.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

This thread…… thinking on the way to work like always. Swapping the razor from my unfired 300prc onto my 18” AR for deer season this year. But now what am I going to do with the PRC?😂 I bought it for elk/moose someday and because I didn’t have a nice magnum cartridge yet. Thanks to this thread and the 6.5 one I feel like I don’t even need it. The dark thoughts of selling it along with the ammo/dies/mags are surfacing. But I know I’ll regret it. Maybe I’ll just turn it into a target gun and take it out hunting for fun once in a while.

All because of Sierra and those freaking TMKs.

This thread…… thinking on the way to work like always. Swapping the razor from my unfired 300prc onto my 18” AR for deer season this year. But now what am I going to do with the PRC?😂 I bought it for elk/moose someday and because I didn’t have a nice magnum cartridge yet. Thanks to this thread and the 6.5 one I feel like I don’t even need it. The dark thoughts of selling it along with the ammo/dies/mags are surfacing. But I know I’ll regret it. Maybe I’ll just turn it into a target gun and take it out hunting for fun once in a while.

Unless you’re going to shoot ELR a rifle like a 300PRC that torches barrels, burns way more powder, and beats you up more is a pretty impractical target rifle.

I gave up on magnums for hunting a long time ago. In the early 2000’s when I started big game hunting of course I was using 30 cal magnums because that’s what everybody said you needed to go kill basically anything bigger than an ground squirrel so that’s what I did. The turning point for me was when I started culling deer on bean fields and one day used my R700 LVSF 223 with 45gr Winchester varmint ammo because I had only planned on targeting groundhogs that day and ended up shooting a few deer instead. It dropped them the same way my 300 RUM’s did and ever since I’ve seen no reason to use anything like that for most hunting.

They do have their place in long range hunting though assuming you can shoot it well and want to do that. There’s no denying that something like a 215gr Berger Hybrid traveling at 2900+ has very little wind error and hits like a ******* freight train… but there’s also no denying that with modern bullet technology and some of the smaller caliber laser beam rounds you can put animals on the ground at distance too.

With that said, I would not stick any 22 caliber bullet in any case with any amount of powder behind it to use for long range hunting. A fast 6.5 like PRC or SAUM, absolutely.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

I own a 6.5 PRC and if I sold it, I wouldn’t miss it and if I didn’t already own one, I wouldn’t own another.

There are bullets out there delivered out of lower recoiling cartridges with equal terminal performance and higher hit rates.

woods89

WKR
I own a 6.5 PRC and if I sold it, I wouldn’t miss it and if I didn’t already own one, I wouldn’t own another.

There are bullets out there delivered out of lower recoiling cartridges with equal terminal performance and higher hit rates.

I feel like the one place I can see the 6.5 PRC being really beneficial is if I was forced to shoot monos, just to keep velocities up. Thank goodness I don't have to.

My hunting partner is having a hard time getting his mind around me bringing a 6.5 CM with 130 TMK this year and potentially shooting a big bull with it. He's a good guy and a great shot, but likes his 300 WM. For me at this point, my 6.5 CM is as large as I need to go, and I'll likely do a lot of whitetail hunting with my 223 in the coming years. It's not legal where we elk hunt.

Unless you’re going to shoot ELR a rifle like a 300PRC that torches barrels, burns way more powder, and beats you up more is a pretty impractical target rifle.

I gave up on magnums for hunting a long time ago. In the early 2000’s when I started big game hunting of course I was using 30 cal magnums because that’s what everybody said you needed to go kill basically anything bigger than an ground squirrel so that’s what I did. The turning point for me was when I started culling deer on bean fields and one day used my R700 LVSF 223 with 45gr Winchester varmint ammo because I had only planned on targeting groundhogs that day and ended up shooting a few deer instead. It dropped them the same way my 300 RUM’s did and ever since I’ve seen no reason to use anything like that for most hunting.

