.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Lawnboi

WKR
60s or 77s? I have a little over a thousand 77s but have yet to really do anything with them. Do those ammo boxes have carry handles?
Those are 60s I loaded for an upcoming prairie dog/coyote trip. Been using 60s all winter for a practice/varmint bullet. At the time I got them they were 18 cents a piece and much easier on the wallet when 100-400 yard drills and prairie dogs are what’s happening. Wish they would become available again. Iv got a lot of 77s as well but have a hard time shooting them all the time at 40 cents a bullet. Most the reason my 223 gets shot so much is I can load it so cheap. 75 bthp and eldm are a runner up for me and 75eldm are my summer bullet, havnt wanted to chance sub zero temps with them in an 8 twist with a supressor.

The boxes don’t have handles and are the basic mtm brand 100 rounders. They work well and I prefer them to the fancy boxes with handles. Mtm also makes a pretty handy 20 round mag box for 223 and what I normally use, I’ll see if I can dig up a picture. Boxes fit long loaded ammo no problem as well.

BLJ

WKR
@Lawnboi. Are the 75 BTHP you’re referring to Hornady? If so, have you used them on game (deer and coyotes, specifically) and how have they performed? I’m looking for a cheaper alternative to the TMK myself.

Juan_ID

WKR
Those are 60s I loaded for an upcoming prairie dog/coyote trip. Been using 60s all winter for a practice/varmint bullet. At the time I got them they were 18 cents a piece and much easier on the wallet when 100-400 yard drills and prairie dogs are what’s happening. Wish they would become available again. Iv got a lot of 77s as well but have a hard time shooting them all the time at 40 cents a bullet. Most the reason my 223 gets shot so much is I can load it so cheap. 75 bthp and eldm are a runner up for me and 75eldm are my summer bullet, havnt wanted to chance sub zero temps with them in an 8 twist with a supressor.

The boxes don’t have handles and are the basic mtm brand 100 rounders. They work well and I prefer them to the fancy boxes with handles. Mtm also makes a pretty handy 20 round mag box for 223 and what I normally use, I’ll see if I can dig up a picture. Boxes fit long loaded ammo no problem as well.
Just out of curiosity what is the concern with 75 eldm’s and cold weather? I’ve been shooting 73 eldm since I can fit them in the stock tikka magazine, tossing around the idea of a krg bravo which would allow for longer coal but I’d likely try the 73 eldm and or 75bthp seated longer if not then ar mag length still shoots plenty good enough

Lawnboi

WKR
Just out of curiosity what is the concern with 75 eldm’s and cold weather? I’ve been shooting 73 eldm since I can fit them in the stock tikka magazine, tossing around the idea of a krg bravo which would allow for longer coal but I’d likely try the 73 eldm and or 75bthp seated longer if not then ar mag length still shoots plenty good enough
75 eldm specifically are a really long bullet and marginally stable at my elevation in normal temps. Not uncommon for it to be -20 around here so I don’t use them in the winter. If you go to a longer mag you should be able to go to the 75 eldm which is a hell of an efficient 22 cal bullet.

73 eldm and 75bthp are much shorter bullets along the lines of the 77tmk and 77smk.

@BLJ no I have not. I wouldn’t bother either based on what Iv seen from the tmk. I’ll spend the extra when big game is on the menu. For non big game the eldms work awesome and are cheaper.

Juan_ID

WKR
75 eldm specifically are a really long bullet and marginally stable at my elevation in normal temps. Not uncommon for it to be -20 around here so I don’t use them in the winter. If you go to a longer mag you should be able to go to the 75 eldm which is a hell of an efficient 22 cal bullet.

73 eldm and 75bthp are much shorter bullets along the lines of the 77tmk and 77smk.

@BLJ no I have not. I wouldn’t bother either based on what Iv seen from the tmk. I’ll spend the extra when big game is on the menu. For non big game the eldms work awesome and are cheaper.
I see, not that cold around here so I don’t think using the eldm would ever be a concern. And not really looking to add another 223 bullet to the bench currently with well over 2k tmk eldm and hpbt. If they didn’t shoot any better at 2.5” instead of 2.25” I’d just keep loading em to ar length and shoot until I need more

Lawnboi

WKR
I see, not that cold around here so I don’t think using the eldm would ever be a concern. And not really looking to add another 223 bullet to the bench currently with well over 2k tmk eldm and hpbt. If they didn’t shoot any better at 2.5” instead of 2.25” I’d just keep loading em to ar length and shoot until I need more
Hard to argue with any of those bullets. Only plus I see to loading long is if you’re using a powder that maxes out the case before you reach your goal with heavy bullets stuffed down.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Has anybody seen 77 tmks in stock anywhere? I’m looking constantly. I bought some loaded from unknown but I’m still looking for loose bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigNate

WKR
Not sure if it was poorly or inconsistent performance, which I suppose is in fact poor but i think the comment was made that the hp would fail to open on occasion.
One solution is to run a drill bit in the tip to open them up.
I have not used them on deer myself so won't say one way or the other. I do have a stash of them though.
I also removed the tips on some 75gr eldm to use in subsonic ammo, and at the low velocity with a flat tip or drilled out, they opened up some and still held together in my unscientific test.

If I run out of 77gr TMK, I'll pick something I can get and test as is, drilled tips of a couple sizes, at whatever velocity seems good. If they don't work the way I want I'll trade them to someone.
Right now I have a rather eclectic mix of .224 because of availability. If nothing else, they can be practice rounds and save the TMKs for game.

I'm curious which states are you allowed to hunt big game with a 223?
Most states allow it, but a handful don’t allow hunting big game with .22 cal bullets (which includes .223 Rem). Colorado (looks like you are there) is one of the ones that doesn’t allow it. As always, check your local regs.

This was mentioned earlier in the thread; it’s a huge thread, but totally worth a full read (and then re-reading some parts again after it’s all sunk in).

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
Anyone have velocity numbers using Varget from a 16” barrel? Loaded to AR mag length?
I’m sure it’s in here, but I’m feeling kinda lazy right now. I’m at about 2475 right now. I’d like to be 2500. Any good recipes? Thanks.

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone have velocity numbers using Varget from a 16” barrel? Loaded to AR mag length?
I’m sure it’s in here, but I’m feeling kinda lazy right now. I’m at about 2475 right now. I’d like to be 2500. Any good recipes? Thanks.
You need Xbr to get them going at mag length without too much compression.

I think you could get there with tac as well but it’s going to a little temp sensitive

BLJ

WKR
Assuming your meaning IMR 8208 XBR?
No issues with it in the -20* you spoke of above?

Lawnboi

WKR
ADI brass with 23.4 of Varget. Gets pretty crunchy.
Yea that’s the problem with mag length and Varget. My Varget loads, loaded long are maxed out to where they give only enough crunch to not mess with seating depth, and that’s at 24.2. I couldn’t physically fit enough Varget in a case to get pressure with my length .010 off the lands.

Xbr or tac will likely allow you to push the pressure envelope a bit.

I havnt had any problems with Xbr in cold temps. It’s been a good powder, as has Varget.

Lawnboi

WKR
What brass are you using? 24.2 is at 2.26 OAL?

Hornady, 24.2 at ~2.4” for both 77tmk and 75 eldm.
20” barrel has the tmk going 2750, eldm a little faster I’d have to look in my book.
23.4 of Xbr has the tmk going 2800.

I have plenty of mag space so havnt messed with going shorter.