.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
2.26” coal compatible and generally available:

77gr TMK
69gr TMK (sufficient, but less penetration)
73gr ELD-M (sufficient but TC isn’t as long)
77gr Berger OTM (higher upset velocity required)
85gr Barnes MatchBurner (good wound channels with a longer neck length)
62gr Federal Fusion (lower BC)
62 and 75gr Speer Gold Dot (62gr identical to Fusion, 75gr very good wounding)

Potentially the AAC 75gr Saber.

Not 2.26” compatible:

88gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-M
75gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-X

That’s about it for the major ones, though I’m sure there are one or two I am missing. The 77gr TMK is more like the high water mark for all around performance, though it is not the sole good .224 bullet.
I've never heard of this 85 gr match burner before. It must have a fairly blunt ogive profile to be 2.26" compatible. What kind of velocities would be attainable in a 20" .223? And what would the minimum velocity for upset be?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I've never heard of this 85 gr match burner before. It must have a fairly blunt ogive profile to be 2.26" compatible. What kind of velocities would be attainable in a 20" .223? And what would the minimum velocity for upset be?

From what I’ve seen, you can get 2,700’ish from the 85’s. I haven’t done a lot with the 85gr, what I have seen makes me think it is about like the other MatchBurners- 1,800 to 1,900fps impact is a solid lower limit.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
Hogs aren't near as tough as people make them out to be
I had a "guide" tell me he seen a hog take a 45-70 straight to the head and shake it off and run away. He reccomended large 30 cals minimum. Absolutely no 223 6mm 6.5 etc. I lied and said I had one, shot 2 with my 6.5 prc and absolutely annihilated them. I wish I would have used a smaller gun due to the amount of meat damage. I went in totally confident but it was still wild to see these "tough" animals die in half a second.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I had a "guide" tell me he seen a hog take a 45-70 straight to the head and shake it off and run away. He reccomended large 30 cals minimum. Absolutely no 223 6mm 6.5 etc. I lied and said I had one, shot 2 with my 6.5 prc and absolutely annihilated them. I wish I would have used a smaller gun due to the amount of meat damage. I went in totally confident but it was still wild to see these "tough" animals die in half a second.
lmao that's funny, I've killed hundreds in traps with a 22lr to the head.

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
They do have sloped skulls that are pretty good at deflecting bullets. It's not terribly unusual to find one with a substantial scar on the forehead from a glancing bullet. I skipped a 110gr barnes 300BLK off one years ago, although a shot perpendicular to the forehead will definitely penetrate, as Gstew pointed out.

As usual, shot placement above all.

BLJ

WKR
They do have sloped skulls that are pretty good at deflecting bullets. It's not terribly unusual to find one with a substantial scar on the forehead from a glancing bullet. I skipped a 110gr barnes 300BLK off one years ago, although a shot perpendicular to the forehead will definitely penetrate, as Gstew pointed out.

As usual, shot placement above all.
Any idea on how far away it was? Thanks.

ekupp

FNG
2.26” coal compatible and generally available:

77gr TMK
69gr TMK (sufficient, but less penetration)
73gr ELD-M (sufficient but TC isn’t as long)
77gr Berger OTM (higher upset velocity required)
85gr Barnes MatchBurner (good wound channels with a longer neck length)
62gr Federal Fusion (lower BC)
62 and 75gr Speer Gold Dot (62gr identical to Fusion, 75gr very good wounding)

Potentially the AAC 75gr Saber.

Not 2.26” compatible:

88gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-M
75gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-X

That’s about it for the major ones, though I’m sure there are one or two I am missing. The 77gr TMK is more like the high water mark for all around performance, though it is not the sole good .224 bullet.
Any experience with the Hornady 75gr BTHP?