Stockys Carbon Fiber Stock for Savage

I ordered myself an early Christmas gift and let me tell you, it was a lot to swallow spending $600 on just a stock. It arrived today. This is Stockys Next Gen Ultra Carbon short action stock for Savage in Strata camo.

First impressions:

1) It's light alright. 21 oz. is what they advertise and 21 oz. it is on the nose. That's 7 oz. lighter than the factory Savage Accufit for the Ultralight rifles. The factory tupperware stock is already one of the lightest options you can choose, but they managed to shave a full 6 oz. off of that, which is very impressive.

2) It's stiff! Zero forened flex in this one! No chance of the barrel touching the stock.

3) The barrel channel fits the Proof Research barrel for the factory Savage Ultralight absolutely perfectly. Best barrel fit tolerance I've seen in a LONG time.

4) You need bottom plastic or metal to use this stock. AND a trigger guard. So it's not exactly a true "drop-in" stock if you don't have these parts already. I pulled them off my factory Ultralight stock for now but I'll have to order replacements for that stock which will run about $20 for the bottom plastic plus ??? for the trigger guard + bolt release whenever I can find one.

5) The rear-most trigger guard screw has NOTHING to screw in to. They drilled the same size hole for this screw as the other action screws so if you have the plastic bottom components (like the Ultralight wears) you will have to use a wall anchor or something to take up the space in that hole so you can use your factory rear trigger guard screw. I found this to be extremely annoying. I understand why they do it - because screwing in what is essentially a wood screw into that CF stock material will probably crack it. But if you're not very handy, this could prove to be a problem for some folks.

6) The inletting for the bottom metal/plastic is hit or miss. It's flush at the front end and too deep toward the trigger. They also missed the camo dip around the tang. Again, pretty annoying for a $600 stock but it isn't a deal breaker.

7) The thin Limbsaver recoil pad is very well done and quite nice. Seems like all you should need, which I appreciate.

8) The grip area is fatter than the factory Tupperware stock and the comb height is lower. I'll adapt, but I really, really like the shape and size of the new Savage factory stocks, so I'm a bit disappointed I'll have to adjust from those.

9) It's SLICK. That factory camo has zero texture and this one is pretty slick. Kinda makes me wish I'd bought the raw carbon fiber version and painted it with a textured spray paint. But the camo looks pretty good so I'll adapt. Just don't wear any cotton camo gloves with these or they will slip right out of your hands!

10) The synthetic mounting blocks appear to be doing their job because the action sits nice and square and the barrel sits even in the channel.

Now it's off to the range to see how it shoots. I'm expecting it to tame recoil pretty well and I hope it shoots great.

The rifle you see is a factory 22" Ultralight Proof Research barrel (2 lbs. 4 oz. in 6.5 CM) on a standard short action (2 lbs. 3 oz.) with the Stocky CF stock (1 lb. 5 oz.), Talley rings (3 oz. ) and a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 scope (11.1 oz.) for a total of 6 lbs. 10 oz. as you see it. If I dropped my .308 Ultralight barreled action into this stock, that rifle would finish at just 6 lbs. 6 oz. scoped !!!

Attachments

• AA87CAB6-E418-4011-AB99-122D0936F202.jpeg
    AA87CAB6-E418-4011-AB99-122D0936F202.jpeg
    637 KB · Views: 336
  • 5BAAD612-7A85-4D5B-AA98-D97FD2AD1B30.jpeg
    5BAAD612-7A85-4D5B-AA98-D97FD2AD1B30.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Pics of the inletting

Attachments

• 10D15EEF-7DD4-4916-8C02-6B9EFE85D0CE.jpeg
    10D15EEF-7DD4-4916-8C02-6B9EFE85D0CE.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 62FCCD16-DD54-492B-9686-D2527EDBC7E3.jpeg
    62FCCD16-DD54-492B-9686-D2527EDBC7E3.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 64196445-704B-4A19-B696-99A0F8381B9C.jpeg
    64196445-704B-4A19-B696-99A0F8381B9C.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Pics of tang area and rear trigger guard screw hole compared to the factory ultralight stock. I colored in the area around the rear tang with a gold and black sharpie.

Attachments

• B0D31F24-3BA8-453D-81DB-7AFD996ABDC5.jpeg
    B0D31F24-3BA8-453D-81DB-7AFD996ABDC5.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 066F57A9-8991-4117-A690-7B6BB2024383.jpeg
    066F57A9-8991-4117-A690-7B6BB2024383.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 7E2DB491-13BB-4A29-A6CD-7585BA984D47.jpeg
    7E2DB491-13BB-4A29-A6CD-7585BA984D47.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 145
My son just bought the same stock. It didn't come with the hardware for the rear of the triggerguard like yours. I called them up and they sent the specialized nut and bolt required for it. They said it should have been in the box. Also the front receiver bolt off the old stock was too short to work with the new stock. Did you run into that ? Not really happy with direct drop in advertising for a specific gun and then having issues with hardware, especially for the price of the stock.

magnum

FNG
Nice job, Newtosavage. That’s a good looking setup! I debated between Stocky’s and Mesa precision for a build I’m working on. Ultimately I ordered a Mesa precision but I have hopes that Stocky’s will offer a Savage long action inlet at some point. I’d like to use this stock on a long action I have.

I’m pleased to see carbon fiber stock manufacturers are finally getting around to the Savage inlets. Savages are a fairly untapped market for high end stocks. I presume there are plenty of guys like us out there looking to improve rigidity and overall quality while reducing weight versus the factory Savage offering.

