Best 270 Win bullet for Elk

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot a bunch of elk with a 130grain Barnes Triple Shock and they have done fantastic! My dad has shot a 130 grain Sierra GameKing for 40 years, and it has killed a pile of elk for him! One time I shot a bull that was looking right at me at 130 yards and I pulled that bull off his tail, full body penetration, I was sold at that point.

I've shot a bunch of elk with a 130grain Barnes Triple Shock and they have done fantastic! My dad has shot a 130 grain Sierra GameKing for 40 years, and it has killed a pile of elk for him! One time I shot a bull that was looking right at me at 130 yards and I pulled that bull off his tail, full body penetration, I was sold at that point.
Yep, Barnes monos or others are the way to go for all my game and rifles. 30 years has been enough time with Barnes to know they work and work well. 30 years has also shown other bullet styles work and work well from all the guys I've shared hunting camp with and cooked fresh elk on the campfire.

BDWMT

FNG
Most your bullet choices for 400 yards and closer will work well. Some will outperform others depending on shot placement but most will be adequate. I’ve had great luck with the 140 Accubond for many years. They shoot well, perform well and I’ve built a lot of confidence in that combination. Find one that shoots well and you will have success.

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Probably going to look hard at the 129 LRX, 136 Terminal Ascent, and 150 partitions

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Probably going to look hard at the 129 LRX, 136 Terminal Ascent, and 150 partitions
Good choices, all. Dead elk, deer and pronghorn every time on the receiving end. 129 LRX for the win, IMO.

I would personally use Hornady SUPERFORMANCE ammo with the 130 gr CX. I have a had great luck with the GMX and expect the “new and improved” CX to be as good or better. Look at the ballistics out to 400 yrds.

That said, I am currently using the 155 terminal ascent bullet in my 7mm mag. They fly amazing. I think that bullet in 136 gr would be a good choice as well.

This was a 3 shot group at 300 yards with the terminal ascent in my 7 mm

Sounds like you reload but with Federal premiums flying so well, I will stick with factory.

Attachments

• IMG_8458.jpeg
    IMG_8458.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 26

gman82001

WKR
Daughter one n done a big cow elk at just over 300 with a 130 accobond perfect broadside through and through

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Federal has the 136 gr Terminal Ascent. I ended up picking up a few boxes to play around with. Otherwise, I enjoy my 129 LRX at 3150 FPS.

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning to take my first elk with a .270 this fall. I did a lot of research and the 136 gr terminal ascent looks great on paper as far as velocity and energy downrange. I bought a couple boxes of the terminal ascent along with accubonds, partitions, etc. to take to the range and see what shoots the best.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
For 400 and in, I really like the 130 TTSX in 270 Win.

I have found the TTSX easier to get to shoot than the LRX in a number of different calibers. I generally seat them to the first groove and choose a powder to push them fast.

JFK

WKR
I have loaded the 110gr and 130gr TTSX, 129gr LRX, and 117gr hammers for my 270’s. They all work fine on animals and shoot straight. I choose the 129 lrx for elk as it bucks the wind better than the others during longer shots. I believe the most devastating of the bullets listed above is the 110gr TTSX pushed upwards of 3300fps. It is a mean little bullet inside of 400 yards or so, but they are almost impossible to find now days. If you choose mono bullets push them fast.

kcm2

WKR
I had two ELDX bullets in 6mm, shot from a 6mm Creedmor, expand way too quickly. One was a witnessed shot at 100 yards, lung hit a little high, fall, get up and run away, never to be found again. The 2nd shot, at 275 yards measured, didn't penetrate 4 inches, which was easy to tell when I cleaned it.

So, much as I love the Hornady CX and GMX bullets, the ELDX is not on my list. Hornady makes good stuff, so this may have been an anomaly. But my rule is that if you let me down during hunting season, you get replaced.