They do have their place in long range hunting though assuming you can shoot it well and want to do that. There’s no denying that something like a 215gr Berger Hybrid traveling at 2900+ has very little wind error and hits like a ******* freight train… but there’s also no denying that with modern bullet technology and some of the smaller caliber laser beam rounds you can put animals on the ground at distance too.

With that said, I would not stick any 22 caliber bullet in any case with any amount of powder behind it to use for long range hunting. A fast 6.5 like PRC or SAUM, absolutely.
That’s essentially where I’m at. I have the 6.5C for if I want a little extra distance when hunting. I feel like the 300 is just going to be a safe queen until I move out west so I can start ELR shooting some more. At that point I might as well start from the ground up and build a dedicated rifle.

Sell and buy more TMKs😂

What bullets have equal terminal performance @1100 yards as a 6.5 PRC and a 156 Berger with the same barrel life, less recoil, and higher hit rates?

atmat

WKR
What bullets have equal terminal performance @1100 yards as a 6.5 PRC and a 156 Berger with the same barrel life, less recoil, and higher hit rates?
Not who you asked, but 1100 yards is the absolute extreme end of the hunting spectrum for 99.99999% of hunters.

The majority of hunters would benefit from a less powerful cartridge than 6.5prc

Colby

WKR
I think the 6UM would cover the terminal performance, less recoil, higher hit rate but not barrel life.
I don’t own one yet but I probably will at some point.
Me personally, I’m not necessarily an 1100 yard guy but the wind number and margin for error on trajectory with that low of recoil is appealing to me.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Where would I find info on purchasing one of these Rokslide rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you speaking of a rokslide special you have to build it. Nobody makes one out of the box.

Original config was a:
tikka 223, sportsmatch rings, swfa 3-9 scope. Add vertical grip on tikka stock and adjustable cheek piece shooting 77gr sierra tmk. preferably threaded for a can

updated config:
tikka 223, unknown munitions rings, swfa 3-9 scope. stockys vg stock, shooting 77gr sierra tmk. perferable cut to 16" and threaded for a can.

If you speaking of a rokslide special you have to build it. Nobody makes one out of the box.

Original config was a:
tikka 223, sportsmatch rings, swfa 3-9 scope. Add vertical grip on tikka stock and adjustable cheek piece shooting 77gr sierra tmk. preferably threaded for a can

updated config:
tikka 223, unknown munitions rings, swfa 3-9 scope. stockys vg stock, shooting 77gr sierra tmk. perferable cut to 16" and threaded for a can.

Ah gotcha. I thought someone here was building and selling them.

Thanks.

Reactions: NSI

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ah gotcha. I thought someone here was building and selling them.

Thanks.

Not really anything to “build” you just buy the gun and mount the scope. I always thought the “rokslide special” was a tikka 6.5 with an SWFA scope but whatever.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
To help us all make it to rifle season, I have a few animals to share from 2022 season. Firstly is a nice east Texas white tail. Very big bodied for our area, taken by my cousin with 77TMK from a 16” AR at about 150y. Ran about 50 yards and piled up. IMG_0648.jpeg

Secondly, a doe shot at about 50 yards by myself out of a climber stand. 13.9” AR 77TMK- Instant death, front shoulders almost non recoverable. Sorry for no autopsy pics. Next year I’m using an 11.5 to try to slow these bullets down and prevent some meat loss. IMG_9411.jpeg

Thirdly, a nice pig. Initially shot with a 55gr FMJ, also out of 13.9” AR and I followed up with 77TMK and hit it on the run just behind the shoulder. Lucky shot but only went about 15 yards after getting hit. Did not clean this animal but heard a whole lot of slushy liquid when rolling him around. IMG_8972.jpeg

Lastly, couple of yotes I caught out one night. One shot went through guts, second put it down. Second yote caught one to the neck and about blew its head off. All 77 TMK and 13.9” AR
IMG_8738.jpegIMG_8740.jpeg