.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
No problem at all. Adequate penetration. With frontal shots an understanding of the animals anatomy is as important as the bullet selected. A low chest shot with the bullet striking above the heart and not high enough to destroy the lungs can result in a runner.

Here: I shot this with a 77TMK front on
I bought the upgraded version of that scope thanks to you and these videos you keep posting. The DNT Thermnight that also throws in thermal as well. So, thank you haha.

Taudisio

WKR
Presumably melt or dissolve the lead and measure the wall thickness with a ball micrometer that measures to .0001”. It would be pretty simple.
I’m doubtful.

If he did, I’d be curious if he took a sample of 10 for the exact same bullet/lot number and he couldn’t find the same, 1/15th of a hair, difference between them.

Taudisio

WKR
Nope, pretty sure he only measured one of each. With an “optical Comparator”.
I doubt that bullet diameter is verified within 0.0002 let alone the cup thickness.

Jay
I think we all agree they are the same construction as the v-max, just heavier/longer with a boat tail is where we are going with this.

Which is a great thing, making it a “heavy for caliber, expanding, tipped bullet” according to the results here and @Formidilosus recommendations. Bonus is the price of them for more practice per $ for the non-reloader.

One more data point, a young Mule deer forky yesterday. 75 gr ELDM at 2915 mv.

No necropsy as I shot him close to dusk and I was flying solo. Not a lot of time to gut, drag, get to camp, hang/skin/etc. before full dark.

I was set up for 500 yards but of course he showed up at 80 yards, far to the right of my position picture. He saw me move and I rushed the shot a bit, hitting high. Took out the spine so he dropped on the spot but both lungs were shredded also. I might find bullet fragments when I butcher.

Overwatch

IMG_5043.jpeg

As he lay.

IMG_5046.jpeg

Prior to gutting

IMG_5052.jpeg

Interesting palmation of his horns.

P