.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

The Guide

WKR
You’re quite consistent with the recommendation of the 77 TKM out to 450 at 223 velocities, so that‘s the same as 22 hornet to 250 yards with the same bullet. Right?

edit: Others are killing elk to the equivalent of 600 to 800 yards out of the hornet.
I have a couple of Hornets. How are you stuffing a 77g TMK in Hornet case and still fitting it in the chamber with any room left for powder if you could even spin it with the standard 12 or 14 twist barrels they have? Even with a Hornet K chamber in a custom barrel I doubt the TMK or 73 ELDM would have enough velocity to expand at 100 yards. A 45 grain Hornet round is only 2645 at the muzzle.

Jay

TaperPin

WKR
?

Show me a 22 Hornet that can shoot a 77gr TMK.
There are very few custom 22 hornets with fast enough twist - but they are out there.

I‘m mostly just joshing you guys - the experiences you guys have had with the 223 are impressive. I can imagine a factory load coming out with one of your combinations, largely due to the work you guys have put into it.

Don‘t get me wrong, the grand kids are still getting a 7 mag for Christmas. 🙂

Old Dog

FNG
Is this a joke or no? Lol I’m new here
Putting a 77gr TMK in a 22 Hornet is a joke.

But the 77 TMK in 5.56 or 223 doesn't appear to be a joke at all. Just scroll through the thread and look at some of the photos. Pretty lethal combination.

Big_wals

WKR
The 22 hornet in a modern action is only 200 yards behind the 223 - maybe 250. I only bring it up to help out the guys that don’t shoot far and want to maybe have a more appropriate rifle built. 😁
In order to be only 250 yards behind the performance of black hills 77 tmk load, you're gonna have to push that bullet at around 2450 fps out of your hornet. Got some secret load data to share? Maybe an Ackley improved, +p hornet with a 36 inch barrel?

In order to be only 250 yards behind the performance of black hills 77 tmk load, you're gonna have to push that bullet at around 2450 fps out of your hornet. Got some secret load data to share? Maybe an Ackley improved, +p hornet with a 36 inch barrel?
I think he’s forgetting heavier bullets (in this case nearly double the normal grain weight) move slower.

Big_wals

WKR
I think he’s forgetting heavier bullets (in this case nearly double the normal grain weight) move slower.
Lol. To be fair, I know nothing about the 22 hornet. But I did check Hornadys reloading manual, and the max load with a 55 grainer is only 2400, so there's that. And as you said, heavier bullets tend to go slower...

TaperPin

WKR
Lol. To be fair, I know nothing about the 22 hornet. But I did check Hornadys reloading manual, and the max load with a 55 grainer is only 2400, so there's that. And as you said, heavier bullets tend to go slower...
Since there is no 77 gr published data for the hornet I guess it will take some time to find out.
Apples to apples the 223 and 55gr bullets is roughly 3100 fps at muzzle? At 200 yards that’s roughly 2400 fps?
Bullshit
No one is that dumb
You would not be able to get a 77 TMK into its optimum velocity window with a Hornet no matter what barrel you used
Well, if I’m wrong and the Hornet is 300 yards behind the 223 with 77gr bullets I’ll be the first to admit it. I guess that makes it a 150 yard elk killer. So far I haven’t seen any chronograph numbers for the heavy bullets in a Hornet, but that’s just a matter of time since fast twist barrels are being installed in these little guys.

TaperPin

WKR
LOL. What a troll. Why would you want to go lighter than a 223? Is the 223 somehow too ridiculous to handle?
I didn’t mean to upset you, and didn’t realize the type of cartridge a bullet is fired from was such an emotional issue. I hope you are able to move past the Hornet.

Big_wals

WKR
Since there is no 77 gr published data for the hornet I guess it will take some time to find out.
Apples to apples the 223 and 55gr bullets is roughly 3100 fps at muzzle? At 200 yards that’s roughly 2400 fps?

What? Who cares what a 55gr out of a 223 is doing at 200 yards? That has nothing to do with this.

Hornadys manual show the max load with 35gr at 3100 fps and the 55gr at 2400. Thats a 700 fps loss for 20 grains of added bullet weight. Add another 22 grains to go with the 77, lose another 700 fps...... lets see, thats 1700 fps. Minimum recommended impact velocity is around 1800 I believe..... if my math is correct, should be about a negative 73.5 yard elk killer.

Edited: I know velocity loss isn't linear with added bullet weight. But this is all theoretical anyways.

Last edited: