2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Quick break from the heckling…

This is an awesome format. I appreciate what the Rokslide team did to put this together, prizes or not. It’s simple things like this that confirm/deny limitations and reinforce the sense of community beyond the internets. For that, I say thank you.

I also tip my hat to those that are posting their missed shots, it’s a very simple, but special kind of integrity. Integrity is an undervalued character trait these days, and you my friends, have it in spades.

I'd like there to be a monthly "postal match" similar to what is done on a couple of traditional muzzleloader forums.

Winner gets to pick target and shooting conditions for the next month and how it is scored.

For example, month of July could be best score on some type of ringed target used for scoring (say a 10" circle with various rings) at 400 yards, shot from a sitting position. You use whatever you'd use shooting in a hunting sitting position... Rest rifle on top of pack, long bipod, sticks, etc. Timed... Standing to firing 3 shots within X seconds.

Count up score. Post picture and/or vid of target. OP of current month target is the score counter and Winner determiner. Winner picks next months target and shooting condition.

It wouldn't really require any time from moderators, other than possibly just creating a sub forum. This could be done for both rifle and bow.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
I really appreciate the work that went into this, I personally find it motivating. I dig the unofficial monthly idea^^, I might not be able to swing doing it every month, but I'd try.

I shot my second target this morning before work, and missed. Shot sitting this time, I missed just barely off the plate. I was consoling myself by thinking I did great given it was only an 8" plate...and then proceeded to miss again...twice...after that. :(
It's really made me more motivated to work on my positional shooting at a standard range, I think for me the easiest place to improve is not trying to squeak better groups from prone, its trying to tighten up from other positions. I practice that, but it's often sort of prs focused and probably (definitely) dont do it enough with my hunting rifle and gear.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, just posted my 2nd and final shot. Post #40

although I went 1/2, still a lot of fun and definitely nervey only shooting once!!

Someone else needs to hurry up and enter so my embarrassing post isn't just hanging at the end for everyone to scrutinize. Thanks for the likes on the post but pretty sure they're out of sympathy.

Ryan, where is my 6UM/Rokstock?

Zork

FNG
OK, just posted my 2nd and final shot. Post #40

although I went 1/2, still a lot of fun and definitely nervey only shooting once!!

Someone else needs to hurry up and enter so my embarrassing post isn't just hanging at the end for everyone to scrutinize. Thanks for the likes on the post but pretty sure they're out of sympathy.

Ryan, where is my 6UM/Rokstock?
I came out from being a lurker to cover it up for you with my fumbling effort.

Fingers crossed for something cool (rokstock) in the drawing.

Hoping to get my first shot done in the morning if I have time. I have a 10 inch gong set up however it has some impacts on it from the little bit of shooting I’ve been able to do this spring. Do I need to hike over and repaint it so my 2 shots are the only ones on it or is it ok with the video of impact

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hoping to get my first shot done in the morning if I have time. I have a 10 inch gong set up however it has some impacts on it from the little bit of shooting I’ve been able to do this spring. Do I need to hike over and repaint it so my 2 shots are the only ones on it or is it ok with the video of impact
The video won’t lie. And any tracker worth of salt can tell a fresh impact from an old. Good luck, man!

Ucsdryder

WKR
My wife and oldest daughter plan on playing if we can find a day the wind isn’t howling! Hopefully there’s room. I’m hoping my 12 year old can put Robby to shame. 😝

Macintosh

WKR
My wife and oldest daughter plan on playing if we can find a day the wind isn’t howling! Hopefully there’s room. I’m hoping my 12 year old can put Robby to shame. 😝
2 weeks in and only 41 posts so far, with the first being the rules. So with roughly a month to go there's at least 60 slots left, more if some folks dont get their second shot in. While my drawing odds would be improved if no one else participates, it looks like there is plenty of room left.

Was there a flurry of last-minute posting last year?

mcr-85

WKR
I haven't been able to go shoot this challenge yet. Yesterday before work I went to sight in a rifle after getting a new scope on it. After sighting it in I went to the little spot I have 3 pieces of steel hanging. My plates are old farm discs and are probably 20" in diameter.

I first shot my 270WSM at 500. It was 85° and I guesstimated the wind at 12mph left to right, full value. That gave me a 2.2mil up and a 0.7mil hold to the left. I hit the plate, but not sure where. I haven't painted these since last fall and I didn't have a spotter to video the shots.

My second shot was at 628. Wind angle was different on this shot, about 3/4 value left to right. I kept the 0.7 mil hold for wind and dialed to 3. I hit the plate but again, not sure where.

I then shot my 6.5x284 that I had just sighted in. It pretty much mirrors my 270WSM for ballistics. I kept the same wind holds and made first round hits on both plates.

Hopefully this weekend I can get some time to go repaint the plates with a 10" outline and then shoot the challenge next week. I'm not sure which gun I will shoot. The 270WSM is a Remington with a Stockys VG and the 6.5x284 is a Tikka with a factory stock. The Stockys handles recoil a bit better I think.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Hopefully this weekend I can get some time to go repaint the plates with a 10" outline and then shoot the challenge next week. I'm not sure which gun I will shoot. The 270WSM is a Remington with a Stockys VG and the 6.5x284 is a Tikka with a factory stock. The Stockys handles recoil a bit better I think.
270WSM all the way brother!

we'll be watching

Curious to see what you figure out. Your rifle setup looks solid. Are you think this is the Indian or the arrow?

