270 Gamechanger or Terminal Ascent Elk Mulie

Hey all, I’m a couple points in for WY and could draw Elk and or Mule Deer. I’m going to stick with my 270 Win Browning A-bolt, but I’m looking to go with the 136 gr Terminal Ascent or the 140 Gr Sierra Gamechanger. Which one of these would be most appropriate for elk and mule deer out to 450ish yards?

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
The one that the rifle shoots the best. Either will handle elk and mule deer just fine out of a .270 Win.

It's mole hill mountaineering when you are staying well within the speed range that either bullet will perform at.
Be very proficient with the rifle and use the bullet that shoots best.

Jeremy

Good post, wapiti1. Mole hill mountaineering is a good phrase to describe what goes on these days in A LOT of hunters minds because of what they read.

Reality is the best teacher and many hairs are split to the nth degree because of what is read these days vs decades or more of experience.

Choose what shoots best in your rifle, go kill something with four legs.

How many folks have seen writings by Jack O'Connor, Gary Sitton, John Wooters, Ross Seyfried, Wayne Van Zwoll, Craig Boddington, et al? Funny how they managed to kill the animal at such mundane ranges with stone- age rounds like the .270 and the pedestrian projectiles of the day, lol.

And please for heavens sake, don't shorten the barrel and put a suppressor on a 270...

I’ll echo above that the choice is what shoots best but also add whatever you can buy the most of and practice with. If 1 will shoot a 3/4 inch group but you can only find 1 or 2 boxes that doesn’t do you much good. Compared to if the other shoots 1 inch groups but you can find a case of it your hit chance will go up and that is what ultimately matters most; making a lethal shot.