.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Boltgun

FNG
I had a "guide" tell me he seen a hog take a 45-70 straight to the head and shake it off and run away. He reccomended large 30 cals minimum. Absolutely no 223 6mm 6.5 etc. I lied and said I had one, shot 2 with my 6.5 prc and absolutely annihilated them. I wish I would have used a smaller gun due to the amount of meat damage. I went in totally confident but it was still wild to see these "tough" animals die in half a second.
They do have sloped skulls that are pretty good at deflecting bullets. It's not terribly unusual to find one with a substantial scar on the forehead from a glancing bullet. I skipped a 110gr barnes 300BLK off one years ago, although a shot perpendicular to the forehead will definitely penetrate, as Gstew pointed out.

As usual, shot placement above all.

BLJ

WKR
They do have sloped skulls that are pretty good at deflecting bullets. It's not terribly unusual to find one with a substantial scar on the forehead from a glancing bullet. I skipped a 110gr barnes 300BLK off one years ago, although a shot perpendicular to the forehead will definitely penetrate, as Gstew pointed out.

As usual, shot placement above all.
Any idea on how far away it was? Thanks.

ekupp

FNG
2.26” coal compatible and generally available:

77gr TMK
69gr TMK (sufficient, but less penetration)
73gr ELD-M (sufficient but TC isn’t as long)
77gr Berger OTM (higher upset velocity required)
85gr Barnes MatchBurner (good wound channels with a longer neck length)
62gr Federal Fusion (lower BC)
62 and 75gr Speer Gold Dot (62gr identical to Fusion, 75gr very good wounding)

Potentially the AAC 75gr Saber.

Not 2.26” compatible:

88gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-M
75gr ELD-M
80gr ELD-X

That’s about it for the major ones, though I’m sure there are one or two I am missing. The 77gr TMK is more like the high water mark for all around performance, though it is not the sole good .224 bullet.
Any experience with the Hornady 75gr BTHP?

z987k

WKR
Most people claiming hogs are “super tough” shoot them in the wrong place.
It's the case for everything that is "tough" or needs some massive magnum to kill it from all the lore.
Their shot placement is shit and it can't be them, it's the animals wearing armor and toughness.

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Eagerly waiting on the Southern boys to get some more data on the 75 grain sabre blade from AAC...looks promising and the price is unbeatable for loaded ammo. Nothing is open for killin' up North or id do the dirty work myself
Ordered 300 rounds of it last night. Not sure how soon I’ll have a chance to use em, but will post results when I do 🤞 My brother in law has been using 62 gr AAC sabers out of a slower twist mini 14, they seem to work fine. Pretty violent and not as much penetration as I’d like, but they kill.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
It's the case for everything that is "tough" or needs some massive magnum to kill it from all the lore.
Their shot placement is shit and it can't be them, it's the animals wearing armor and toughness.

Form talked about toughness as a sometimes individual characteristic and I rather agree. Some beings just die hard.

z987k

WKR
Form talked about toughness as a sometimes individual characteristic and I rather agree. Some beings just die hard.
Nothing lives more than a handful of seconds with 0 blood pressure. The brain needs oxygen and if it's not getting it, it's light out.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
0 error shooting, sure. that’s nobody I’ve met.
I feel like a natural will to live and toughness get kinda mixed up, interchanged, whatever People think something ran away with a bullet straight through the heart and will call it tough "cause it should have died" when actually it wasn't a lethal shot. The animal just ran away and will live. It wasn't tough, it just has a will to live. Kinda like mentioned above, all animals die the same. Can't tough it through zero blood pressure.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I went shooting today. 300 win mag, 308 semi, and 6.5 CM. The 308 is no problem, the 6.5 is borderline enjoyable to shoot, but the 8lb 300 win mag isn't much fun after 1 or 2 mags. I catch myself not getting behind the scope consistently. I am anticipating recoil and changing my grip from shot to shot.

What's my point? I did miss shooting 223. I am way more confident in my shooting of a 223. I feel like I'm personally just fine to shoot 6.5 cm hunting without flinch/anticipation, but 223 is so much more fun to put a bunch of rounds down range, not to mention that my rifle in 223 is so much more enjoyable to carry around. End of story time.