2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

sndmn11

WKR
Details, man, details. This is “unconventional”.
That rifle and another vanguard with similar mfg dates in 6.5creed that don't shoot well. I ended up getting around a dozen different bullets to try, most from @mtnwrunner(Trandy) in this thread https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/wtt-wtb-6-5-bullets.255529/

They both shoot 140vld, 124hammer, and 85hammer in the 2-3" well distributed 100yd groups.

The rifle story and iterations.
I ended up with several hundred of the 85gr hammers, and since this is supposed to be the kids' rifle, that's what is shot out of this one. It is IMR4166, I've tested staball match and it's a little faster but I'm shooting through the 4166 first. I shot a deer with it in 2022 at 120ish yards and he dropped. It had a 6x sfwa on it then, and there's a picture in the above rifle story thread. That rs3.2 showed up three days ago.

Dad bought his own vanguard after the rifle story thread above, but, it's a similar a similar mfg dates and similarly picky. He is sending the 140vld out around 2900fps (I think, I'm still in bed) from a 24" barrel using staball65. He used the 6x in 2023 and it's perfect for weight, trauma, simplicity, killing.
IMG_0324.jpgPXL_20231007_171012616.jpg

Stumpy208

FNG
Posted up my second miss haha (#28). Most of the times I have gone out this year have been to get my 10 year old ready to go after his first muley.
I've spent most of my time worrying about his practice that I have neglected my own and it definitely shows.
With a 3 month old and 2 year old also, it's difficult to get out as much as I'd like.
Not trying to make excuses, just driving the point home that if you don't use it you lose it.

On the plus side, my 10 year old does pretty good at positional field shooting out to 75 yards with iron sights. Now I want to put a scope on the rifle to push the distance a little more for him (since the front sight post covers the 10" gong further than that).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Took my new Rokslide special out this evening. Ran it out to 600 yards. It was so much fun I couldn't stop shooting at just one but what the hell I can't win anyways.
144aec3e194060762cbbffaae64aaa0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
My phone seems to open the cbc thread only after I close all open apps. Im not sure, but some of my apps must be constantly updating in the background when open, and it seems to eat up bandwidth. Soon as I close my onx, wx radar app, etc (which always seem to be open, guess what else I waste my time doing) the cbc thread will open fine. Seems all the video previews need bandwidth to open, and my phone just doesnt have the juice to do everything at once.

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 thats cool, thanks. 3500fps is SMOKIN, bet you’re not kidding about “laser-wacking”!

I think the concept of it being trajectory forgiving to 200yds is there. My 400yd adjustment was 1.2mil, whereas Cindy with her 7-08 was 1.9mil. My 30-06 is at Black Canyon getting a trio of barrels spun up, so this rifle filled it's backup role. I didn't want to use Cindy's because she wanted to put the RS1.2 on hers when we were done and shot through what loaded she had to see if she liked the scope.

@Ucsdryder loaded up some of these 85 hammers for his daughter last year for elk, but didn't like the on game performance. @eoperator sent one into gel last year https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/a-few-gel-tests.300879/post-3002875

I like this idea. I had thought about the mollinator or the new jellyfish since they are form approved, but I can't justify spending $100/each bag. I'm gonna try this and my bino pack as well next outing.
I use one of the ls wild 2-5 bags. They’re reasonably priced and work well. Super lightweight as well.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Dang it, down to the wire for me. Between work and family trips I haven't had much time.

I have a new rifle and a break in load running a little slow but very tight at 300. I went yesterday to validate it at 600 but due to extreme heat in the afternoon the mirage was too much to do anything with.

Going to try again tomorrow morning then shoot for Sunday and Monday prior to leaving town again Tuesday after work.

Best of luck to those plugging away at it.