.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Big_wals

WKR
Sorry for cluttering up the thread everyone. I'll stop the pointless arguing. If anyone wants to build a fast twist 22 hornet and load 77 tmks into it, please do. Im sure everyone here would love to see the results.

Old Dog

FNG
I didn’t mean to upset you, and didn’t realize the type of cartridge a bullet is fired from was such an emotional issue. I hope you are able to move past the Hornet.

Well, you come off either as trolling or as not knowing anything about the 22 Hornet or the 77 gr TMK.
77_tipped_matchking_comparison_bullets_0-1336379.jpg

So where exactly are you going to put all that bullet?

TaperPin

WKR
Well, you come off either as trolling or as not knowing anything about the 22 Hornet or the 77 gr TMK.
View attachment 600790

So where exactly are you going to put all that bullet?
If it were me I’d have the chamber cut so the bullet sits way out and use it as a single shot. It’s possible to get a pre64 Winchester model 70 in 22 Hornet, or duplicate that kind of feeding setup for a repeater, but that’s a lot of work. Probably easiest route for a repeater with extra long magazine is something else, but I’m no expert on any of it.

A quick google search shows all sorts of full size rifles converted to single shots, at least one bench rest/varmint action from BAT with a hornet bolt face, and at least 6 modern single shots were chambered in the Hornet.

The 22 hornet in a modern action is only 200 yards behind the 223 - maybe 250. I only bring it up to help out the guys that don’t shoot far and want to maybe have a more appropriate rifle built. 😁

It’s retarded but if it makes you happy go for it. Nobody else cares because there’s literally no reason to not just do a 223.

280Ackley

WKR
Any one familiar with the following? You can pick them up for $399 after $100 rebate.

CZ-USA 600 AL1 Alpha 223 Rem 24" 4rd Bolt Rifle w/ Threaded Barrel - Black​

Last edited:

Hagas4all

FNG
Not hydraulic, the temporary stretch cavity. And yes, animals just like humans have varying levels of psychological incapacitation

Nope. Given ideal projectiles for any cartridge within that realm, bigger is “more” but not generally more enough to mean anything*. That is- just because you shoot an animal in the lungs and it runs 50 yards does not mean that if you went bigger that it would have ran 25 yards instead. Barring a CNS hit, they have to run out of oxygen or blood, and given correct bullets and impact speed everything in the 223-308 realm is more alike than different.

*heavy frangible 6.5, 7mm and 308 bullets can cause significantly more tissue damage than say a .224 with like bullet, however those bullets way cross over the line that almost anyone would find acceptable for meat damage. With a 223 and the right bullet it’s already at too much tissue damage levels- why would I go bigger unless I wanted to cause even more meat loss? Because going bigger and then hamstringing the cartridge by putting a bullet in it that causes less damage is akin to buying a V8 and then yanking spark plugs because it’s too fast.

Yes indeed. Glass is horrific on bullets. It’s also what one can expect as a worse case scenario- say extremely large ungulates (moose/bison) shoulder knuckles or shoulder joint. Plywood is similar to elk/big deer shoulders. Heavy denim equates to vary large and fat hide and skin.
Out of a 30-06 with a 180 grain projectile what would be your bullet choice for Bison? We have a special draw this year and I have my fingers crossed… The combo mentioned is the minimum allowed by regulations for Bison.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Any one familiar with the following? You can pick them up for $399 after $100 rebate.

CZ-USA 600 AL1 Alpha 223 Rem 24" 4rd Bolt Rifle w/ Threaded Barrel - Black​

I don’t know much but I guided a couple guys who had alphas but in 6.5 they liked them the only thing bad they had to say was about the recall so you couldn’t change barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Out of a 30-06 with a 180 grain projectile what would be your bullet choice for Bison? We have a special draw this year and I have my fingers crossed… The combo mentioned is the minimum allowed by regulations for Bison.

Bison is one of the cases where less tissue damage can be ok, because they tend not move much when shot.

For a 30/06 it would probably a 180gr Nosler Partition, Federal’s 200gr Terminal Ascent or 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip.

Sandstrom

WKR
Bison is one of the cases where less tissue damage can be ok, because they tend not move much when shot.

For a 30/06 it would probably a 180gr Nosler Partition, Federal’s 200gr Terminal Ascent or 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip.
Serious question, Is there any reason you wouldn’t use a 77 TMK on a bison if allowed? Reason I ask is we saw one while antelope hunting with the TMK.

Also another question, what are your thoughts for the TMK on fall turkey where a rifle is allowed?

Ryan

atmat

WKR

I’ve only been on one bison hunt (not the shooter). But they’ve gotta be the dumbest/laziest animals I’ve ever seen. They’ll watch their buddy get shot, move 20 yards, and go back to grazing.

Sandstrom

WKR
IMG_0210.jpeg
The double lung shot.

This shot resulted in a DRT bang flop. This was my first time seeing the 77 TMK in person, same for the two other people I was hunting with. After seeing three other antelope shot that day that were also all bang flops with other rifles, 2 with 308 and 168 bergers and a 300 win mag with 168 TTSX. The general census was that the 77 TMK is a very efficient and effective killer. All three of us concluded that there is no reason to shoot anything bigger within 450 yards.

My only regret is when I shot my two does with the 308, that I didn’t grab the 223 tikka from my dad instead!!

Thank you to all who have posted information in this thread and have helped me see the way!!!
Ryan

The Guide

WKR
Serious question, Is there any reason you wouldn’t use a 77 TMK on a bison if allowed? Reason I ask is we saw one while antelope hunting with the TMK.

Also another question, what are your thoughts for the TMK on fall turkey where a rifle is allowed?

Ryan
If it is accurate enought for head/neck shots at that distance, go for it. If you are body shooting them, anything other than a solid will make a mess. I did a flock reduction with the state once on a ranch where the turkeys were getting into the feed lot and making a mess. There were over 100 birds in this group. A 17HMR was used and the tipped bullets made a mess, the soft points weren't quite as bad, but the fmj bullets were the best for meat retention. Shot through the upper wing took out the lungs and damaged the spine leaving the breast alone or with a small hole. Birds were donated to the food bank.

Jay

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Nope. I’d use it.

Ryan

They make a mess with body shots. You need to hit them at the top of their back to stay away from the breast and legs, and you still can get meat damage. During the fall I have a mag of 77gr SMK’s in my pocket for turkeys.