.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Any experience with the Hornady 75gr BTHP?

I do, on whitetails and black bears.
Not in the same category at all. They deflect a little easier as near as I can tell, and don't open up the same. They will crush shoulders if you are reasonably broadside and break bones, and that is your best bet as near as I can tell if you are using them.

Seem to be a little harder maybe than the others in the category, and need a lot of resistance and impact velocity. I only tried them as I thought they might be a bit tougher than the 75 Amax I had been using. Turns out that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Blaw

WKR
My guess is that it will kill fine for most uses, however the penetration is on the low end. The 100gr 6.5 version should be just fine for killing.

Those bullet with a tapered jacket from from the ELD-X would be fantastic- like a TMK.
@Formidilosus or anyone else.
anymore info on the hornady eld-vt 100gr bullet for the 6.5 creed. I'm shooting an 18.5" barrel with Winchester staball 6.5
I seem to get 200ish fps less that max velocity on imr's calculator. I should get around 3050fps mv

that would be a slick little bullet getting me out to 650ish yards with 1800fps being the impact velocity goal.

Jt89

FNG
@Formidilosus or anyone else.
anymore info on the hornady eld-vt 100gr bullet for the 6.5 creed. I'm shooting an 18.5" barrel with Winchester staball 6.5
I seem to get 200ish fps less that max velocity on imr's calculator. I should get around 3050fps mv

that would be a slick little bullet getting me out to 650ish yards with 1800fps being the impact velocity goal.
I definitely want to see some ELD-VT necropsy photos. To my mind they're everything a Lapua Scenar/Berger with the large cavity behind the open tip *should* be were it not for their tougher jackets.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I am only on page 68 and post 1341... still playing catchup. I have already order 200 rounds of loaded 77gr TMK and do not own a rifle yet. I was thinking about a 223 AI and based on this reply, you have or had one. The beauty of the AI is you can shoot standard 223 rem or 223 AI. What accuracy were you seeing firing standard 223 rem out of your 223 AI? Is it worth building a 223 AI for extra velocity when you reload and still have the pleasure of picking up shelf ammo if you want/need? Or does it only make sense to get the 223 AI if you are more or less hand loading?

In central TX we do not get many deer over 200#. Hogs on the other hand, we have had above 290 (3x) but never broke 300#. This sounds like a fun setup to hunt hay fields for the deer/hog/coyote.

I have seen hog pictures but I have not seen "big" hog pictures. Are they carrying them off, people are not talking about it? I wouldn't think that big hogs are tougher than moose... but they can have a 2-3" thick shield outside the shoulder. Not sure about moose hide/shield... feel free to educate me with regard to big hogs as well.

*At this rate, I will get to the end of this thread in the next 6 months!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEastID