.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

I've searched the thread a few times with several different search terms and couldn't find any info on the following, forgive me if I over looked it.

Anyone have any experience with the Barnes 69gr jhp bt?

I know they're not the recommended 69/77 tmk or 73/75 eld that are very proven. Just curious about that barnes bullet because in the thread there has been mixed results with Barnes tsx

Okay so this is a bit off topic but somewhat related. I'm heavily invested in a 308 rifle (ammo, reloading components etc) and it shots very well. Based on what we know from the 223 what would be the best way to maximize the 308s performance if I decided to run with it for everything including incidental grizzly hunting?
The Federal LE TRU ammo is loaded with the TMK in either 168 and 175. Hornady loads “regular” and LE ammo with the 168 ELD-M, including a Superformance variant. The 150 SST is also a solid choice, as is the 165 SST. If you hand load, you can look at the 178 ELD-M as well as the 195s if you are so inclined. You can also find Black Hills loaded 155 TMK, though the velocity tends to be mild and the price high. Hornady also loads ZMax and Black with the Amax (old tip ELD).

You need access to dealer pricing so you can sell at or below retail. The margin on something as simple as gun legos is going to be less than 5%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, im a dealer and my margin on tikkas, or any gun under $1k really, isn't anything to write home about. Typically about $100-150 less than MAP prices. Maybe its cause im a low volume dealer, others have more meat on the bone

Honestly, im a dealer and my margin on tikkas, or any gun under $1k really, isn't anything to write home about. Typically about $100-150 less than MAP prices. Maybe its cause im a low volume dealer, others have more meat on the bone
Yup I've seen it myself at my shop.

Nice buck and even nicer looking rifle. What model rifle is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you. It’s actually a Dakota Varminter. It’s based on a Nesika target action, which is a single shot. I had to laugh after it was all over. It registered that I had just smoked a 200 pound deer with a rifle called Varminter. It never would have crossed my mind to use it before I read this thread.

I got to try out the 77TMK opening morning up here in the northeast. 181lb dressed 4pt whitetail.

79FC5ABE-D125-441F-AEAB-D07F63747115.jpeg

Howa mini action 16”
Hinged bottom metal (6+1 capacity)
77TMK MV @ 2680fps
80yd impact velocity est @ ~2440
Broadside impact in shoulder just behind the scapula and joint. The deer walked 20yds and expired in less than 30seconds. No bloodtrail from the entrance wound, a few specs of blood from caughing. Bloodtrailing would have been difficult as pointed out by others.
42456779-CF54-4BB7-BBF0-D1E1919CF817.jpeg
Through entrance side rib bone
7434A022-25EF-4A40-9150-CC1F25356DF2.jpeg
Cause severe pulmonary hemmorraging and severed the aortic arc. Bullet traveled ~16” and stopped in the offside hide with a smaller (1.5”) exit out of the thoracic cavity.
5EB3A5B7-A756-4DDF-B4A0-A635869D7154.jpeg

The performed as other here have suggested. Three fragments including the jacket base, petal, and core were recovered separated but resting together. 42.5 grains (55% weight retention) and maximum diameter of the jacket was 0.675”, the lead base expanded to .440”.
2C18942C-F753-432B-B716-AC4721A87A9C.jpeg
4AB7FDF2-7506-4850-B585-9AECE7990A7D.jpeg
7780684D-98C2-47E2-A7EA-E3F72B70F735.jpeg
I was very pleased with the terminal performance. I was able to clearly see my impact through the scope and stay on the deer. I had the opportunity to pic my shot through trees and brush which is not very common up her in the “big woods”. We often have to take moving or running quick shots when tracking deer in the snow. I personally believe this combo is up to the task because I can get back on target much faster for follow up shots and the TMK performed as well if not better than other 30cals in similar scenarios I have had.

I got to try out the 77TMK opening morning up here in the northeast. 181lb dressed 4pt whitetail.

View attachment 626390

Howa mini action 16”
Hinged bottom metal (6+1 capacity)
77TMK MV @ 2680fps
80yd impact velocity est @ ~2440
Broadside impact in shoulder just behind the scapula and joint. The deer walked 20yds and expired in less than 30seconds. No bloodtrail from the entrance wound, a few specs of blood from caughing. Bloodtrailing would have been difficult as pointed out by others.
View attachment 626377
Through entrance side rib bone
View attachment 626379
Cause severe pulmonary hemmorraging and severed the aortic arc. Bullet traveled ~16” and stopped in the offside hide with a smaller (1.5”) exit out of the thoracic cavity.
View attachment 626382

The performed as other here have suggested. Three fragments including the jacket base, petal, and core were recovered separated but resting together. 42.5 grains (55% weight retention) and maximum diameter of the jacket was 0.675”, the lead base expanded to .440”.
View attachment 626387
View attachment 626388
View attachment 626389
I was very pleased with the terminal performance. I was able to clearly see my impact through the scope and stay on the deer. I had the opportunity to pic my shot through trees and brush which is not very common up her in the “big woods”. We often have to take moving or running quick shots when tracking deer in the snow. I personally believe this combo is up to the task because I can get back on target much faster for follow up shots and the TMK performed as well if not better than other 30cals in similar scenarios I have had.
Nice job. What bottom metal are you using that is getting you 6+1 capacity in a mini and how does it feed?

Nice job. What bottom metal are you using that is getting you 6+1 capacity in a mini and how does it feed?
Jefferson outdoors hinged bottom metal. As advertised 5+1 capacity. I am able to just fit 6 after I shimmed and bedded the bottom metal in my Stockys stock. It feeds 100% for me, but you must make sure your fitment is set and the bolt face engages enough of the case head as part of the bedding process.

Another data point for the 77 grain TMK. This was from 17” 22-250 started at 3000fps. Buck was 313 yards. Wife hit him in the shoulder slightly quartering towards us. Bullet went through shoulder and exited behind opposite shoulder. Buck stumbled 20 yards and tipped over.
View attachment 626227
That buck is a stonker! He's as big or bigger than the ones I saw in Wyoming this year. Well done to your wife!

9df29dbba00943322c0d91b0197ba852.jpg

Pretty good day. Dongs sporting goods in Tulsa Oklahoma has probably 2,000 77 TMKs. I picked up a few. And some other goodies.

Several lbs of xbr too but I use TAC.

Excited to try these 162 ELDMs too in 7 mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When measuring weight retention, is it fair game to bases that on multiple fragments? That seems to be antithetical to what that measurement is trying to capture.

Back