26 Idaho nonresident

Fullfan

WKR
Listen most of the day to the idaho zoom meeting about tag sales. Sounds like a draw, but you will be required to buy your hunting license and then pay an application fee. Both nonrefundable.

OP
Fullfan

Fullfan

WKR
From
Draw with a point system or no?
That topic was beat to death, said if they did it for nonresidents than it would have to be the same for residents. No points from what I heard, the nonrefundable purchase of the hunting license and an application fee. They were talking 200-250 total. the meeting went down so many rabbit holes, it is a wonder anything was accomplished. They apparently do not think all the tags will sell, because they spent a lot of time talking about a second draw and left over tags.

Rooster46

FNG
Wow! I sure appreciate the info. I suppose it will just be similar to the controlled tag draw.

sasquatch

WKR
Idk why they can’t fix it the easy way!! The current system is great as you can get in and sort through available tags etc etc

All they HAVE TO DO is close the stupid loop holes. No in person multiple buys, and signing BEFORE entering the “waiting room”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Idk why they can’t fix it the easy way!! The current system is great as you can get in and sort through available tags etc etc

All they HAVE TO DO is close the stupid loop holes. No in person multiple buys, and signing BEFORE entering the “waiting room”

They aren't going to take away outfitters ability to buy tags for clients. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, that was one of the sticking issues with the proposed changes last winter.

They aren't going to take away outfitters ability to buy tags for clients. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, that was one of the sticking issues with the proposed changes last winter.
This is something I really don't understand. When IDFG went to NR quotas for each unit they also created a quota for each outfitter. Why do the outfitters need to participate in the December tag sale at all when they have a separate pool of tags for their clients? They never sell out their quota because every August 1 dozens of unpurchased Outfitter allocation tags get dumped back in the general pool for second tags anyway.

IdahoBeav

WKR
This is something I really don't understand. When IDFG went to NR quotas for each unit they also created a quota for each outfitter. Why do the outfitters need to participate in the December tag sale at all when they have a separate pool of tags for their clients? They never sell out their quota because every August 1 dozens of unpurchased Outfitter allocation tags get dumped back in the general pool for second tags anyway.

There are outfitter tags and clients' tags that outfitters buy for the clients. There is a difference in price and timing of demand.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
Fullfan

Fullfan

WKR

Two of the panel members brought up the otc purchasing. They recemented that a person could buy their tag, and if they wanted to buy a tag for another person. They would have to go to the end of the line. Then other panel members chimed in, saying they stood in line and bought family members tags. For children, brothers, sisters ect, and that would not work. This was for family members that had moved out of state.

Several issues were brought us about outfitters, No one mentioned the outfitters standing in line, or having ppl standing in line. To buy tags from the nonresident pool. The outfitters sold hunts to nonresidents w guaranteed tags.

I'm telling you, I listened for 7-8 hours. It made my head spin.
It was brought up about out of state vendors, and the fact that the vendor had to be within 50 miles of the state line. But that one in Utah was over 50 miles. For some reason it was approved.

They admitted they knew ppl were logging into the system from multiple devices and IP addresses. So, one person could log into the system 6-8 times. Which was and had caused server problems.

It was mentioned about group or party applications. I don't remember where that went.

OP
Fullfan

Fullfan

WKR
I can tell you, last Dec I stood in line for 46 hours. There were three ppl there representing outfitters. And two of the outfitters themselves. I asked the gestion, why are you buying 6-8 and 11 tags from the nonresident pool. I received this answer from both. I can not support my family or my operation with the tags I and given. So, I sell hunts with a guaranteed tag. That is why I'm here in line trying to get tags, and they did.

I can tell you, last Dec I stood in line for 46 hours. There were three ppl there representing outfitters. And two of the outfitters themselves. I asked the gestion, why are you buying 6-8 and 11 tags from the nonresident pool. I received this answer from both. I can not support my family or my operation with the tags I and given. So, I sell hunts with a guaranteed tag. That is why I'm here in line trying to get tags, and they did.
I'm sure there is variability from one unit to another and some outfitters may get enough while others do not but, it's funny how there are always a lot of outfitter tags that go unpurchased before the August 1 deadline.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I can tell you, last Dec I stood in line for 46 hours.
I have successfully bought tags for NR friends ever since the tags started selling out in the first day, and I cannot see how spending anywhere near that much time in line would ever be necessary. I have never been in line longer than an hour and have never missed out on tags.

Drew@selway

Lil-Rokslider
We had a buddy try and buy for us, he was 2nd in line at the store and we still didn't get the tags we were after. The system as a whole sucks, and till the FG can find a way to get elk back thriving in the wilderness areas, this isn't going to get any better.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
At this point whats done is done. Change is coming and a draw is certain.

Personally I am just hoping that NR are not required to purchase a non-refundable license to enter the draw. And if they are required to make that purchase then I at least hope you can have 5+ hunt choices so you at least have a chance at some sort of tag.

I am also hopeful that the "general tag draw" is separate from the controlled hunt tag draw and NR arent forced to either apply for general tags or controlled hunts (obviously those wanting to enter controlled hunts would have to pay the non-refundable license at a later date).

IdahoBeav

WKR
and NR arent forced to either apply for general tags or controlled hunts

For several of the capped OTC tags, residents essentially have to choose between applying for controlled elk or buying an OTC tag.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
Fullfan

Fullfan

WKR

Personally I am just hoping that NR are not required to purchase a non-refundable license to enter the draw. And if they are required to make that purchase then I at least hope you can have 5+ hunt choices so you at least have a chance at some sort of tag.

I am also hopeful that the "general tag draw" is separate from the controlled hunt tag draw and NR arent forced to either apply for general tags or controlled hunts (obviously those wanting to enter controlled hunts would have to pay the non-refundable license at a later date).
There is no doubt after what I heard, Nonresidents will have to buy a hunting license (180.00) ish and pay an application fee. Both being nonrefundable, just to enter the said draw. This was the one thing the entire panel agreed upon.

After a couple of years of NR's having to purchase a license to enter the draw and not drawing, they are going to want something in return. A point system for NR's will be in place within 5 years.