.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the 88s out of a 22BR with a 1-7" up to 3100 fps and never had one come apart. I tried some 75s, but I didn't gain much speed.
That's smoking the 88's in that case, what barrel length and powder if you don't mind?

Lawnboi

WKR
Not a prefered, but I have a Xcaliber 7tw 22 Creed 27", and most of 40 88's didn't make it to the 100 yard target. 7.5 tw will shoot the 88's, so if you can get it changed, it will give you a little bit of margin.
What were they moving at? You got 11” of barrel on me

Hurley88

FNG
For all the guys waiting to hear about the Tikka T3X in 243…I finally measured it.

It’s a 1:10”

Called Beretta the next day to ask about it (now that I had an actual serial number) and confirmed with them that it’s a 1:10. So there ya have it, gents.

“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
Congratulations! Nice looking bear!!

For all the guys waiting to hear about the Tikka T3X in 243…I finally measured it.

It’s a 1:10”

Called Beretta the next day to ask about it (now that I had an actual serial number) and confirmed with them that it’s a 1:10. So there ya have it, gents.

What is the model number you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
I had zero issues, paid for the product and it came as advertised problem free just like I would expect from some of the bigger names.

I communicated with him via Facebook but here is his site and email. He emailed me an invoice and I was able to pay with CC through the invoice pretty painless. I have a phone number and email as well but out of respect for him I will only provide that via pm because it is not listed on his site. You can also find him under “vantage research” on Facebook. He was pleasant to deal with and seemed like a stand up guy. I would buy from him again I hope this helps some people out.

Just ordered a box of 500. Thanks for the heads up.

amassi

WKR
I am in the same boat regarding the worry about 88's coming apart. I am planning on a Preferred Barrel to run the 88's out of the 22 Creedmoor. Preferred uses a .219 blank, but it's 3R Rifling. I am concerned that the 3R could cause me issues in a 1/7 twist. So currently I am l considering a 1/7.5. (Maybe someone can chime in that has used the 88's out of a 1/7 Preferred blank.)
They won't.
Primal rights is shooting them out of a 22 prc at hyper speed.

I've shot over 5000 of them now in 7 different 1:7 barrels and have had 0 come apart. Some 3 groove, some 5 groove.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Another elk. This one at very low impact velocity. 1,440fps impact. 77gr TMK. First shot was through scapula, high lung, second shot back of ribs and broke the spine. Total distance traveled was 30’ish yards.

View attachment 499309

Still upsetting quite well-

View attachment 499310

This is significant!

This elk was killed at over 800 yds with a 77TMK!!!

This is a PERFECT example of the process and ’the science’ (****!ng rot in hell fauch!) working. Delivery system based around a projectile that delivers an acceptable terminal wound channel by a shooter that knows how to deliver same.

Winning.

slowelk

WKR
I got 100 rounds of 88 ELD-M from UM while waiting on components.

Their load card says 3250 fps…my LabRadar says 3050 (22” barrel). Hopefully she speeds up

In every round I’ve tried from UM their velocity numbers are dramatically overstated.

Hurley88

FNG
Thanks. I just ordered the JRTXE315…. Wonder if it’ll be the same twist, supposed to be an 8.

Hope so…but when I called the lady on the phone said all the Lites were 1:10. I nicely suggested they change that info on their website.

Looked into yours just now, each place I checked that sells them shows 1:10. My advice? Bring a rod to check before taking it home.

The problem with that is it’s from a local guy that I had order it and he’s getting out of the business so don’t want him stuck with it either. If it is a 10 twist I’ll probably just sin another barrel on it someday.

After reading some of the Ice fail test thread I won’t likely be buying another 700 action or clone again…. I handled some different brands and cycled the actions at a gun shop last week and every brand but the Tikka I could get the bolt to easily bind up when working the action, even the high dollar customs. The Tikka wouldn’t bind no matter what I tried doing to it.

Lil-Rokslider
That's smoking the 88's in that case, what barrel length and powder if you don't mind?
Lapua 6BR case necked down, CCI450, Rl16 got me up to 3150, Varget to 3100, H4895 to 3050. 5R Bartlein finished at 26" suppressed. It was the most accurate and consistent at 3000-3050 with any of the 3 powders. I shot two 3 shot groups at 420 yards before a ladder to make sure I would be on white paper for the sharpie colored bullets. I should have looked closer at the groups and not shot the ladder. There were .29" and .46" and I shot them fast.

BigThig09

FNG
This thread is amazing and convinced me to pull the trigger on buying a Tikka T3x in .223.

I have a metric ton of 62 and 75 grain factory loaded Speer Gold Dots and have read all the good reviews in this thread on them. However, I was also curious about the factory loading from Sierra with the 64 grain Tipped Gameking (TGK) called the Gamechanger. Has anyone used these at all, or would anyone have any reservations on using them? It has been hard to find any good reviews on them across the internet, and I figured this would be the best place obviously. What would y'all pick between the three bullets 62 and 75 grain gold dot/fusion, or the 64 grain TGK?

Thanks!

This thread is amazing and convinced me to pull the trigger on buying a Tikka T3x in .223.

I have a metric ton of 62 and 75 grain factory loaded Speer Gold Dots and have read all the good reviews in this thread on them. However, I was also curious about the factory loading from Sierra with the 64 grain Tipped Gameking (TGK) called the Gamechanger. Has anyone used these at all, or would anyone have any reservations on using them? It has been hard to find any good reviews on them across the internet, and I figured this would be the best place obviously. What would y'all pick between the three bullets 62 and 75 grain gold dot/fusion, or the 64 grain TGK?

Thanks!
The 64gr TGK is a hard bullet with a thick jacket and will underperform compared to the Gold Dots. The 77gr TMK is the golden child of this caliber, but the 62 & 75 gr gold dots are no slouch.

If it where me, I wouldn't mess with the TGK.

BjornF16

WKR
Good to hear.

I think a lot of the issue is so many tight bore 224 barrels out there. I made sure the blank I got is .219.

I’m hoping the 88s work.
I just verified...I'm running a Preferred 3R barrel, 22", 7" twist launching 88s at 3050 fps (UM) and 3180 fps (hand load) with no issues.

The 64gr TGK is a hard bullet with a thick jacket and will underperform compared to the Gold Dots. The 77gr TMK is the golden child of this caliber, but the 62 & 75 gr gold dots are no slouch.

If it where me, I wouldn't mess with the TGK.
What kind of critters have you pumped it into, at what velocities and what kind of weight retention?