.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

TMKSHOOTER

Lil-Rokslider
Copper creek ammo has loaded 73 gr eld in case anyones looking. Shot fine in both my rifles before I got set up to reload. Kinda pricey but what isn’t now a days.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Anybody used the 62 grain Federal Fusion on whitetail deer? How did it perform? I’m hoping to try it out this year. 🤞

Huntsalot

FNG
Anyone have a barrel recommendation for an AR in 5.56/Wylde that would meet my needs? My current Armalite in 5.56 does okay with 55gr hand loads, but is 1:9 twist and shoots 70+ grain bullets horribly (like 8-9 MOA), and I'd like to upgrade to a 1:7 to shoot 55-77gr bullets accurately. I'm also trying to decide between 16" and 18"; shorter is nice, especially since I have a suppressor on order, but is the lengthened recoil impulse available in an 18" barrel with rifle-length gas tube noticeable? Two extra inches isn't going to make or break this, so if there is a noticeable recoil (read: accuracy) benefit or that much more comfort to a rifle-length gas tube, I would go 18", but if not, I see no reason not to go 16". I'd like it to be a capable brush gun for deer (including snap shots at 50 feet to "long shots" out to 200 yards), but mostly would be used for having fun practicing and positional shooting at the range. I'm wanting 10-round 1.2 MOA accuracy or better. Thanks for any feedback.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a barrel recommendation for an AR in 5.56/Wylde that would meet my needs? My current Armalite in 5.56 does okay with 55gr hand loads, but is 1:9 twist and shoots 70+ grain bullets horribly (like 8-9 MOA), and I'd like to upgrade to a 1:7 to shoot 55-77gr bullets accurately. I'm also trying to decide between 16" and 18"; shorter is nice, especially since I have a suppressor on order, but is the lengthened recoil impulse available in an 18" barrel with rifle-length gas tube noticeable? Two extra inches isn't going to make or break this, so if there is a noticeable recoil (read: accuracy) benefit or that much more comfort to a rifle-length gas tube, I would go 18", but if not, I see no reason not to go 16". I'd like it to be a capable brush gun for deer (including snap shots at 50 feet to "long shots" out to 200 yards), but mostly would be used for having fun practicing and positional shooting at the range. I'm wanting 10-round 1.2 MOA accuracy or better. Thanks for any feedback.
Ballistic advantage premium series can't be beat for the price.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Well, a properly gassed rifle length 18” is going to have a smoother/softer recoil impulse. However, a 16” mid gas is good as well. For your stated use, I would personally choose a 14.5” or 16” mid gas barrel. Larue Stealth barrels have done well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You're being a bit dramatic. Use the search function. Search just "this thread" for the word "fusion". It'll provide a list of every time it was mentioned. It'll greatly narrow it down for you.

Not dramatic at all. Thanks for checking in, though. 👍

Anybody used the 62 grain Federal Fusion on whitetail deer? How did it perform? I’m hoping to try it out this year. 🤞

Shot a bunch of damage tag deer with them and they work well as do 70gr Barnes and Speer gold dot 62gr and 64gr. All work best inside 200 yards and don’t shoot through the shoulder with either except the Barnes.

You're being a bit dramatic. Use the search function. Search just "this thread" for the word "fusion". It'll provide a list of every time it was mentioned. It'll greatly narrow it down for you.
He asked a legitimate question in a thread about hunting big game with 223…

White oak armament

Best barrel per dollar out their IME. Shoots up there with my compass lake cut rifled barrels

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Shot a bunch of damage tag deer with them and they work well as do 70gr Barnes and Speer gold dot 62gr and 64gr. All work best inside 200 yards and don’t shoot through the shoulder with either except the Barnes.

Why not through the shoulder with Fusions or Gold Dots (same bullet)?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Thank you very much. I’ve seen some vids of the Speer gold dots shot into gel. They look impressive to me.