.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Tmac

WKR
My RS Special build is in the home stretch (barrel cutting and threading next week), so I'm wasting lots of time with analysis paralysis. I don't reload. Although I have 100 rounds of 77 TMKs, I'm thinking about the practice rounds I should purchase. I've read thru the thread for the various practice round recommendations.
  1. I've got a bunch of 55gr and 62gr FMJ. Should I just shoot these and then revisit other options?
  2. I really wish there was a way to get a caliber "starter pack" of various weights/rounds, from one seller, as to put together any variety seems to require quite a few sellers. As of the moment, I'm about to buy:
    • 68gr BTHP (Frontier) and 73 ELD-M (Hornady Match) from one seller; and
    • 69gr SMK (On Target) and 77gr SMK (On Target) from another seller.
  3. Anyone try Defender or On Target brand ammo?
This 75 gr TMJ may be worth a try for targets.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 37

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks everyone. I ordered 200 of the Hornady ELD-Ms. I’m sure I will order more, of those or something else. $1.19 per with taxes and shipping. I did compare to those that offer free shipping, but the prices all end up being very close, with that being the best deal I found, in the time I was willing to spend comparing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If you had to pick between leverevolution or tac, which one would you pick?

I am new to the reloading game, so working to pick up a large amount of components.

Lever. Tac is sensitive in heavy bullets, near max loads and hot temps. Leverevolution is temp sensitive as well, it’s just stable in that regard. That is as temp goes up, velocity goes up, but I haven’t seen weird spikes- it’s more consistent in behavior.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Lever. Tac is sensitive in heavy bullets, near max loads and hot temps. Leverevolution is temp sensitive as well, it’s just stable in that regard. That is as temp goes up, velocity goes up, but I haven’t seen weird spikes- it’s more consistent in behavior.
So would tac still be a reasonable choice in cooler weather and non red line loads with heavy bullets? I recently picked up a few pounds of it for this purpose after seeing decent results on here accuracy wise. It's also $30 a pound cheaper than any h or imr powders around here. I was also considering lever as it doesn't seem to be very popular here and is somewhat cheaper as well, but I couldn't find any published data and the Internet data I could dig up wasn't very consistent.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
So would tac still be a reasonable choice in cooler weather and non red line loads with heavy bullets? I recently picked up a few pounds of it for this purpose after seeing decent results on here accuracy wise. It's also $30 a pound cheaper than any h or imr powders around here. I was also considering lever as it doesn't seem to be very popular here and is somewhat cheaper as well, but I couldn't find any published data and the Internet data I could dig up wasn't very consistent.

Tac works fine, just pay attention.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Tac works fine, just pay attention.
Will do.. I'm not a red line reloader anyways. Do you happen to have a grain weight of leverevolution to work up to? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to open source it. I like to keep my options open as I'm in northern BC and powder availability can be spotty. TIA

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Will do.. I'm not a red line reloader anyways. Do you happen to have a grain weight of leverevolution to work up to? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to open source it. I like to keep my options open as I'm in northern BC and powder availability can be spotty. TIA

26’ish grains. Work up.