.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

z987k

WKR
Elusive Kimber Montana in 223 ready to rock.

Curious to see if the 9 twist will stabilize TMKs at my elevation, will shoot 75 BTHPs and 62 Fusions if they don't cooperate.
View attachment 727775
I know the tmk is the end all but for slow twist guns the 79gr DRT which is also a fragmenting round, is tungsten which is heavier and therefore shorter than lead will stabilize at sea level in a 9 twist.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Any thoughts on the Starline brass? I'm considering Starline for other calibers if it's decent.
I just picked some up for service rifle loads. Seems to be good so far in testing/practice. I'll be shooting a match next week with it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

@PNWGATOR I'm contemplating a Nilgai hunt on South Texas next year. I WANT to believe, but what says the hive mind? This is given they allow it with a 300WM minimum stipulation, but they allowed my parents to use a 7mmRM back in the 80s with two bulls on the ground for their efforts. Their consideration for diverting from the requirement was a little smaller of a gap than what I'm asking, but we'll see!
They die like anything else when shot in the right spot. The commentary on this video after the 223 kills is exactly the tom-fuddery I'd expect when someone sees it in person for the first time. Like others have said, the vitals are more forward than most American game so it adds to the mystique when people take a "classic lung shot" and it runs off into the scrub brush never to be seen again. I did a hunt last year in a muzzleloader/shotgun only area and saw a few fall to ballistics that a centerfire deer rifle would scoff at.

Last edited:

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Elusive Kimber Montana in 223 ready to rock.

Curious to see if the 9 twist will stabilize TMKs at my elevation, will shoot 75 BTHPs and 62 Fusions if they don't cooperate.
View attachment 727775
My 9 twist savage stabilizes them good enough at sub 1k feet, shoots surprisingly good groups for being a $300 rifle.

That was this spring at 40-50 degrees or so. Need to test again at 20 degrees or so to know for sure if I would trust them hunting. Just in case it doesn’t I have a separate load worked up for my 7 twist AR. Less powder because they’re seated deeper in the AR.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the video, great stuff!
I have never shot the DRT bullet, I wonder how different the 77TMK would be on a Nalgai?
Likely would be fine!

SloppyJ

WKR
Who’s going to show this to KB with Q and tell him he’s wasting his time with those 8.6BLK?
But the energy with a 3 twist barrel is unmatched! I really wanted to like that round but good god there's nothing about it to like outside of a suppressed range toy.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
But the energy with a 3 twist barrel is unmatched! I really wanted to like that round but good god there's nothing about it to like outside of a suppressed range toy.
Even before reading this thread, I would've taken a .223 over an 8.6 BLK. If you use subs, the trajectory is about like a throw from right field to home. If you use supers, it's an expensive 30-30.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
For those interested, the 9 twist Kimber Montana I posted a page back shoots AAC 77tmks well. My elevation is 3300 feet. It was just shy of 80 degrees, 49% humidity. Nice round holes out to 300. Will continue to add data under varied conditions, and hopefully try some black hills TMKs as well.

The 75 grain Hornady Superformance BTHP and 62 grain fusions both put 5 shots around 1" at 100, TMKs slightly larger than that, but more than acceptable for a 500 yard setup imho.

Xnoheros

FNG
77g Norma Match out of a RAR

106 yards on a black bear.

First round Center punched him and he huffed blood and took off up the hill. For sure mortally wounded but if he’s moving I’m shooting. Paused at 120 and took a second round and a third to the spine. Rolled back down the hill, and I put another one to be sure.

Recovered 3 of the bullets, on the far side of the bear under the skin. First wound channel went straight through the boiler, one obliterated the spine, and one broke the upper front shoulder.

IMG_4556.jpegIMG_4555.jpeg
IMG_4554.jpeg

I had a buddy that shot a few pigs down south a few months back with some 77gr TMKs, but I don’t know if any were a boar, let alone a big boar. I will reach out and ask him.

philcox

WKR
I have NOT read all 382 pages of this, so asking ... Is there a FAQ or similar on 223 projectiles that are in the same "class" (e.g., all have "similar" incapacitation results). For example the 77 TMK is touted as a top performer. Is there an equivalent ELDM, ELDX, DRT, etc. and weight that would compare? @Formidilosus if 77 TMK did not exist, what is your 2nd or even 3rd choice.

ianpadron

WKR
I have NOT read all 382 pages of this, so asking ... Is there a FAQ or similar on 223 projectiles that are in the same "class" (e.g., all have "similar" incapacitation results). For example the 77 TMK is touted as a top performer. Is there an equivalent ELDM, ELDX, DRT, etc. and weight that would compare? @Formidilosus if 77 TMK did not exist, what is your 2nd or even 3rd choice.
Eagerly waiting on the Southern boys to get some more data on the 75 grain sabre blade from AAC...looks promising and the price is unbeatable for loaded ammo. Nothing is open for killin' up North or id do the dirty work myself