimes I just don’t have time to put in ear protection. And I’m against suppressors because of how much length and weight they add and how expensive they are. That being said I’ve seen ported barrels. I know they take away recoil but are they as loud as brakes?
Barrel porting, in my opinion, is not worth doing. A 280 AI might be worth looking into, you can get near 7RM performance with less velocity. Factory ammo might be somewhat scarce though

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
Barrel porting, in my opinion, is not worth doing. A 280 AI might be worth looking into, you can get near 7RM performance with less velocity. Factory ammo might be somewhat scarce though
I was just about to bring up the 280 ai. A 7 mag needs a longer barrel meaning more weight and it’s easier to get caught up. Cutting it down to 22” would provide the same or worse ballistics as a 280 ai with more powder. The 280 just seems like the perfect cartridge IMO. I’d like to keep the standard bolt face size that way if I eventually rebarrel the rifle to 280 ai I don’t need to swap the bolt. I want to see how popular 280 ai is in the next few years before jumping into it

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Its an option. I’ve never shot a 30-06 or 7rm so I don’t know how they compare. Ballistically the 7 mag beats everything. Ammo is a little more pricey but it’s not a problem. I though because it was a magnum it’s recoil would be pretty bad.
Of the cartridges you asked about the .30-06 will recoil the most…the 7RM is pretty similar. It jumps a considerable amount again going to a 300WM.

My .30-06 (Sako A7 no brake…very similar to the Tikka you are considering) is my least favorite rifle to shoot. That said, it’s compact, accurate, and travels out of state easier—I’ve taken more game with it than any any of my other rifles (furthest I’ve taken with it was at 300yds). I enjoy shooting the 7mm-08 and 6.5CM the most—can get plenty of time and rounds in without feeling done after a box down range, and like target shooting them at distance.

bmart2622

WKR
The 7rm mag has a case capacity almost 20grs more than the 3006, with all else being equal, how does it have less recoil than the 3006?

JustMe7

FNG
I have all four. If I was using all your criteria and rifle brand and I had to pick only one I would pick the 270.
I can’t argue that except the rifle:
I’ve owned Tikka rifles in multiple calibers. The .270 win was the worst.
I have owned 30/06’s in Ruger, Savage, Remington, Winchester, . I was not pleased with any of them.
I had given up on the 30/06 until I was offered a NIB Tikka Hunter.
I put a synthetic stock on it and as it was a T3 I pulled the recoil pad and put a limb saver on it.
I was almost in shock at the accuracy and the recoil was less than any other 30/06 I had ever fired. One hole 3 shot groups out of the box with Winchester 150 power points.
I’ve owned tikka rifles in .243, 7mm-08, .308, 25/06, .270, 30/06.
Typically they are amazingly accurate.
The .270 that I had was probably a fluke.
Weatherby s2 vanguard is amazing in .270 win.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
If your goal is truly a one gun all game and done, you only have one choice. 30-06.

The above being stated, the 7mm-08 is no slouch, but 400 yards is about the max distance to truly ethically try to take game.

These days there are more and maybe better choices than the old stand-bys. For shots at the max ranges you stated, one of the newer calibers might be in order. The 6.5 PRC is a nice caliber with better long range potential. It's not so hard to find ammo for it and the recoil is tolerable. I personally wish the 6.8 Western would really get going and the availability of rifles and ammo would improve. I think it is the perfect caliber for what you are trying to do. It's basically a pepped up 270 designed to use heavier for caliber bullets. I wanted to buy one, but at the end of the day I opted for the trusty old 7mm Rem Mag. I don't see me needing to do anything that a 150gr through 175gr bullet won't do and do well at the yardages I am willing to shoot at an animal.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
I know it’s easy to hate but if you’re not a handloader the 6.5 creedmoor is tough to beat.
I know it’s not what the OP included in his list, but I’m shocked there’s not more of this answer. Plenty of velocity for bullet performance out to 600. Cheap and available ammo, and light recoil.

Even a 6creed will get you out to 600.

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
How does the 270 compare to the 7mm-08? 150 gr bullets for the -08, .574 bc. mv 2790.
270 has 8” less drop, and has about 100 more fps and foot lbs of energy at 600 yards. 30-06 has 2” more drop and the same velocity with 200lbs more energy than the 7mm-08. .308 drops 12” more and is going 200 fps slower but has the same energy as the 7mm-08. At 600 yards the 7mm-08 had 1350 ft lbs or energy going 2000 fps. All ammo I used in the ballistics calculator was Hornady precision hunter.

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
I know it’s not what the OP included in his list, but I’m shocked there’s not more of this answer. Plenty of velocity for bullet performance out to 600. Cheap and available ammo, and light recoil.

Even a 6creed will get you out to 600.
I’m just concerned about that small of a bullet. But a 270 isn’t much bigger diameter and both the 270 and 7mm-08 use the same weight bullets as the 6.5. You’re definitely on to something but I don’t know if I trust 6.5s. 6.5 prc has more juice than the creedmoor but it’s almost ballistically identical to the 270.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

This has some good info,
I think with the right bullet and practice of course the 6.5 creed works great for what you are wanting to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric1115

WKR
I don't think anyone has suggested this yet, but a 7mm-08 could be rechambered in .280AI. Mag block and bolt stops are easy mods. Best of all worlds. 162 ELDX factory ammo gets you 2800-2850 MV with a .318 G7 bullet. Plenty of beans for anything out well past 600. A couple hundred bucks at a gunsmith, but no rebarrel necessary.

I don't think anyone has suggested this yet, but a 7mm-08 could be rechambered in .280AI. Mag block and bolt stops are easy mods. Best of all worlds. 162 ELDX factory ammo gets you 2800-2850 MV with a .318 G7 bullet. Plenty of beans for anything out well past 600. A couple hundred bucks at a gunsmith, but no rebarrel necessary.
Good luck finding ammo for that 280ai. On paper it’s a very nice cartridge but in the world it’s almost non existent

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
Good luck finding ammo for that 280ai. On paper it’s a very nice cartridge but in the world it’s almost non existent
There’s quite a few factory loads to choose from, all premium ammo, but they are hard to find in stores

eric1115

WKR
That's true, but you can shoot straight .280 rem out of it as well pretty effectively, and there's multiple in stock options at midway and Brownells right now while you wait for your AI backorder to fill.

atmat

WKR
I’m just concerned about that small of a bullet.
Go read the 223, 6mm, and 6.5mm big game threads. There’s plenty of folks here who use 223s to kill elk cleanly, and that thread explains why/how.

A .308 bullet is is 7.8mm. Do you really think an elk being hit can notice an extra 1.3mm of bullet over a 6.5ceed?