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
My son just bought the same stock. It didn't come with the hardware for the rear of the triggerguard like yours. I called them up and they sent the specialized nut and bolt required for it. They said it should have been in the box. Also the front receiver bolt off the old stock was too short to work with the new stock. Did you run into that ? Not really happy with direct drop in advertising for a specific gun and then having issues with hardware, especially for the price of the stock.
Didn't run into the front receiver bolt issue. But I would have liked to have had the custom screw/nut for the rear trigger guard in my box too. I looked for it but it wasn't there so I improvised.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Is the butt higher than factory stock, is that why you expect it to tame recoil while weighing lighter?
No, because I've had a CF foam filled stock before and it really crushed recoil, so I'm hoping this does the same. Not too worried about it on this 6.5 CM barreled action, but if I drop my .308 ultralight barreled action into it, at 6 lbs. 6 oz. and a stiff load, there will be some stout recoil.

OP
Newtosavage
Been handling this stock/rifle off and on all day. If I’m being honest I am not a fan of the ergonomics. Grip is fatter than I like and the comb height is lower than I like. Feels a bit “clunky” in the hands. Stock is so light that my rifle is now nose heavy. The slick finish isn’t good either. I may be returning it. Kinda disappointed since this was my Christmas gift. I really had high hopes for it.

sndmn11

WKR
I would prefer a raw one that I could paint with textured paint.
We did ours with spongied dura coat and that gave it enough texture. The raw itself was smooth but not slick at all because it has no clear coat. If you call they will sell an unpainted one even though they aren't listed.

I find that V2 pattern comfortable.

OP
Newtosavage
We did ours with spongied dura coat and that gave it enough texture. The raw itself was smooth but not slick at all because it has no clear coat. If you call they will sell an unpainted one even though they aren't listed.

I find that V2 pattern comfortable.
Thanks. That’s good advice.

OP
Newtosavage
I'm sending this stock back but Stocky's is going to charge me a 10% return fee. So before I do that, I'll ask if anyone here wants this stock at $500 shipped to them. That's $100 off a new one.

Let me know ASAP as I'll probably put this in the mail this week.

RS3579

WKR
I'm sending this stock back but Stocky's is going to charge me a 10% return fee. So before I do that, I'll ask if anyone here wants this stock at $500 shipped to them. That's $100 off a new one.

Let me know ASAP as I'll probably put this in the mail this week.
Do you think the grip and forend would be better if the buyer applied their own textured paint? Is it worth it or just get the carbon one and do the entire stock in a textured paint? I like the olive colored one.

OP
Newtosavage
Do you think the grip and forend would be better if the buyer applied their own textured paint? Is it worth it or just get the carbon one and do the entire stock in a textured paint? I like the olive colored one.
If I did it over, I’d get the unpainted one and spray it myself with textured paint

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Can't comment on this specific version of the stock, but Stocky's in general has been very iffy for me. I bought a stock for a Howa Mini Action and received a stock with the wrong barrel channel and enough cosmetic issues that I ahve to believe it wasn't new. Scuffs in the paint down to bare carbon, dents around the inlet, and even a couple sizeable chips. Sending out a stock so obviously beat up would have been questionable even if I'd just paid their blem pricing, but for full price it was absolutely ridiculous, wrong barrel channel profile aside. They spent a while dickering about charging me a restock fee *and* for return shipping, and only relented when I threatened a chargeback.

Replacement was decently quick, but the new stock had issues like an uneven barrel channel (almost a half millimeter of material had to be removed), and a front sling stud screw that was about 1/16" too long (and protruded enough into the channel to contact the barrel). Nothing some sandpaper and a hacksaw didn't fix, but I'm not sure that's really something you should have to worry about on a $600 stock (especially the screw issue; if you didn't catch it you'd just have it digging into your barrel with every shot).

But most baffling of all, their mold seems to have left out a small notch near the trigger shoe inlet that allows the safety to swing fully forward. Without this notch, you can't put the safety fully forward and you have a dead gun! This notch is present on all of the Hogue stocks that Howas come in from the factory, and even on the Stocky's sporter stocks sold on Howa OEM rifles, so why Stocky's decided to leave it out on this model of stock I just can't understand. Again, I shouldn't have had to take a file to a $600 stock, but Stocky's never responded to followup emails so I was left without any other option.

I will say that the stock is otherwise well made, and after the work was done the gun does shoot well. I just don't know if it's worth rolling the dice on their QA/QC and CS.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I see that Mesa is now offering their Altitude Sock with the Savage Inlet (currently short action but was told by Mesa that long action will be available in mid to late 2023). I have one of these on my Tikka and it was a perfect drop in. For comparison I have Stocky VG Mini Carbon Fiber for my Howa Mini Action. The fit and finish of the Mesa stock is definitely better. It also has some texturing on the forend and grip. Having had samples from both I will be going with the Mesa for my Savage 280 AI UL when the long action inlet drops.

OP
Newtosavage
I see that Mesa is now offering their Altitude Sock with the Savage Inlet (currently short action but was told by Mesa that long action will be available in mid to late 2023). I have one of these on my Tikka and it was a perfect drop in. For comparison I have Stocky VG Mini Carbon Fiber for my Howa Mini Action. The fit and finish of the Mesa stock is definitely better. It also has some texturing on the forend and grip. Having had samples from both I will be going with the Mesa for my Savage 280 AI UL when the long action inlet drops.
Very interesting. Thanks!