.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
I got to try out the 77TMK opening morning up here in the northeast. 181lb dressed 4pt whitetail.

View attachment 626390

Howa mini action 16”
Hinged bottom metal (6+1 capacity)
77TMK MV @ 2680fps
80yd impact velocity est @ ~2440
Broadside impact in shoulder just behind the scapula and joint. The deer walked 20yds and expired in less than 30seconds. No bloodtrail from the entrance wound, a few specs of blood from caughing. Bloodtrailing would have been difficult as pointed out by others.
View attachment 626377
Through entrance side rib bone
View attachment 626379
Cause severe pulmonary hemmorraging and severed the aortic arc. Bullet traveled ~16” and stopped in the offside hide with a smaller (1.5”) exit out of the thoracic cavity.
View attachment 626382

The performed as other here have suggested. Three fragments including the jacket base, petal, and core were recovered separated but resting together. 42.5 grains (55% weight retention) and maximum diameter of the jacket was 0.675”, the lead base expanded to .440”.
View attachment 626387
View attachment 626388
View attachment 626389
I was very pleased with the terminal performance. I was able to clearly see my impact through the scope and stay on the deer. I had the opportunity to pic my shot through trees and brush which is not very common up her in the “big woods”. We often have to take moving or running quick shots when tracking deer in the snow. I personally believe this combo is up to the task because I can get back on target much faster for follow up shots and the TMK performed as well if not better than other 30cals in similar scenarios I have had.

Finally caught up on this monster thread, every post from start to now. Damned if this bullet isn't a cool little thing. I quoted Matt because I'm appreciative of the close-ups of the cleaned bullet fragments. Those are gnarly and given the speeds they're moving through the animal at, it makes the larger wound tracts make a lot more sense. Good stretch from the temp cavity, tissue torn by those big jagged pieces and prevented from returning. I had it in my head that a lot more of the bullet was fragmented and a lot of the previous bullet remnant pictures weren't clear on how big or how much of the bullet remained.

So it looks like the gameplan for me has definitively changed. I've got a pretty good scope on the way, already have a base for it, have one and a half AR's (soon two) to slap it on, and see who shoots these fancy 77grainers better and that'll be papa's first hunting rifle. At that point I'll be confident that the hardware is fine and it's just the software that'll need learning.

Thank folks, this topic has been a trip but an educational one for sure.

np307

Lil-Rokslider
Quick and dirty zero confirmed on steel and this brand new rifle is ready for gun season. Hopefully I'll be able to stack up a couple whitetails. Going to be using 62gr fusion this year, I'll work up loads for tmks next year.20231113_152034.jpg

Arkansas public land mountain buck. AAC 77gr TMK at approximately 60 yards from factory tikka lite. He ran maybe 50 yards which I partially attributed to him chasing a doe at the time.
40D95A3A-3F8A-4CA4-BFEF-15B960C6DE1D.jpeg
Entry side with shoulder cut away.
AB9C9EDB-739A-45FD-8AAB-37A7A7B9F2FF.jpeg
Exit side. Complete pass through.
BD06CCFF-4ECD-4150-9B46-479C09C4A17B.jpeg
Blood trail was 18-24” wide in places starting about 15yards from where he was shot so no issues for the ‘tracking.’

I’ve used 75gr gold dot and 75gr ELDs in the past with great success as well. I’ll likely use this AAC loading if it stays available.

SBR Sarge

FNG
When measuring weight retention, is it fair game to bases that on multiple fragments? That seems to be antithetical to what that measurement is trying to capture.
I always have seen it done based on the weight of the largest piece that is intact.

When measuring weight retention, is it fair game to bases that on multiple fragments? That seems to be antithetical to what that measurement is trying to capture.
I believe the three fragments depicted are representative in this case. The pieces depicted were all resting together under the offside hide. The pieces will actually “fit” back together loosely and traveled “together” to their final resting place. Now if I collected pieces that dispursed throughout the carcass I would say it would be misleading. In the end 42.5 grains of lead and copper traveled through the vitals entirely into the offside of the animal.

Last edited:

leomort

FNG
Question regarding SWFA scopes. Is the HD glass worth getting over their non HD glass? I noticed their 6x fixed is non-HD compared to their fixed 10x.

atmat

WKR
Question regarding SWFA scopes. Is the HD glass worth getting over their non HD glass? I noticed their 6x fixed is non-HD compared to their fixed 10x.
The 6x glass is good, and I much prefer the scope to the 10x. A fixed 6x doesn’t need top quality glass to produce a good picture.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Found a unicorn at a little sporting goods store in Wyoming today. Hopefully this is a sign that it’s becoming more available. Excited to move away from TAC and start using this with the TMK’s instead!

Attachments

• IMG_7728.jpeg
    IMG_7728.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 50
Did you get a pass through with that bullet? I have a box I'd like to try as well at some point.
What form said tang true for two deer so far pure ribs you’ll get an exit most of the time.
Hit either shoulder and it will be under the offside hide.
First deer center of both shoulder bullet found under offside skin. Not a lot of blood but when he started bleeding it was dramatic.
Second deer pure ribs small exit with a decent blood trail but it wasn’t necessary as neither deer ran far enough to have to track them.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Found a unicorn at a little sporting goods store in Wyoming today. Hopefully this is a sign that it’s becoming more available. Excited to move away from TAC and start using this with the TMK’s instead!

What don’t you like about the TAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahr

FNG
Red stag and a young Fallow spiker.

Both about 150 yards. Both lung shot. 60 grn Hammer Hunter. 20" 223 @ 3150 fps. Both bullets passed through. Red stag ran about 30 yards. Fallow just did the .223 stagger and dropped.

Good blood trails. Pics of lung entry and exit on Red stag.

Attachments

• IMG_8996.jpeg
    IMG_8996.jpeg
    848.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8998.jpeg
    IMG_8998.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9005.jpeg
    IMG_9005.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9003.jpeg
    IMG_9003.jpeg