257 Roberts… pretty sure it’s junk, but….

Probably 1960s. Out of closet along with 7-8 other rusted up clunkers.

Still curious about mfg. all I can find is this one makers mark.

Bolt frozen up…. Which of course could be result of these screws. No idea why they in there.

Attachments

• IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 194

robtattoo

WKR
It would help to pull the action from the stock & maybe remove the scope mounts. Most of Mausers are stamped underneath, behind the front recoil lug (it's a Mauser action, by the way. I'm strongly leaning towards it originally being an Arisaka variant, judging from the cocking piece) Does the bolt handle have an egg-shaped/long vertical oval knob?

Photos from the right side would help ID immensely.

I'd bet hard money that the modern screws are filling holes from an old side mount & if they're too long, yep, they'd lock the bolt up.

OP
P
It would help to pull the action from the stock & maybe remove the scope mounts. Most of Mausers are stamped underneath, behind the front recoil lug (it's a Mauser action, by the way. I'm strongly leaning towards it originally being an Arisaka variant, judging from the cocking piece) Does the bolt handle have an egg-shaped/long vertical oval knob?

Photos from the right side would help ID immensely.

I'd bet hard money that the modern screws are filling holes from an old side mount & if they're too long, yep, they'd lock the bolt up.
Starboard side.

I appreciate all of y’all’s information. It seems like a good gun for my boy as a first Whitetail weapon.

No idea why those modern screws are in there. Anyway, I’ll keep researching thank y’all.IMG_2179.jpegIMG_2180.jpeg

OP
P
What in the world do y’all think those screws are for? I can’t for the life of me. Figure out why that was done.

go_deep

WKR
Are the screws a way to "lock" the bolt? Kind of like a safety mechanism?

Those screws might have been for a different kind of scope mount.

OP, be very wary of labeling any of that stuff junk. More than a few sporterized bring-backs from Germany and Japan were built into absolute tack-drivers by the best gunsmiths of the era - some can simply be great, solid guns, and some may be worth some good money. That scope, for instance...

robtattoo

WKR
Those screws might have been for a different kind of scope mount.

OP, be very wary of labeling any of that stuff junk. More than a few sporterized bring-backs from Germany and Japan were built into absolute tack-drivers by the best gunsmiths of the era - some can simply be great, solid guns, and some may be worth some good money. That scope, for instance...

The screws are 100% for an old, side mount scope. Unless they were filled into the bolt to render it inert. Unscrew em & have a look...

Speaking of the scope, R&S is dead on the money. For someone to have installed that quality of (Malcolm? Unertl?) scope on a varmint rifle, you can bet good money it was a track driver in its day. That scope & external adjusting mounts are probably worth more than everything else that was in the safe.

Remove the scope & mounts. CAREFULLY.
Get the barreled action out of the stock & give the entire thing a 4 day soak in kerosene or diesel to free up the action.

Then get on the Mauser section of 24hr Campfire & those guys will tell you how to strip it right down to clean (it's not at all difficult) Type 99s are common & comparatively inexpensive, so spare parts are abundant. It's definitely worth resurrecting.

OP
P
The screws are 100% for an old, side mount scope. Unless they were filled into the bolt to render it inert. Unscrew em & have a look...

Speaking of the scope, R&S is dead on the money. For someone to have installed that quality of (Malcolm? Unertl?) scope on a varmint rifle, you can bet good money it was a track driver in its day. That scope & external adjusting mounts are probably worth more than everything else that was in the safe.

Remove the scope & mounts. CAREFULLY.
Get the barreled action out of the stock & give the entire thing a 4 day soak in kerosene or diesel to free up the action.

Then get on the Mauser section of 24hr Campfire & those guys will tell you how to strip it right down to clean (it's not at all difficult) Type 99s are common & comparatively inexpensive, so spare parts are abundant. It's definitely worth resurrecting.
Will back out screws and see if I can throw bolt.

Also have this one from same same. Rem 222 with fully function bolt and trigger. Seems a bit newer. Sako Finland.

Also got a single shot .410, a functioning A5 (imagine that… hahaha),some pellet guns, and a 22.

IMG_2196.jpegIMG_2197.jpegIMG_2198.jpeg

OP
P
IMG_2203.jpegIMG_2201.jpegIMG_2205.jpegSingle shot Winchester 22 short.

The beat up, A5

Amd a bolt action .410 with a tube that is in absolutely horrible shape.

Attachments

• IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2199.jpeg
    IMG_2199.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 22

Tmac

WKR
There were plenty of those converted to 6.5x257. I think to make one an actual 257 Roberts it would need to have been rebarreled. Might be a good idea to verify the barrel diameter if not actually cast the chamber.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
I just came back to suggest the exact same thing.

Also, FYI: depending on the magnification, overall condition & clarity, those Unertl Vernier scopes are generally worth $1000-1800.

Be effing careful with it! 🤣

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
My buddy inherited a Browning humpback like that one with the wee front bead and it was from 1934.

Serial Number checklists are online.

View attachment 758059View attachment 758060View attachment 758061Single shot Winchester 22 short.

The beat up, A5

Amd a bolt action .410 with a tube that is in absolutely horrible shape.

Man, you keep turning up diamonds in the rough.

That Browning? It was made in the first 5 or 6 years of manufacture, before 1909. That safety inside the triggerguard is the giveaway. They went to a different design, still in the guard, but further forward until the 1950s. That's a rare gun man.

Also, it may look rough as hell, but google Turnbull Restoration, if you aren't interested in keeping it in that original-used/worn condition.

OP
P
There were plenty of those converted to 6.5x257. I think to make one an actual 257 Roberts it would need to have been rebarreled. Might be a good idea to verify the barrel diameter if not actually cast the chamber.

Hmmm. Well, there's a .257 stamp on it.

???