2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone! The Cold Bore Challenge will be starting tomorrow and I'm giving everyone until July 7th this year. We'll add all the prize details in the coming days. Ryan is bear hunting again and I'm at a shooting match so I won't have a chance to finalize our list until next week.

One major rule change this year - all shots must be on video and the video must be titled Rokslide Cold Bore Challenge.

Post questions in this thread and we'll do our best to answer them quickly. Just know that I'm really busy the rest of the weekend.

UPDATE: Link to challenge here

Last edited by a moderator:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume that you'll post all rules and details of the video rule here?
The rules are in the official entry thread.

TX_Diver

WKR
Also interested in clarifications on the video. The current wording of being able to see the bullet hit the target requires a phone scope or a second person. If that's the rules, then that's the rules, but if something like what I did last year would still be fine that'd be appreciated!

Thanks

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For the video:

You just need to be able to see the impact. However you want to accomplish that is up to you.

The "best" practice for a video would show the rifle and shooting position along with showing the field of fire along with commentary to get an idea of what the shooter is experiencing and finally it would show bullet flight and impact.

Again, only a video of the bullet impacting is required.

Antares

WKR
I have a question about the >600 MER rules.

I currently have a plate hung at 622 yards, which is well past my MER, but I'd like to try it in the spirit of "challenging myself."

If I take my first two shots at that 622 yard plate, and miraculously get two hits, can I shoot my third and fourth shots at that same plate or do I need to set something up farther out for shots three and four?

Thanks for putting this on again, I'm pumped!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a question about the >600 MER rules.

I currently have a plate hung at 622 yards, which is well past my MER, but I'd like to try it in the spirit of "challenging myself."

If I take my first two shots at that 622 yard plate, and miraculously get two hits, can I shoot my third and fourth shots at that same plate or do I need to set something up farther out for shots three and four?

Thanks for putting this on again, I'm pumped!
You would need to shoot at a further distance to get the additional entry in the prize drawing

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
You would need to shoot at a further distance to get the additional entry in the prize drawing

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I’ll worry about where to set up shots three and four if I somehow manage to get hits on shots one and two at 622. Thanks again!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just got back from check-in for the NRL Hunter Rough Rider's Rumble in ND. Before check-in, I found a target they had set up at 715 yards so I ranged it and shot my first cold bore shot in 10 mph wind. The shot was just about perfectly centered on the plate. Very happy with how the rifle is shooting.

My last zero check was last Friday, just before the Oregon match (didn't have to adjust it). Since then, I have shot two days of competition, driven from central Oregon to Buckley, Washington, put the rifle in my other truck, and driven 1,200 miles to North Dakota.

The rifle is a 6.5 CM +P in a Tikka action (obviously) in an XLR Element with Unknown Rings and an NX8.

I'll try to jump on tomorrow and let you guys know how day one goes.

I just got back from check-in for the NRL Hunter Rough Rider's Rumble in ND. Before check-in, I found a target they had set up at 715 yards so I ranged it and shot my first cold bore shot in 10 mph wind. The shot was just about perfectly centered on the plate. Very happy with how the rifle is shooting.

My last zero check was last Friday, just before the Oregon match (didn't have to adjust it). Since then, I have shot two days of competition, driven from central Oregon to Buckley, Washington, put the rifle in my other truck, and driven 1,200 miles to North Dakota.

The rifle is a 6.5 CM +P in a Tikka action (obviously) in an XLR Element with Unknown Rings and an NX8.

I'll try to jump on tomorrow and let you guys know how day one goes.

What load are you able to shoot with that +P?
I haven't heard of anybody doing that with a 6.5 cm

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What load are you able to shoot with that +P?
I haven't heard of anybody doing that with a 6.5 cm
I didn't ask for the chamber to be cut that way and I haven't run it up to pressure yet since I've been busy shooting matches. My current load is 140 RDF over 43 grains of H4350 in Peterson brass. It's shooting 2840 fps from a 24" Brux barrel.

eric1115

WKR
Two questions...

First hundred to post their first shot get in, or first hundred to complete the challenge with both (or all four) shots?

Thread opens at 8 to post the video of a shot taken on on the morning of June 1, or challenge opens at 8:00, shot must be taken after that time?

Thanks for the work you all are putting in, had tons of fun last year and have been looking forward to doing it again!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Two questions...

First hundred to post their first shot get in, or first hundred to complete the challenge with both (or all four) shots?

Thread opens at 8 to post the video of a shot taken on on the morning of June 1, or challenge opens at 8:00, shot must be taken after that time?

Thanks for the work you all are putting in, had tons of fun last year and have been looking forward to doing it again!

The first hundred to post their first shot will have until the deadline to finish the challenge. Usually not all of them do so a few alternates will get in based on the order of their first post.

Shooters can take their first shot on the morning of 6/1 at whatever time they want and post it as soon as the thread is open.

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Geewhiz gets a bonus point for using a man’s rifle, none of that 6 something sissy stuff. 😜

I wish I could use my 300nmi, but I’m a couple range trips away from getting it long range ready and ran out of time.

eric1115

WKR
My prize is receiving something I already paid for, later than promised?

How about a free Rokstok and bump it to the front of the line. That would be a real prize.

Beats the hell out of waiting for my order to be filled based on my place in line.

I said it before, going from the beginning of an open and public development process to delivering the finished product in less time than it typically takes to get a McMillan or manners that is already an existing product is dang impressive.

I'm happy to pay for mine and wait until it's ready. I'd be happier to get bumped to the front of the line. If they refunded purchase price, I wouldn't turn it down but this would be a ln essentially no-cost way to make a handful of CBC'ers very happy campers.