.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

TxxAgg

WKR
In stock:

fwafwow

WKR
In stock:

Thanks for the tip. I’m debating that model vs stainless.

Ryan2.0

FNG
Is grabagun about the best price around? Whittakers use to be but they don’t have the deals like they use to.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your setup and length? I found a 223 Lite the other day but hesitated and haven’t pulled the trigger. I also want to cut “mine” down (current plan is to use a TBAC Ultra 9, but maybe I need to start the process of another can…) - what length do you wish it was?

For those with the 223 77TMK PNWGATOR/Form special who “run” it suppressed, what’s your can?

I recently assembled my own Rokslide special following the examples here. My barrel is cut down to 20” and sporting a SilencerCo Harvester Evo, which is a shorter, lighter version of the original harvester. This is my first experience with Tikka/SWFA and my first suppressor but so far I couldn’t be happier with the combination and wouldn't change a thing.

Edit - Wanted to add this is a T3x Lite since you are considering the Lite model yourself

Attachments

• D7A9A95E-7DB5-4DF0-B774-7DCD13B91C6C.jpeg
    D7A9A95E-7DB5-4DF0-B774-7DCD13B91C6C.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 165

Deywalker

FNG
Missed the factory 2nds 77gr TMKs the other day, but stumbled upon some 73gr ELD-Ms at my LGS. I've been waiting to find good bullets to try reloading out, now I've got to decide if I should try and get all the equipment/components and develop a load before the season starts, or just stick with the 62gr fusions I've already got a lot of.

Thanks. I’m wading through the “show me your semi custom Tikka” thread and I’ve been thinking through 16” vs 18”, especially since I’m using a TBAC Ultra 9 and not likely to get a shorter can.

Perhaps a stupid question - has anyone done an SBR for a bolt action that will run suppressed? I imagine the loss of velocity (and ATF paperwork and delay) may not make the maneuverability worth it.
You want to go shorter the 16.5"

Sorry to be dense, but I'm not sure I understand the post. Do you mean that I DO NOT want to go shorter than 16.5"?
You do not need an SBR unless you go shorter then 16.5" barrel.
The question you posted before about sbr indicated you may want shorter then a 16.5" barrel.
So that's what I'm asking?
Are you considering and sbr because you want to go shorter then 16.5"?

If so what length are you thinking?

fwafwow

WKR
You do not need an SBR unless you go shorter then 16.5" barrel.
The question you posted before about sbr indicated you may want shorter then a 16.5" barrel.
So that's what I'm asking?
Are you considering and sbr because you want to go shorter then 16.5"?

If so what length are you thinking?
Ah - yes, I could have worded it better. Let me try another way.

For those who are going with shorter barrels, how short would you go if there was no need to get an SBR stamp (as if the law didn’t exist)? Would you do 14”? Never less than 16” irrespective of the SBR law? At what velocity loss due to a shorter barrel does the shorter length and better maneuverability lose out?

It’s a bit of a hypothetical question because I don’t *need* to go below 16”, but I’m curious. I’ve gone thru the SBR process before with an AR lower (and at one point I looked into finding a short barrel bolt action upper - as I don’t think that requires a separate stamp), and it’s not the end of the world. And with a TBAC Ultra 9, losing a few more inches.

But as mentioned before, perhaps a stupid and/or uninformed question.

Ah - yes, I could have worded it better. Let me try another way.

For those who are going with shorter barrels, how short would you go if there was no need to get an SBR stamp (as if the law didn’t exist)? Would you do 14”? Never less than 16” irrespective of the SBR law? At what velocity loss due to a shorter barrel does the shorter length and better maneuverability lose out?

It’s a bit of a hypothetical question because I don’t *need* to go below 16”, but I’m curious. I’ve gone thru the SBR process before with an AR lower (and at one point I looked into finding a short barrel bolt action upper - as I don’t think that requires a separate stamp), and it’s not the end of the world. And with a TBAC Ultra 9, losing a few more inches.

But as mentioned before, perhaps a stupid and/or uninformed question.
If you are planning to hunt with a 223 and have an AR SBR lower already why not just build another hunting upper?

fwafwow

WKR
If you are planning to hunt with a 223 and have an AR SBR lower already why not just build another hunting upper?
I have a 556 upper that I plan to try, at least for some short range pigs, but there are some cons to going that route. First, it’s 10.3” (part of the reason for my question), and an AR upper, so I don’t know how much accuracy and velocity I give up with that length and being semi-auto (although both can be determined). Second, that upper is configured for SD, and I’m thinking a hunting upper (even an AR) would be configured differently (at least for me). I could get a completely different upper (say with a scope), but that upper could run more than a RS Special Tikka chopped. And again, I don’t think there is a bolt action option for the lower, or there weren’t good choices when I looked.

Not sure what the current SD setup weighs, but will check.

I have a 556 upper that I plan to try, at least for some short range pigs, but there are some cons to going that route. First, it’s 10.3” (part of the reason for my question), and an AR upper, so I don’t know how much accuracy and velocity I give up with that length and being semi-auto (although both can be determined). Second, that upper is configured for SD, and I’m thinking a hunting upper (even an AR) would be configured differently (at least for me). I could get a completely different upper (say with a scope), but that upper could run more than a RS Special Tikka chopped. And again, I don’t think there is a bolt action option for the lower, or there weren’t good choices when I looked.

Not sure what the current SD setup weighs, but will check.

The Kali Key will make you AR bolt action basically, check it out.

For me it would NOT be worth the hassle to register a bolt action. You will have to give it up to be serialized then submit your paperwork.

Be without your bolt action for year, not sure what getting it engraved cost, plus shipping, plus the stamp. Put that money towards another AR 15 upper and be done with it.