270 vs 7mm-08 vs 308 vs 30/06

TheHammer

WKR
I love my 308s but also a 300wsm, custom/hand loads you can make 3006 near wsm performance. If you are going 7mm a 280ai is a perfect cartridge for about anything in North America. Either the 06 or 280 will serve you well. If I don’t want to use my 308s I grab my wsm or wm.. but that’s just me. You might have different wants/needs.

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
I love my 308s but also a 300wsm, custom/hand loads you can make 3006 near wsm performance. If you are going 7mm a 280ai is a perfect cartridge for about anything in North America. Either the 06 or 280 will serve you well. If I don’t want to use my 308s I grab my wsm or wm.. but that’s just me. You might have different wants/needs.
I don’t hand load yet so over the counter ammo is all I’ve got for now. I hate having a break on a rifle because of the amount of times I’ve had close shots in thick brush where putting in ear protection wasn’t really an option. One day I’m sure this tikka will become a 280ai because it’s just so good, but for now you guys have got me leaning towards the 270 and 30/06. Because of how well my .308 does with those 180gr .30 cal bullets on deer and elk, Im thinking the 30/06. Thank you everybody!

TheHammer

WKR
I don’t hand load yet so over the counter ammo is all I’ve got for now. I hate having a break on a rifle because of the amount of times I’ve had close shots in thick brush where putting in ear protection wasn’t really an option. One day I’m sure this tikka will become a 280ai because it’s just so good, but for now you guys have got me leaning towards the 270 and 30/06. Because of how well my .308 does with those 180gr .30 cal bullets on deer and elk, Im thinking the 30/06. Thank you everybody!
I don’t load but have worked with Jake at unknown munitions with great results! Well
Worth it. For that 06 I’d run a 175lrx at 3000fps and you’d have a very effective and ethical 600yd cartridge. I’m guessing with the new n568 you could easily achieve that!

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
I don’t load but have worked with Jake at unknown munitions with great results! Well
Worth it. For that 06 I’d run a 175lrx at 3000fps and you’d have a very effective and ethical 600yd cartridge. I’m guessing with the new n568 you could easily achieve that!
Just searched them up and it turns out they are pretty close to me. I’ll definitely give them a try. Thank you

TxxAgg

WKR
I've owned all those and others in the T3x line up. I'd pick the 7mm-08 out of those listed based on recoil alone...As in lots of shooting, spotting shots, and getting back on target. I've learned a lot the last couple years here on Rokslide.

For what it's worth my Tikkas are now .223 and 6.5 Swede

I’d just keep your American in .308 unless there is an accuracy issue that’s making you decide to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
I’d just keep your American in .308 unless there is an accuracy issue that’s making you decide to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a very accurate rifle but the more I own it the more it’s flaws bug me. The trigger, stock, and action are all things that need improved. Rather than put a lot of money into a budget ruger to get it where I want, I’d rather purchase a tikka. And tikka has a great aftermarket following if I ever want to put it in a new stock or chamber it in a new caliber.

Id vote .270. I’ve owned a Tikka 30-06 and it was not fun to shoot due to recoil. With factory ammo the 136 gr terminal ascent will get you to 600, as will the 140 Berger load. And I’m sure many others will too.

I’ve seen a pile of elk killed with both .270 and 30-06 and haven’t noticed a bit of difference between the two.

OP
W

Wmidaho

FNG
To the OP, have you ever shot at 600 yards? That’s a loooong way. Respectfully, just because your rifle can do it doesn’t mean you can.

P
I agree 600 is a long ways. I Took my .308 out to 600 on targets with my 3.5-10x40 leupold. That’s the scope I’m putting on my tikka because of how light it is. I would like to close that gap on game but if I ever had a once in a lifetime chance on a huge bull I would like a cartridge capable of 600 yards.
A Tikka with a Limbsaver recoil pad is manageable. The original hockey puck “pad” the T3 came with was awful. The upgraded pad on the T3x is better than the original, but not as good as the Limbsaver.

P
I will put the libsaver on

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone! I’m selling my current ruger American in 308 and I’m buying a tikka. I want one rifle I can keep forever and hunt anything with. The tikkas all have the same length action so a short action caliber has no weight advantage. Keeping in mind this is a light rifle, I want a caliber that can kill any big game in North America (excluding brown bears) without a ton of recoil. I would like to be able to shoot 5-600 yards on elk in the event of a bull of a lifetime but most shots will be between 50-400 yards. My top options are 308, 30/06, 7mm-08 and 270. They are all so similar I’m hoping you guys can push me in the direction of one of them. Thank you in advance and have a great day!
30-06 is the easy button. Any store that has ammo will have it. Reload it with 200 ELDx and you can get close to the 300 WM. Killed several deer and elk with that combo from 75 to 500 yards.

Maverick1

WKR
You are going to get a bunch of personal opinions and they are all going to be “right”. Under 400 yards they essentially perform the same. Just pick one.