2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Lowedown

FNG
Totally agree this is a great thread and challenge. It's awesome we have sponsor support for it, and I wouldn't be surprised if that continues to grow. The admins that solicit such things, and coordinate this whole shebang need applause as well! Thanks guys!

Lowedown

FNG
This was great motivation to go do some field conditions practice. Pretty sure I am going to swap and start doing the majority of my training away from a range from now on.
for sure, field practice is awesome! We just can't replace the range for a controlled environment for "scientific" testing" ;)

cjdewese

WKR
for sure, field practice is awesome! We just can't replace the range for a controlled environment for "scientific" testing" ;)
Completely agree and have plenty of science left to do, but just saying that I want to prioritize field practice over shooting more 100-300 yard groups and calling it practice.

Lowedown

FNG
Completely agree and have plenty of science left to do, but just saying that I want to prioritize field practice over shooting more 100-300 yard groups and calling it practice.
You are right on the money. I personally do a lot of load testing at the range, then verify turret and load every 100 yards to 1000 all off the bench often finding a need for adjustment. Once I am confident that the rifle and load are doing as good as possible I switch to shooting field positions using rests and positions I will have hunting.

Although that has served me well, I found this format to do a better job of putting more emphasis on the one shot, the one set up, the one chance :) I have my first antelope hunt coming up, and I plan to do more practice like this beforehand. I may even rig up a life-sized cardboard antelope ;)

Side note, this challenge as well as some other shooting I went and did later this weekend motivated me to finally pick up a used Kestrel!

nphunter

WKR
Good morning! I feel like I missed a buck this morning, and will be analyzing my missed shot all day today!

I lost my day 2 shot to a small ill timed wind gust this morning. Another great learning experience to get me thinking about what I could have done better. I'm thinking zoom out to see more foilage for wind changes, and remember that grassy open ridges start thermalizing in that morning sun :)
At least you didn’t miss both days, I totally blew it this year. I haven’t shot my rifle since the cold bore last year though so I’m not totally surprised I missed. I did center punch the target on my follow up shot.

Lowedown

FNG
At least you didn’t miss both days, I totally blew it this year. I haven’t shot my rifle since the cold bore last year though so I’m not totally surprised I missed. I did center punch the target on my follow up shot.
Hey! You had some pretty tough conditions man! Conditions definitely effect our MER daily! To me it looks like the vapor trail on your second shot is headed towards the upper crossbar on your target stand maybe and go deflected up left?
Good work finding the third shot!

I was shooting at enterprise yesterday and it took me like 5 rounds to hit the 700 yd plate. I kept missing a hair right or left in the variable wind.
I finally broke down and ordered a kestrel to start guess and checking my wind calls. We should go do some shooting sometime!

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
For everyone looking for the next challenge, last minute shooters wanted

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
For everyone looking for the next challenge, last minute shooters wanted
Such a great idea, I'd be there if I lived closer. I hope you guys have a great time.

It would be so cool to have challenges like this in many locations with guys wanting to get better at field position shooting in varied terrain. If I can figure out a location I'd enjoy hosting one in Washington.