I went out today today... It was definitely the Indian and the rifle/scope is solid!

I put a scope mounted level on yesterday. I for some reason shot my cold bore shots on 15x because there wasn't going to be a follow up. Well, I wouldn't do that hunting so I shouldn't during the cold bore challenge. I had a suspicion that it was possible I had the gun canted and didn't notice since it was on 15x.

My other major suspicion was that it was my rest I had built. I almost always do not practice using my bino harness to elevate the rear bag. I am typically much lower on the ground when shooting prone.

My last suspicion was that it was because I was shooting uphill. That is not something I practice and I guess I should.

Went out today, set up my target at 604yd. Pretty flat shot across a canyon. Wind was variable between 5-12 full value left to right. No shooting has been done since my 2nd round cold bore miss.

I got low on the ground, didn't have my rear bag on top of my bino harness, made sure to snug the rifle tight into my shoulder as I typically do. I had the new anticant level on my scope, so my sure to check it. With a natural hold...... My cross hairs wanted to cant counterclockwise, which would cause a left and high poi. Made sure I was level.
Dialed 3.5, waited for lull in wind and held 0.4-0.5. first round hit.

Also had a second round hit, which knocked my target stand down. I could see a little bit of my plate still, it was sitting on the ground at about a 45* away from me. So sent one more at the small portion I could see and had a another hit.

. I need to work on making my position building more consistent, make sure my reticle is level, and probably work on shooting uphill and in weird positions a lot more.

Target
1000001158.jpg

Shooting position from target
1000001159.jpg

3/3. One impact is from first cold bore shot.

1000001160.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@Tcmo-33 post #44

Hey, I’m filling in for @Justin Crossley while he’s gone shooting this week, we’ve been calling any hit that breaks the line a hit. Just like archery.

I looked at your video and I looked at your picture, as long as that is a 10” circle, you broke the line with your main impact splash.

Count it!

Not sure if you’re trying to qualify for beyond 600 but you’re still in the game if you want to be.

Add to the fact you shot that in almost 20 mile an hour winds, that was a good shot!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I went out today today... It was definitely the Indian and the rifle/scope is solid!

I put a scope mounted level on yesterday. I for some reason shot my cold bore shots on 15x because there wasn't going to be a follow up. Well, I wouldn't do that hunting so I shouldn't during the cold bore challenge. I had a suspicion that it was possible I had the gun canted and didn't notice since it was on 15x.

My other major suspicion was that it was my rest I had built. I almost always do not practice using my bino harness to elevate the rear bag. I am typically much lower on the ground when shooting prone.

My last suspicion was that it was because I was shooting uphill. That is not something I practice and I guess I should.

Went out today, set up my target at 604yd. Pretty flat shot across a canyon. Wind was variable between 5-12 full value left to right. No shooting has been done since my 2nd round cold bore miss.

I got low on the ground, didn't have my rear bag on top of my bino harness, made sure to snug the rifle tight into my shoulder as I typically do. I had the new anticant level on my scope, so my sure to check it. With a natural hold...... My cross hairs wanted to cant counterclockwise, which would cause a left and high poi. Made sure I was level.
Dialed 3.5, waited for lull in wind and held 0.4-0.5. first round hit.

Also had a second round hit, which knocked my target stand down. I could see a little bit of my plate still, it was sitting on the ground at about a 45* away from me. So sent one more at the small portion I could see and had a another hit.

. I need to work on making my position building more consistent, make sure my reticle is level, and probably work on shooting uphill and in weird positions a lot more.

Target
View attachment 724892

Shooting position from target
View attachment 724893

3/3. One impact is from first cold bore shot.

View attachment 724895
That buck is down!!!!!!!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@TheCougar man that was high pressure shooting (#post 46) with all that gunfire around you.

When I saw that first bullet splash, I thought you miffed it by 10 feet!

Good shot

And a Rokstock!!!

TheCougar

WKR
@TheCougar man that was high pressure shooting (#post 46) with all that gunfire around you.

Good shot

And a Rokstock!!!
Yeah, there was a lot of dirt flying around back there. I was worried whomever was popping off in the next station might hit it before I did and I'd have to help my daughter get the video set up again. No one had been shooting at those targets before I set up for my cold bore shot. It did create a little bit of a distraction and pressure, which is good because it made the shot more realistic... and made me forget my wind hold! I won't forget that again.

That was also her first time shooting. Once I got the reticle on the target, she did great, shooting a RPR 22.

TheCougar

WKR

Good shot

And a Rokstock!!!
you know what is crazy, is the winds in that video. There were a lot stronger than I thought. AT my shooting position, they were 2-4 at 10:30. Middle third, you can see the bushes in the foreground getting thrown around pretty good from 3 o'clock, maybe 5+mph. They guys kicking up dust at the target showed the wind moving right to left as well, then right before I shot a bunch of dust got blown left to right at the target. I have no idea what the wind was actually doing out there. I just goes to show how much work I need on my wind calls.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@TheM1DoesMyTalking post #47

First guy to build a rifle in the time span of the challenge. I admire the effort.

Glad you’re in with that AR…I haven’t seen one pop up either unless I just missed it.

Better luck on day two.