.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

atmat

WKR
I'd suggest the factory Hornady 73 ELDM since you can get hem as low as $22 a box when you buy a case (with free shipping on case lots) which is great for practice ammo if your rifle likes them. Mine does and now that I've upgraded my stock (RAR 5.56 rotary mag from factory stock to KRG Bravo) I'm excited to see how well that they will shoot at distance.

Jay
I really like the ELD-M, but $1.10 each gets costly if you’re using it as a trainer and shooting in the thousands annually.

The Guide

WKR
I really like the ELD-M, but $1.10 each gets costly if you’re using it as a trainer and shooting in the thousands annually.
I understand but for factory ammo it does quite well. You are looking at $1.40 each for factory 77 TMK. If you reload, the initial investment in 200 rounds of factory Hornady will yield you brass that should allow for another 4 loadings minimum with minimal brass prep which gives you your 1k a year to practice with. If you were using a typical hunting round for practice you would be looking at $2.00 to $3.00 for the same experience.

Jay

What’s the purpose? Not that you have to have one, just curious.
Don’t know what his is, but if hiking is not a factor. You can build an ar to a very similar accuracy standard for the same amount of money (usually less) as a Tikka. Also, parts are cheaper and easier to find

My RS Special build is in the home stretch (barrel cutting and threading next week), so I'm wasting lots of time with analysis paralysis. I don't reload. Although I have 100 rounds of 77 TMKs, I'm thinking about the practice rounds I should purchase. I've read thru the thread for the various practice round recommendations.
  1. I've got a bunch of 55gr and 62gr FMJ. Should I just shoot these and then revisit other options?
  2. I really wish there was a way to get a caliber "starter pack" of various weights/rounds, from one seller, as to put together any variety seems to require quite a few sellers. As of the moment, I'm about to buy:
    • 68gr BTHP (Frontier) and 73 ELD-M (Hornady Match) from one seller; and
    • 69gr SMK (On Target) and 77gr SMK (On Target) from another seller.
  3. Anyone try Defender or On Target brand ammo?

Sounds like you need to make good friends with a reloader (bullet pack rat). This would solve your loading and starter pack issue.

FZMT

FNG
My RS Special build is in the home stretch (barrel cutting and threading next week), so I'm wasting lots of time with analysis paralysis. I don't reload. Although I have 100 rounds of 77 TMKs, I'm thinking about the practice rounds I should purchase. I've read thru the thread for the various practice round recommendations.
  1. I've got a bunch of 55gr and 62gr FMJ. Should I just shoot these and then revisit other options?
  2. I really wish there was a way to get a caliber "starter pack" of various weights/rounds, from one seller, as to put together any variety seems to require quite a few sellers. As of the moment, I'm about to buy:
No reason not to try the 55/62gr.

My rifle shot the 68gr Frontier fine, it liked the factory 73gr ELD-M.

PSA usually seems to have good inventory and has a house load for the 75gr BTHP, 77gr SMK and 77gr TMK and might stock the Frontier/ELD-M. I have not tried the PSA/AAC offerings.

I can’t speak to On Target but I imagine your rifle will shoot the heavier Hornady/Frontier stuff or 68/77gr SMKs just fine.

The Sierra smk seems to be quite a bit cheaper and way more available than the tmk or even the eldm so you might be able to get the same kind of accuracy with them I’d use that as a practice round

Don’t know what his is, but if hiking is not a factor. You can build an ar to a very similar accuracy standard for the same amount of money (usually less) as a Tikka. Also, parts are cheaper and easier to find
I’m pretty familiar with the AR platform, I just get excited when someone wants to use one for hunting. I always hear negative comments about them and their application outside of MIL/LE use.

I’ve never shot a Tikka, so I have no comparison, but I know my AR builds are fairly accurate.

I’m pretty familiar with the AR platform, I just get excited when someone wants to use one for hunting. I always hear negative comments about them and their application outside of MIL/LE use.

I’ve never shot a Tikka, so I have no comparison, but I know my AR builds are fairly accurate.
There is nothing wrong with hunting using ar15 pattern rifles. I’ve killed more pigs and deer with them than I have with bolt guns by a factor of 4-5.

Drenalin

WKR
That’s pretty awesome. You could do a 13.7/14.5” with a folding stock and it would be pretty handy as well. Depending on your muzzle adaptor, if you P/W it, it would be a legal 16” gun and you wouldn’t have to worry about the SBR issues. Just a thought…….

Either way, that’s pretty rad and I dig it.
I wasn’t even aware of the SBR issue; thanks for bringing that up. Leaning away from a pinned and welded muzzle device. May just go with a 16” barrel and a folder.

Would like to keep the weight low, maybe 7-ish pounds with optic. When I’m not hunting in people’s backyards, I hike a lot.

I’m hunting with a Ruger American in 223 this year, with 73 ELD-Ms. If there’s no drama with recovery, I’ll pursue the AR option.

Lawnboi

WKR

73 elms have similar bc to the tmk. And they seem to shoot well from the tikka chamber.

The lighter stuff would be fine for close up, you can also get a case of 69smk or 55bk for pretty cheap from the site above, made by ADI

This rifle has accounted for probably 30 deer between regular license tags and management license tags, and a boatload of pigs.

62 fusion, with kills out to 316 meters.IMG_6829.jpeg

Have had zero recovery issues. Every animal hit has been recovered. Longest tracking was due to a frontal heart shot at ~180, and the animal ran probably 50m through several thick motts. Even with that, easy to track and recover. I would have zero hesitation taking any animal in North America with a 5.56 bullet placed correctly.

If it is worth anything, my experience hunting with ar15 pattern guns is what led me to try the 223 tikka. So I guess I’m coming at this from the opposite direction.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR

73 elms have similar bc to the tmk. And they seem to shoot well from the tikka chamber.

The lighter stuff would be fine for close up, you can also get a case of 69smk or 55bk for pretty cheap from the site above, made by ADI
I am thinking the same. I could try for lighter bullets and unknown manufacturers to save some money, or just go with these. I debated a box or two to see if my rifle “likes” them, but realized they won’t go to waste in any event - so case and no shipping sounds good.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Mine prefers the 73 ELD-M over the frontier at any weight (55/68/75’s) but for practice you should be sub 2MOA over 10+ round groups with them, not bad for the price . Much tighter groups with the Match. I don’t reload either, send your TMK’s to unknown they have a “house load” over 8208 that shoots well.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.jpeg
    IMG_5283.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-06-13 13:50:55.618864.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-06-13 13:50:55.618864.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
68 frontier shoots pretty well in mine and very close to poa.

This rifle has accounted for probably 30 deer between regular license tags and management license tags, and a boatload of pigs.

62 fusion, with kills out to 316 meters.View attachment 597218

Have had zero recovery issues. Every animal hit has been recovered. Longest tracking was due to a frontal heart shot at ~180, and the animal ran probably 50m through several thick motts. Even with that, easy to track and recover. I would have zero hesitation taking any animal in North America with a 5.56 bullet placed correctly.

If it is worth anything, my experience hunting with ar15 pattern guns is what led me to try the 223 tikka. So I guess I’m coming at this from the opposite direction.
That’s a good looking rig.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Mine prefers the 73 ELD-M over the frontier at any weight (55/68/75’s) but for practice you should be sub 2MOA over 10+ round groups with them, not bad for the price . Much tighter groups with the Match. I don’t reload either, send your TMK’s to unknown they have a “house load” over 8208 that shoots well.
What’s the speed on the 8208 77 grain TMK loads? COAL on that load?

Thanks