Hunter’s safety card

In the state of Colorado do you need a physical copy of your hunter’s safety card n your person to purchase a license or even hunt?

CRJR45

WKR
Last year I forgot mine , but had a picture of it . The clerk at WallyWorld said technically a physical copy was required but he could see I had used it the year before that , so he did it anyway . First time I'd definitely want the actual certificate , if it were me ...

In the state of Colorado do you need a physical copy of your hunter’s safety card n your person to purchase a license or even hunt?
Depends where you go to purchase it. I’ve has some stores require it and walked across the street to another store that sold me licenses.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends where you go to purchase it. I’ve has some stores require it and walked across the street to another store that sold me licenses.
If your license doesn't have the verified hunters ED on it (JakeSCH showed the details) you technically have to have your hunters ED in hand while hunting. If you get your license checked by a warden and don't have it on hand you could get dinged.

I've gotten my CO stuff verified for myself and the kids but when I go to other states I carry a copy of my hunters ED. I've gotten checked in WY and they wanted to see it.

I was able to have MI DNR email me a copy of mine when I forgot it back home. It took about an hour to get to the right person who could do it, but that should help someone out if they forget it, like me. I’ve never been asked for it by a game warden.

TaperPin

WKR
On a January morning a Wyoming game warden knocked on the door with ticket book in hand to write me a ticket for not having a hunter safety card on file in the computer, yet an animal was recorded at a game processor. My beat up original card from 1978 was all he needed to see - apparently the old records didnt make into the newer database. lol

Many western states actually enforce game laws, so it cracks me up when guys have to learn the hard way.

Jakerex

WKR
Buy your license at a CO CPW office with your physical hunters safety card. Once you do that, you’ll get the “V” verified mark on your license in their system, and not need to show it ever again when buying a license.

If you buy at a normal retailer, you don’t get the “V” and will have to continue to show it every year when you purchase a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I saw a game warden at a Colorado trail head give a ticket for only having a photo copy of hunter ed. He seemed to have a burr in his butt for these guys.

I had a withered old paper card for Hunter Ed but Oklahoma updated to one that looks like a credit card so I got one. I'm well past the age for the requirement in most states but I just carry it with my tag and drivers license just in case the warden is bad at math and can't figure my age.

Weldor

WKR
On a January morning a Wyoming game warden knocked on the door with ticket book in hand to write me a ticket for not having a hunter safety card on file in the computer, yet an animal was recorded at a game processor. My beat up original card from 1978 was all he needed to see - apparently the old records didnt make into the newer database. lol

Many western states actually enforce game laws, so it cracks me up when guys have to learn the hard way.
Mine was from 1973, finally fell apart. Had them send me a new one, was really suprised they had it in the system as it was way before Databases.

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
You can also get verified by emailing cpw. I sent them my hunter’s ed documentation. Now when I purchase my Colorado license it automatically prints out verified.

Cfriend

FNG
The first time I ever went elk hunting I forgot my card - didn't have a lot of experience buying out of state license and didn't even think of it. We were on our way to Colorado and my heart sank when around Kansas (driving from Maryland) my buddy mentioned something about needing the card.

Had family send me a picture of it. Then went to a CPW office. They called MD to verify the number, then sold me the license. My license now has the "v" so I don't need to have it anymore.

Ended up losing a day of hunting because of it but did get an elk anyway...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
You can also get verified by emailing cpw. I sent them my hunter’s ed documentation. Now when I purchase my Colorado license it automatically prints out verified.

Seconding this. Sent an email to the address below with a digital snap shot of my hunter ed card and they were able to manually verify my account and confirmed that means I will not longer need to carry a copy.

1726256405101.png

Taudisio

WKR
Reminds me of the time my grandma had to overnight ship my dad’s hunter safety card to Colorado. Before smart phones, in the floppy disk/dial up internet days. Saved him a ticket.

Seth

WKR
A friend lost two days hunting in CO a couple of years ago. He was checked on the Saturday opener, didn’t have his card, had his license marked and waited until Monday to go into a CPW office to sort it out. Get it verified or carry it.

I called CO Wildlife last week asking about this because I couldnt find my card from a decade ago, they said since I have had previous tags there it would be in the system and I would not need to present it. So if you have hunted CO previously you should be fine if you go to to one of their offices. A random shop might give you issue.

TSAMP

WKR
I know a guy who never took hunter safety. Literally got a license to hunt with his cousin and picked 1 digit past his cousins hunter safety ID at the register to buy his tag. He has been hunting 10 years now. Still never took it. Multiple states. I tease him about it, as it can be done online these says.

I'm guilty of just carrying a scanned copy on my phone of mine.

Poser

WKR
There has to be a more reasonable way to handle this. Relying on people to have a paper card from a class they may have taken when they were 12 years old seems like a stretch given modern technology. If states are insistent upon hunters safety verification, then they need a shared database. The amount of man hours spent dealing with this detail alone is absurd.

There is a service that will print you a paid credit card for your hunters safety, I just keep mine in my bino harness at all times.