.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

atmat

WKR
What bullets have equal terminal performance @1100 yards as a 6.5 PRC and a 156 Berger with the same barrel life, less recoil, and higher hit rates?
Not who you asked, but 1100 yards is the absolute extreme end of the hunting spectrum for 99.99999% of hunters.

The majority of hunters would benefit from a less powerful cartridge than 6.5prc

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
What bullets have equal terminal performance @1100 yards as a 6.5 PRC and a 156 Berger with the same barrel life, less recoil, and higher hit rates?
I think the 6UM would cover the terminal performance, less recoil, higher hit rate but not barrel life.
I don’t own one yet but I probably will at some point.
Me personally, I’m not necessarily an 1100 yard guy but the wind number and margin for error on trajectory with that low of recoil is appealing to me.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Where would I find info on purchasing one of these Rokslide rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you speaking of a rokslide special you have to build it. Nobody makes one out of the box.

Original config was a:
tikka 223, sportsmatch rings, swfa 3-9 scope. Add vertical grip on tikka stock and adjustable cheek piece shooting 77gr sierra tmk. preferably threaded for a can

updated config:
tikka 223, unknown munitions rings, swfa 3-9 scope. stockys vg stock, shooting 77gr sierra tmk. perferable cut to 16" and threaded for a can.

If you speaking of a rokslide special you have to build it. Nobody makes one out of the box.

Original config was a:
tikka 223, sportsmatch rings, swfa 3-9 scope. Add vertical grip on tikka stock and adjustable cheek piece shooting 77gr sierra tmk. preferably threaded for a can

updated config:
tikka 223, unknown munitions rings, swfa 3-9 scope. stockys vg stock, shooting 77gr sierra tmk. perferable cut to 16" and threaded for a can.

Ah gotcha. I thought someone here was building and selling them.

Thanks.

Reactions: NSI

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ah gotcha. I thought someone here was building and selling them.

Thanks.

Not really anything to “build” you just buy the gun and mount the scope. I always thought the “rokslide special” was a tikka 6.5 with an SWFA scope but whatever.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
To help us all make it to rifle season, I have a few animals to share from 2022 season. Firstly is a nice east Texas white tail. Very big bodied for our area, taken by my cousin with 77TMK from a 16” AR at about 150y. Ran about 50 yards and piled up. IMG_0648.jpeg

Secondly, a doe shot at about 50 yards by myself out of a climber stand. 13.9” AR 77TMK- Instant death, front shoulders almost non recoverable. Sorry for no autopsy pics. Next year I’m using an 11.5 to try to slow these bullets down and prevent some meat loss. IMG_9411.jpeg

Thirdly, a nice pig. Initially shot with a 55gr FMJ, also out of 13.9” AR and I followed up with 77TMK and hit it on the run just behind the shoulder. Lucky shot but only went about 15 yards after getting hit. Did not clean this animal but heard a whole lot of slushy liquid when rolling him around. IMG_8972.jpeg

Lastly, couple of yotes I caught out one night. One shot went through guts, second put it down. Second yote caught one to the neck and about blew its head off. All 77 TMK and 13.9” AR
IMG_8738.jpegIMG_8740.jpeg

atmat

WKR
Daughter out shooting tonight with the tikka 223. “Wow dad this thing is so fun to shoot”. No doubt next year she will be shooting her first deer with a 77tmk as she’s so confident with this rifle. Coyotes are in trouble this winter
View attachment 600201
I can’t wait till my daughters are old enough to shoot. But get that girl a shooting mat! She’s almost laying in mud.

Why is there no talk of the 22 hornet? Its velocity is only 200 yards behind the 223.

I mean you could do it, but why? Most of them are 14 twist which aren't going to begin to work with a bullet that will be effective and they feed like shit out of magazines. Might as well just do a 223 and have the extra range and the ammo and brass availability.