.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

fwafwow

WKR
Sorry for the slight tangent. I'm thinking of building a Tikka 223 and am considering a post about it (like "show me your 223 Tikka builds") but have two questions. First, is anyone aware of a similar thread? Second, if no similar thread exists, what's the proper way to refer to that build? The RS Special 223/77 TMK? The Form 223 Special? The PNWGATOR 223/77? Or something else?

Last edited:
Wow. About the same length of this thread! I was thinking something more focused, but I expect that unless I open it to include slight modifications (like options for Tikka) that there’s not much in the way to think thru!
It's so long I thought you were joking or trying to make something deliberately different. It gets action multiple times a week.

Juan_ID

WKR
Been shooting my 223 a fair amount, I have shot about 200 rounds of factory 55gr pmc, 500ish 75gr hornady bthp reloads, 5-600 73gr eldm reloads, and now up to about 500 77gr tmk reloads since purchasing the rifle last May. Most of those shots have been off a bipod with a rear rest prone.
As I prepare for deer season I went out today to shoot for a more realistic hunting practice without the bipod. The low shot was user error don’t judge me 😂. 3 shots dialing the scope and 2 using holdover (used wrong hash on the low shot) at 450 yards off my pack and very squishy rear rest. My only ragrets with this rifle is not buying it sooner and not chopping the barrel down 2 more inches! Hoping to have some pics of some dead deer in the coming weeks. Good luck to all!
12F6EC43-518C-4112-BCD9-FCC33A4F7EC0.jpeg
258C8CE2-D2B6-44DC-A2D4-0497B87A3E96.jpeg

Last edited:

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting my 223 a fair amount, I have shot about 200 rounds of factory 55gr pmc, 500ish 75gr hornady bthp reloads, 5-600 73gr eldm reloads, and now up to about 500 77gr tmk reloads since purchasing the rifle last May. Most of those shots have been off a bipod with a rear rest prone.
As I prepare for deer season I went out today to shoot for a more realistic hunting practice without the bipod. The low shot was user error don’t judge me 😂. 3 shots dialing the scope and 2 using holdover (used wrong hash on the low shot) at 450 yards off my pack and very squishy rear rest. My only ragrets with this rifle is not buying it sooner and not chopping the barrel down 2 more inches! Hoping to have some pics and video of some dead deer in the coming weeks. Good luck to all!
View attachment 461036
View attachment 461037
If Form doesn’t have stock in SWFA, Sierra, and Tikka, he’s missing out. I wish the tikka 223s weren’t so hard to find.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
As I prepare for deer season I went out today to shoot for a more realistic hunting practice without the bipod. The low shot was user error don’t judge me 😂. 3 shots dialing the scope and 2 using holdover (used wrong hash on the low shot) at 450 yards off my pack and very squishy rear rest. My only ragrets with this rifle is not buying it sooner and not chopping the barrel down 2 more inches! Hoping to have some pics and video of some dead deer in the coming weeks. Good luck to all!
View attachment 461036
View attachment 461037
Give em hell Juan. Hope to see them photos.

Randy

fwafwow

WKR
View attachment 461036
View attachment 461037
What’s your setup and length? I found a 223 Lite the other day but hesitated and haven’t pulled the trigger. I also want to cut “mine” down (current plan is to use a TBAC Ultra 9, but maybe I need to start the process of another can…) - what length do you wish it was?

For those with the 223 77TMK PNWGATOR/Form special who “run” it suppressed, what’s your can?

amassi

WKR
What’s your setup and length? I found a 223 Lite the other day but hesitated and haven’t pulled the trigger. I also want to cut “mine” down (current plan is to use a TBAC Ultra 9, but maybe I need to start the process of another can…) - what length do you wish it was?

For those with the 223 77TMK PNWGATOR/Form special who “run” it suppressed, what’s your can?
I have a t3 lite cit to 18" 77tmk and varget at 2600 fps.
No muffler

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Juan_ID

WKR

It’s a factory t3x lite barrel cut to 20”, wish I’d have gone 18” The load is cci 450 23.3gr of xbr and the 77tmk seated to factory mag length. Current velocity is 2813fps with the omega 30. The little devil kicks too much to shoot it without the can…

TxxAgg

WKR
I have a t3 lite cit to 18" 77tmk and varget at 2600 fps.
No muffler

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Another data point. I don't have a can yet. T3x 16.5" barrel is shooting the 77 tmk from Unknown Munitions at 2610 fps.

fwafwow

WKR
Another data point. I don't have a can yet. T3x 16.5" barrel is shooting the 77 tmk from Unknown Munitions at 2610 fps.
Thanks. I’m wading through the “show me your semi custom Tikka” thread and I’ve been thinking through 16” vs 18”, especially since I’m using a TBAC Ultra 9 and not likely to get a shorter can.

Perhaps a stupid question - has anyone done an SBR for a bolt action that will run suppressed? I imagine the loss of velocity (and ATF paperwork and delay) may not make the maneuverability worth it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks. I’m wading through the “show me your semi custom Tikka” thread and I’ve been thinking through 16” vs 18”, especially since I’m using a TBAC Ultra 9 and not likely to get a shorter can.

Perhaps a stupid question - has anyone done an SBR for a bolt action that will run suppressed? I imagine the loss of velocity (and ATF paperwork and delay) may not make the maneuverability worth it.
I cut mine to 20”, and use an ultra 7. If I could do it over I’d do 18. I wouldn’t go shorter.

SouthPaw

WKR
20" CTR on a diet, ~1k down the barrel since February.

77tmk 2820fps over XBR
73eldm 2900 over XBR
XX lead-free I'm testing in Cali, 2830fps, Varget

At 8.8 pounds it's a freaking joy to shoot and no issue to pack. Spotting impacts over a backpack to 600yds is cake.
8080f5ac2c9e52a7228cc071bf133217.jpg

And yes, the bolt is on the correct side.