Kansas NR Deer Draw - New Rule Being Enforced Heads Up

Grundy53

WKR
Add nevada to the list of western states that require it. Most states I apply for require it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

huntdoc

FNG
I see these license requirements as my way of supporting game departments in other states and hopefully maintain the ability to hunt there again in the future. A donation basically.

seems wrong to make me pay $125 for a license I will not use if I do not get drawn is a total scam, I do not mind paying for the point if not drawn but this seems excessive.
Welcome to the party, pretty much every state is that way. Pay my dues to Colorado, Idaho, Utah, Oregon, New Mexico, Arizona, South Dakota, and Washington every year. It sucks but managing wildlife isn’t free and there’s a reason we apply for those states.

I see these license requirements as my way of supporting game departments in other states and hopefully maintain the ability to hunt there again in the future. A donation basically.

And as @realunlucky mentioned, federal funding of state fish and game agencies is calculated, in part, considering license sales. So states may get $1 from me for the license, and another $0.50 from the feds for having sold the license. It's essentially a subsidized license/opportunity.

You don't have to have a hunting license to apply in Kansas for points only. Just bought a point myself and it was $28.32.

Just went and double checked. I haven't bought a hunting license there in a few years. Just points in case I decide to go back.

OP
S
Would not let me check out without adding the license. That is why I called them. Resident may be different. No biggy this year as I should get drawn.

Last edited:
Would not let me check out without adding the license. That is why I called them. Resident may be different. No biggy this year as I should get drawn.
I was doing points only. Maybe if you're actually putting in for a hunt. 🤷‍♂️

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
I had no issues just getting a point a couple days ago. No liscense required. Was not putting in for the draw. Points only.

I have been deer hunting in a Kansas for years, maybe 20 now, a buddy has a few sections in prime unit 16. I have done bow and rifle over the years. With rifle I usually enter and get drawn every other year, getting a preference point in between.

After I drew a tag I still needed to get my general NR hunting license, no problem.

Well, apparently since 2018 it was a requirement to buy your general NR hunting license ALONG with your NR Deer application. It was never enforced on their online licensing system, and you could check out with just your NR Deer Tag Application.

Well, they changed the system so now you cannot check out with your NR Deer Tag Application unless buying the general NR hunting license, $125 cost, as well. I called to confirm this with KDWP and found out about the rule change in 2018, but they just fixed the online portal this year.

Not a big deal this year as I should get drawn but seems wrong to make me pay $125 for a license I will not use if I do not get drawn is a total scam, I do not mind paying for the point if not drawn but this seems excessive. The KDWP lady told me she has received lots of complaints already about it and it just opened 4-1.

Am I way off base here?? Thanks Spence
Purchasing a "qualifying" hunting license has been a prerequisite for many years to enter big game draws in most Western states. In most cases it applies to residents and NRs. IMO, it's a State $ grab termed as "pay to play". I enjoy hunting so much that it just doesn't bother me and just budget for it.

Mojave

WKR
Many states require it, AZ for one. CO requires you buy a small game permit.

We have a country in Europe that has a lottery for some species. You front the trophy fee, and if you don't get drawn they send your money back.

If you do not hunt, or have bad weather and don't get one you still forfit the trophy fee.