.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Anybody been successful with the 77s in a 9 twist? My ARs are 8s and 7s but my bolt guns are 9s. I need to remedy that situation.

There have been a couple in this thread that have gotten them o work in a 9”. You’re beyond the edge of stability, and if it is stable enough to group you are definitely losing some BC. Having said that, I would still choose it if it’ll stabilize.

260madman

WKR
There have been a couple in this thread that have gotten them o work in a 9”. You’re beyond the edge of stability, and if it is stable enough to group you are definitely losing some BC. Having said that, I would still choose it if it’ll stabilize.
I have a Varmint Salvage that actually measures at 8 5/8“ when using the cleaning rod method to measure but I don’t want to carry that pig. It stacks 75 Amax. I’d rather use my stainless Ruger Hawkeye though. Guess I can measure it also just for grins and then load some up. My problem is I have too many options when it comes to guns.

Off to the toy room I go.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
You all talked me into the 223 Tikka. Typical additions. MT trigger spring, vertical grip, sportsmatch rings, and a Zeiss conquest scope. Just need the 77gr tmk ammo now. Wish me luck with that!
PXL_20210909_161706831~2.jpg

Last edited:

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Sportsman's warehouse. Ordered online to ship to store. I found it in stock a couple of different times in like a week. I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not, but I'd check that site regularly.

Lawnboi

WKR
Finally shot an xbr ladder. 23.6 got me to 2800fps in my 20”. Now time to see if accuracy is there. 24.2 of varget is about as compressed as I’d like to go and got me 2750.

mt100gr.

WKR
Finally shot an xbr ladder. 23.6 got me to 2800fps in my 20”. Now time to see if accuracy is there. 24.2 of varget is about as compressed as I’d like to go and got me 2750.
Tikka?

I haven't started loading for my 20" Tikka yet, as I have a solid stash of 77TMK ammo from Unknown. But I have a few pounds of XBR and some TMKs when the time comes. Just taking notes at this point.

robtattoo

WKR

Heads up, if anyone's looking for a deal on a quality .223 bolt.
I'm happy to play middle man, if needed.

Lawnboi

WKR
Tikka?

I haven't started loading for my 20" Tikka yet, as I have a solid stash of 77TMK ammo from Unknown. But I have a few pounds of XBR and some TMKs when the time comes. Just taking notes at this point.
Yes. I plan to load a hand full at 23.6 and see how they group. The 5 shot ladder I did went in a 1.5 minute group.

Laramie

WKR
I have honestly ignored this thread as I assumed it was a lot of people arguing. Decided to read it today since I had little to do watching the clock.

Some pretty compelling evidence in the thread. Honestly a bit surprising but I have seen a few deer taken with a .223. The results were just ok but they were shot with standard factory soft points.

I do really hope that this thread doesn't lead to inexperienced hunters choosing the .223 and 77TMK without intimate knowledge of their guns, their intended game, state regulations, and a ton of practice. This combination would be illegal for use for larger species in many states for a reason. The average joe doesn't shoot that well and isn't very disciplined.

That said, I have a more open mind now than I did in the past due to this thread. I won't be taking a .223 deer hunting anytime soon but I think I'll try the 77s on some predators this winter.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have honestly ignored this thread as I assumed it was a lot of people arguing. Decided to read it today since I had little to do watching the clock.

Some pretty compelling evidence in the thread. Honestly a bit surprising but I have seen a few deer taken with a .223. The results were just ok but they were shot with standard factory soft points.

I do really hope that this thread doesn't lead to inexperienced hunters choosing the .223 and 77TMK without intimate knowledge of their guns, their intended game, state regulations, and a ton of practice. This combination would be illegal for use for larger species in many states for a reason. The average joe doesn't shoot that well and isn't very disciplined.

That said, I have a more open mind now than I did in the past due to this thread. I won't be taking a .223 deer hunting anytime soon but I think I'll try the 77s on some predators this winter.
While I would have totally agreed with this prior to trying them, I can honestly say that there is not a shot under 400 yards I’d take on a deer with my old 300, that I wouldn’t take with my 223 and 77tmk combo. Atleast from what I have personally seen so far

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
While I would have totally agreed with this prior to trying them, I can honestly say that there is not a shot under 400 yards I’d take on a deer with my old 300, that I wouldn’t take with my 223 and 77tmk combo. Atleast from what I have personally seen so far
That's a big statement!
I have learned some things from this thread.
The only negative I have is this may contribute to the near impossibility to find this particular bullet, but oh well!

tracker12

WKR
“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
🙄all I have to say