.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

52 pages and over 1000 posts, spanning over two years.

Lots of good information and dialog here.

I wonder if anyone has read this thread in it's entirety?

(The OP is still participating, on page 52!)

Still has a ways to go to catch up to the one photo a day thread, though.
I’ve read it in it’s entirety once, and gone back to find posts with specific information a few times. Possibly the most valuable thread on the slide.

I'm in a quandry... I want to try the .223 Rem for Mule Deer in CA's D-14, and I know it would work fine for the place I have in mind because timber limits the distances. But... there are also Bears there, and just because I've never taken one, AND never taken a deer with .223 Rem yet... my thought process is:

Well... I supposed I'd better take something with me where I know for sure from lots of historical data that it should work no problem. ... Then... after I've finally taken a Bear, any Bear, and gotten that cherry out of the way... I'd then totally be down to risk walkin' around with the lesser caliber.

I may still end up saying EFF-it and bringing the .223 Rem w Barnes TSX. I also happen to have scored a box of 70gr TTSX a year or so ago. And I see today that I can't find this same projectile listed. So meh... I dunno... might even mess-around and load-up some of those 70gr's to see what kinda havoc they can wreak!
The only problem I potentially see with the Barnes and bears is that I’ve never had a good blood trail with Barnes, they just don’t put a big hole in animals and with bears they don’t bleed as well as most other animals. Their fat tend to clog holes. Not saying it won’t kill a bear it absolutely will but you may be looking at a tough tracking job. That said, of all the stuff I’ve killed with Barnes none of them have gone more than 100 yards.

Sadler

WKR
If you guys need some of these loaded up, unknown munitions has all the components to do so in either norma or lapua brass. You just need to send them a custom custom load request.

ttt for the best thread in this sub. I’m trying to get my hand on the 77 g TMK to shoot out of my 14.5 recce AR. I’m in the southeast and can’t imagine a shot on my property longer than 200 yards for whitetail so I’m going to try them out.

Kenitc energy is not a real physics calculation, yes work energy momentum are. If go back to my school days.

I’m amazed how much information with photography and yet here this is.

So, an arrow with 60 lbs if BS kenetic energy won’t kill then….

I have never ever seen or read a bullet mfg sell speed either, wth…. Rather some real smart engineers who design Bullets Have specified parameters of how they will perform as described by speed.
You don’t kill animals with archery gear based on an arrow’s kinetic energy…. Razor sharp broadheads cut an amazing path through vitals.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
To no one in particular -

It's slightly absurd to assert that energy doesn't matter. The nuance is that not all projectiles wound in the same fashion and not every type of wounding requires or uses energy in the same way.

Some bullet designs and caliber combinations are grossly inefficient with respect to energy use (wounding). It's certainly true that (wasted) energy does not matter when the bullet cannot translate it into effective wounding.

I know it's fun to talk about, but I don't know what we're really adding to the discussion be rehashing this 53 pages in... (to just this thread).

130gr TMK, 123gr or 130gr ELD-M, 129gr Accubond LR. If not long range, the 107gr TMK.

Hey Form, you recommended the ABLR as opposed to the AB without knowing the range. Is that due to the comparatively lower velocities of the Grendel? Having a 6.5 PRC and hunting at shorter ranges, I am loading the AB rather than the ABLR. Would you have any concerns about the ABLR at very close range out of the PRC?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hey Form, you recommended the ABLR as opposed to the AB without knowing the range. Is that due to the comparatively lower velocities of the Grendel? Having a 6.5 PRC and hunting at shorter ranges, I am loading the AB rather than the ABLR. Would you have any concerns about the ABLR at very close range out of the PRC?

Yes sir. The Grendel can not stress the ABLR. With the PRC, it’ll kill emphatically, but penetration will be shallower and meat damage will be severe.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm building a 12" Suppressed 6.5 Grendel for whitetail this fall and I really wish I could get my hands on some Nosler 129 ABLR factory loads for it.