New Hoyt RX8 80 lb

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I bought the RX8 while attending the Western Hunt expo this year. I wasn't planning on getting a new bow, but when I passed the Hoyt booth there was no wait to shoot it, and well, here we are! It was very nice to shoot-smooth draw, much quieter than my RX1, and the 80 pounds felt more like 70. I can confidently say I am glad I upgraded, as the improvements Hoyt made are real and noticeable.
Wilde Arrow Archery was the vendor I purchased from, and I have nothing but great things to say about them. They are passionate and knowledgeable, and very easy to deal with. This means a lot to me, as I am quite picky when spending $2k. Shout out to Mark who spent quite a bit of time with me at the show and over the phone getting things the way I wanted.

I went with the OD green, and asked about string colors. I always like going Red/White/Blue so they threw on some custom ABB strings.

IMG_2187.jpeg

For arrows, I needed a new set as my 340 spines weren't going to cut it. I debated ordering the jig and components to do it myself, but in the end time was a factor for me. I felt it was my best bang for buck (and time) to get them done. I was hooked up by Black Ovis, where they have a custom arrow builder program right on their site. They provided the arrows for me to review. It was easy to use, and I was able to dial in exactly what I wanted. I went with Victory RIP TKO's in a 250 spine with AAE hybrid vanes and 50 grain collars to finish it out. They also have a promo code that will get you LIGHTENING SPEED on your arrow builds, it is DIALED25. Big thanks to @Mighty Mouse for running numbers on arrows for me. We have some legit archery guys on this forum!

IMG_2145.jpeg

With 100 grain field points and 29.5" DL this bow is sending these 444 grain arrows at 307 FPS. Accuracy is remarkable this early on. I'm still tweaking the sight, but for now I'm slinging them in nice groups to 60 yards.

IMG_2188.jpeg

I'll be updating this thread as I get this bow dialed in. I plan to shoot a few more arrows, and move on to broadheads where I'll test several to determine best flight and see which BH will be in the quiver this fall.

Any questions I can answer about this bow or process, fire away!

Dave

Last edited:
Nice setup, devil. One question, how long is your Draw? One tidbit, if you move your stabilizer to the bottom, with the go sticks, and move your stubby stabilizer to the top slot, you now have a tri-pod to use. I do this instead of leaving the bottom cam sitting on the deck. Nice to have during 3D shoots to bring the bottom cam up off the dirt. Something the new "nipple" might not do sufficiently. Personal preference though. 8" stabilizer works the best for this.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Nice setup, devil. One question, how long is your Draw? One tidbit, if you move your stabilizer to the bottom, with the go sticks, and move your stubby stabilizer to the top slot, you now have a tri-pod to use. I do this instead of leaving the bottom cam sitting on the deck. Nice to have during 3D shoots to bring the bottom cam up off the dirt. Something the new "nipple" might not do sufficiently. Personal preference though. 8" stabilizer works the best for this.

Dang, I swore I included my DL! It's 29.5"

I'm going to try that tripod move-I had a hell of a time putting go sticks on, great design but I'm a knuckledragger....
I've been making sure to not set bow down in dirt, which is a PIA. (y)(y)

MattB

WKR
The owner of one of the better shops in our state told me all his best shooters have gone back to putting the long stab in the hole just below the grip of that means anything.

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
What did you do with your 340 arrows, I’ve got a Hoyt defiant that needs 340’s and I need some more.
Let’s chat please.
Thanks,
Jon

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
The owner of one of the better shops in our state told me all his best shooters have gone back to putting the long stab in the hole just below the grip of that means anything.
Yeah Matt, it may be going back. Although it helps with the kickstand of setting bow down, it's pulling bow forward too much.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
What did you do with your 340 arrows, I’ve got a Hoyt defiant that needs 340’s and I need some more.
Let’s chat please.
Thanks,
Jon
Sorry Jon, sold them with my older bow.

JK47

FNG
Sweet bow. I went with the Alpha X 30, Green riser/black 70/80 pound limbs, and I love it. I’m at 74 pounds/29”, and honestly don’t see the need to go much more on the draw weight. Sending 465 grain arrows at 286….good enough for me. It is so smooth and shoots incredible.

I went with the 6” stabilizer in the bottom hole(no kickstand), and my stubby off the side to counter the weight of my quiver. It balances really well, at least for me.

Enjoy! Hope you get blood on it!!!

codym

WKR
Nice I’m looking at this bow and the the Mathews lift 33 both in 80 but lefty’s. I’m waiting to shoot them back to back to make my choice, my setup will be similar to yours for elk this year. Interested in hearing about your bh choices

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Nice I’m looking at this bow and the the Mathews lift 33 both in 80 but lefty’s. I’m waiting to shoot them back to back to make my choice, my setup will be similar to yours for elk this year. Interested in hearing about your bh choices

Now that the new target stand is operational, I'll be doing a lot more shooting here soon. I plan to test several broadheads and post up results.