.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

This has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. Are you guys finding the 77TMK in a factory load or handloading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read back through the thread a bit (it's worth it) and you'll find a few different makers that are loading the TMK, but finding it in stock is probably quite difficult.

I handload it. Form posted awhile back with something about pole vaulting over mouse turds and not getting worked up about trying all sorts of new things. Pretty much a healthy charge of 8208 seated at mag length and it'll shoot. So that's what I did and, well, it shoots. I settled at;
CCI450
23.3gr 8208
Seated to 2.255"

It shoots very well from my rifle.

To no one in particular-

You’re pole vaulting over mouse turds. Take a 77gr TMK, put 23.7gr (or 23.5or 23.3gr) of 8208 in a case (any case), with any standard SR primer, seat it to 2.26” COAL, shoot. That’s it. That combo has shot well in every single 223/5.56 we’ve tried it in.

This has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. Are you guys finding the 77TMK in a factory load or handloading?

Deywalker

FNG
Has anyone used Stand One new manufactured ammo before? I see TMKs in stock, but have never heard of them prior to today.

Juan_ID

WKR
Has anyone used Stand One new manufactured ammo before? I see TMKs in stock, but have never heard of them prior to today.
I reached out to them a while back before I started loading my own. They said they were loaded pretty warm, asked for velocities but never heard back. They seem to have a pretty good following, I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them if I was in the market for loaded tmk ammo.

fwafwow

WKR
I did check out the Kali Key. It seemed interesting (although not likely a good fit for me). Then having to remove the gas key makes it a non-starter.

Acknowledged on the hassle. I don’t mind the wait - and the engraving is minimal. I’m just not sure of the possible benefits apart from a bit more maneuverability.

In all likelihood I will stick with the Tikka at 16+”. This is just one (of many) examples of idle hands…
Not exactly on topic - apart from helping me decide barrel length - but I hunted this weekend for the first time with my 24" Cooper and 9" TBAC. It was fine except for one stand that made it obvious that it would be pretty hard to maneuver the rifle and can combo within the confines of that space.

16" is a done deal. Now I need to think about a possible shorter can.... Clearly I have too much time on my hands.

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
I have used their ammo in my tikka t3. It shoots well(10 rnds jut over 1 moa). I do have some flattening of the primers possibly indicating some higher pressures.

drra

FNG
I go in the opposite direction with my 223, long distance varmit with 45 grain. Perfect shot it doesn't matter if it's a 223 or larger calibers and that is always the goal.

cod0396

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with the Hornady 75gr TAP T2 bullet? Apparently it fragments more consistently than typical 77gr SMK/OTM, but not as much as the TMK. I'm asking because it is much easier to find than the TMK.

FLS

WKR
TAC has been available lately. I get just as good accuracy and velocity with TAC as 8208. 24.5 grains shoots well out of most rifles I’ve tried it in. H4895 also works really well as does Shooter World Match Rifle. 8208 is a great powder, but certainly not the only one that works.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Does anyone have any experience with the Hornady 75gr TAP T2 bullet? Apparently it fragments more consistently than typical 77gr SMK/OTM, but not as much as the TMK. I'm asking because it is much easier to find than the TMK.

It is very impact velocity dependent. It is not a bullet I would choose over others.

cod0396

FNG
It is very impact velocity dependent. It is not a bullet I would choose over others.
Noted. If I couldn't find any loaded 77TMK, what would you recommend instead? Everything is stupid expensive these days, but I think I could get my hands on some 62gr fusion MSR.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
TAC has been available lately. I get just as good accuracy and velocity with TAC as 8208. 24.5 grains shoots well out of most rifles I’ve tried it in. H4895 also works really well as does Shooter World Match Rifle. 8208 is a great powder, but certainly not the only one that works.

TAC has been the only powder I’ve tried and it’s been great for me. I’m getting 2850 fps with my 20” AR 223 Wylde and 77 tmk. I’m getting 2830 fps with eldm and my 22” ruger predator 223. Ready to put them both to work this year on Oklahoma deer. I’ve got both guns shooting 0.75 MOA and am happy.

Choupique

WKR
As a disciple of Elmer who shoots everything from coyotes to elk with a .338 or .45, I've really enjoyed reading this.

I'm so glad to read there's an ultra reliable deer round for the .223 out there. It's going to save me from needing to buy my wife a rifle. She's just going to start shooting stuff with the AR!

FLS

WKR
If both are available is there much difference between 73 or 75 eld-m?
I shoot the 75 ELDM out of my CTR. You have to use AI pattern mags, and I had load them long to get them to shoot. Once I found the secret sauce, they very accurate and very lethal. It’s actually not a secret, 25 grains of Varget in Lapua brass ten tho off the lands is a known accurate load. Ive hunted with it and used it in mid range F Class and tactical matches. The service rifle guys single load it In their ARs. It a great bullet and kills as well as any other 223 bullet I’ve used.