.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
77grn Sierra Tipped. Low shoulder shot at 188 yds. Just took a few steps. Projectile just under skin on off side. This is the first one of many that I have found that was completely intact. No external blood at all - all of the damage was inside.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpeg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7767-1.jpeg
    IMG_7767-1.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Anyone have a 16.5” barrel and wish they went longer?
I have a 18” with can. It feels long but I’m used to SBRs and shorter guns. I don’t have many shots over 200 yards around here. But the added FPS is nice for longer pokes. Look at ballistic charts, figure in your average/max shot ranges and go from there. A few places I hunt would benefit from taking my 12.5” over the 18”. Especially if I’m mobile hunting some of my public lands.

Another gun season down the drain. I really hate how my work peaks from mid November through December. Gun opener fell mid week so it really limited my vacation time. And of course, could never make it out after. Oh well. Hoping for some coyotes this winter. Really wanting to see this TMK first hand.

Another data point. I was butchering the offside front quarter of my Elk a few days back and found what remained of the 77 grain TMK. Lodged in the outside surface of the shoulder meat. Looks like the hide stopped it there. Shoulder meat -> one rib busted -> tumble in organ cavity (blender) -> second rib busted -> shoulder meat.

It weighs in at 34 grains. Bullet would have been near max speed of 2775 considering a 50-60 yard shot.

Attachments

• 77tmk.jpg
    77tmk.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 75

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I gave in and bought a Tikka compact 223, SWFA 10x42 (since there's no sign of the 6x or the 3-9) and 1,000 Black Hills TMKs. Have an ambition to improve my shooting.

Anyone willing to share their actual muzzle velocity and or dope sheet with a 20" Tikka barrel and the Black Hills TMKs? I realize it's probably in here somewhere, but if so I'm not finding it.

A few observations from this years deer season. We, wife and kids and I, killed 13 deer.

1 - with a 50 cal muzzy shooting 250 gr SST bullet. 106 yards.
1 - 6.5 cm shooting 140 Berger. 425 yards.
2- 6.5 cm shooting 130 TMK. 80 yards and 150 yards.
3 - 223 shooting 77 TMK. 75, 50 and 425 yards.
4 - 22 cm shooting 77 TMK. 135, 180, 206 and 625 yards.
2 - 22 cm shooting 80 ELDM. 475 and 525.

Also had 1 hit with the 223 and 77’s that we did not recover. I think hit was back. Were not able to get another shot and the deer crossed onto private property that we couldn’t get permission to follow up.

All deer had similar wound channels with the 6.5 tmk being largest but not that much different from the 77 tmk or 80 eldm. Of those 13 3 of the 22 cm deer got shot more then once and 2 of the 6.5 cm did as well. Follow up shots with 22 cm were immediate and likely not needed but with the lower recoil were available so taken. 6.5 cm were not as easy to get back on so not immediate. This was due to recoil. On another note the deer shot with the 22 calibers seemed to react less when hit. They didn’t take off like being shot out of a cannon like with the larger calibers. The other biggest difference I noticed was with the 6.5 cm and 50 cal we got pass throughs and only did on maybe 2 or 3 of the 22 cal deer.

Total distance traveled after the shot for all 22 cal deer was about 200 yards. Distance was 300 yards for the 6.5 cal deer and 60 yards for the 50 cal muzzy deer.

The deer shot with the 22 cals also did not leave as much blood on the ground to track but also didn’t need as much tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Also had 1 hit with the 223 and 77’s that we did not recover. I think hit was back. Were not able to get another shot and the deer crossed onto private property that we couldn’t get permission to follow up.

Do you recall the range of this deer?
What do you believe was the cause of the shot hitting back?
Based on blood trail, do you think you could have recovered the deer with private permission?

Losing deer sucks, but it happens occasionally if you hunt long enough. Knowing the error in our techniques of shooting and/or tracking makes us better in the end.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Range was about 185-200 yards. Was one of my sons shooting and I think he just pulled the shot or something. Based on the terrain into k we could have found him but not solely on blood trail.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider

Sandstrom

WKR
I gave in and bought a Tikka compact 223, SWFA 10x42 (since there's no sign of the 6x or the 3-9) and 1,000 Black Hills TMKs. Have an ambition to improve my shooting.

Anyone willing to share their actual muzzle velocity and or dope sheet with a 20" Tikka barrel and the Black Hills TMKs? I realize it's probably in here somewhere, but if so I'm not finding it.
I am getting 2730 with my 18 inch tikka and black hills 77TMK. Congrats on the new gun!
Ryan

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider

I have the D18 Tikka 223 with 22.4" barrel and I'm getting 2850 with factory black hills 77tmks and suppressor.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting 2730 with my 18 inch tikka and black hills 77TMK. Congrats on the new gun!
Ryan

I have the D18 Tikka 223 with 22.4" barrel and I'm getting 2850 with factory black hills 77tmks and suppressor.

Thanks for the beta, everyone. My only problem is that 10x - I would really rather have either the 6x or the 3-9.

I thought of a solution, though. I ordered a t1x . 22lr, and when I can get one of the other two the 10x will be perfect for that.

xsn10s

WKR
Thanks for the beta, everyone. My only problem is that 10x - I would really rather have either the 6x or the 3-9.

I thought of a solution, though. I ordered a t1x . 22lr, and when I can get one of the other two the 10x will be perfect for that.
I have the 10X and 6X,.... the 10X isn't bad at all. I'll admit the 6X is easier to use, and I do favor a variable. But I've taken sage rats as close as 10 yards, chucks out as far as 583 yards, and a badger at 659 yards all on the 10X.

This is peak rokslide thinking!

You’ll enjoy the T1X. I’ve had one in a KRG bravo chassis and loved it. I’m actually reverting it back to stock to match my 223 (with the vertical grip installed) just for more consistent practice. It’s a fantastic little rifle.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
This is peak rokslide thinking!

You’ll enjoy the T1X. I’ve had one in a KRG bravo chassis and loved it. I’m actually reverting it back to stock to match my 223 (with the vertical grip installed) just for more consistent practice. It’s a fantastic little rifle.

Should make a neat little blue grouse rifle, too!