.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

BLJ

WKR
I think the ADI brass is pretty thick. But even with some lighter brass, I don’t know if I’ve got enough barrel anyway.
I’ve got some Hornady brass. I may try it and see what happens. I’d like to run these bullets, but I’d also like a little more velocity. A long shot on a deer for me will be 300. And that would be slim. Coyotes anywhere I see them. 2475 would probably be okay for me, but I’d like to have just a little more.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious which states are you allowed to hunt big game with a 223?
Several from what I have seen over the years but that could have changed.
I hunt in other States, but I use bigger rifles for that for several reasons.
I hunt Whitetails in my resident state of Arkansas, here you can hunt Whitetails with a 223 or a 50BMG, no mag restrictions or any of that Yankee stuff that would make us "safe".

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
@Lawnboi. Are the 75 BTHP you’re referring to Hornady? If so, have you used them on game (deer and coyotes, specifically) and how have they performed? I’m looking for a cheaper alternative to the TMK myself.
I've used the Hornady 75BTHPs a bunch out of a Howa Mini and they're my go to due to others like the TMK been harder to find here in New Zealand.

I've mostly shot hogs and deer up to 200lbs and it's proven a stone cold killer for me, of course decent heart/lung and neck shots are my preferred.

A couple years back I was culling pests on a friends farm and took 54 deer, 102 goats and 12 hogs in 12 months, a mixture of stalking and spotlighting.
Less than a handful of those animals needed a follow up shot.
Heck I even put down 3 cattle when needed from 1200-1500lb with point blank shots

I'd only hesitate using the 75 BTHP over 300m or a shot where the chest or neck wasn't a clear target

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
.223 for Deer ? I don't know because I never have one and shoot deer with it. I would not bring a .223 for Bear , Elk and Moose, especially, bear. those bear is mean. .223 probably just scratchs Elk skin.

mt100gr.

WKR
.223 for Deer ? I don't know because I never have one and shoot deer with it. I would not bring a .223 for Bear , Elk and Moose, especially, bear. those bear is mean. .223 probably just scratchs Elk skin.
You never know until you go. But probably not.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone share load data for 77 tmk and tac in a 556chamber? My manual has it but it doesn’t seem right. Johnnys reloading took it up to 24.8 grains. Is that about right for max? Working up a load now. Yes I did a search in this thread

Last edited:
I have avoided this popgun thread but here goes. Very few of my kills let alone opportunities have been perfect. Usually they are somewhat quartering and certainly not a clean broadside shot. The larger caliber rounds with heavier bullets tend to provide the inertia needed to penetrate the mass and provide a kill. I'm speaking on elk primarily. I would be very reluctant to gamble my only opportunity on a .22 caliber round.

Over the years I have had some quartering shots with a 7 RM and 175 gr bullets that required followup to finish the job. Experience taught me what was an option and what wasn't.

In the early 80s a friend shot an old bull while we were hunting. In cutting up the meat he recovered 10 bullets ranging from .243 to .338 that he had survived. Risking game for your druthers is just unacceptable. I remember my father chastizing someone for hunting elk with a 30-30. Get a big enough gun to give you at least a 90% chance of success.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Brownells has XBR. Hurry, it won't last long.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id_jon

WKR
Got my 2 lbs, I figure around 600 rounds and I'm only sitting on 400 tmks, so it should do for a while.

As I remember a couple in the hind quarters and the rest scattered through the front quarters and neck.
As he was a 5x5 on the downhill slide of life, he was likely over 10 years old and the bullets had been with him for a number of years. Nothing was fresh.

BigNate

WKR
Well, the .338 bullets were ineffective too:ROFLMAO:

I wonder what he uses these days? 400NE for coyotes up to whitetail, and a 600NE for mule deer to moose, and an RPG for anything bigger…
Well, said he had trouble with 7 mag and 175s, his buddy found a pound of bullets in every caliber in one of those armored elk..... 50 BMG maybe 🤔

Well, said he had trouble with 7 mag and 175s, his buddy found a pound of bullets in every caliber in one of those armored elk..... 50 BMG maybe 🤔
The BMG is not a bad deer cartridge, as long as you keep your shots close and only take broadside shots… same shots you would take with a bow… better than the pea shooters like a 338 lapua

Expect to do some tracking though 😉

Both are great for sage rats