2024 Bows?

MattB

WKR
Absolutely agree on the whole vibration, or how it’s put now, “hand shock” thing. That is just gimmick that only matters as six feet in the shop. I can’t say it’s ever mattered to me when choosing a bow. I love the shoulder punch of a good 30 cal rifle so the little buzz in my hand being an issue is comical.

Besides, once you have sight, bars, rest, and quiver on there, it is not the same bow.
Vibration creates noise and noise can cause animals to jump the string. Definitely not a gimmick. Whether quietness is important to you personally is another matter.

Vibration creates noise and noise can cause animals to jump the string. Definitely not a gimmick. Whether quietness is important to you personally is another matter.
That little bit of vibration isn’t doing anything. The sound of cams rotating, string smacking the stop, and release going off is far louder than any vibration. It’s simply the one thing you can feel standing at the shop and they’ve convinced the majority that it makes a difference in how a bow shoots. That feel in the hand isn’t translating to sound at the animal.

sndmn11

WKR
I've wondered if engineers can track vibration in a riser to the point they can make an exit point that makes the grip vibration free and is directional so the shooter perceives it as quiet.

That little bit of vibration isn’t doing anything. The sound of cams rotating, string smacking the stop, and release going off is far louder than any vibration. It’s simply the one thing you can feel standing at the shop and they’ve convinced the majority that it makes a difference in how a bow shoots. That feel in the hand isn’t translating to sound at the animal.

Vibration in a bow makes noise in accessories.

It's pretty easy to have a pretty quiet bare bow, putting accessories on it that amplify vibration make noise. Like sights set out from the riser, especially movable sights.

String stops make very little noise, pull them off and see the difference.

Releases shouldn't be making much noise.

Vibration in a bow makes noise in accessories.

It's pretty easy to have a pretty quiet bare bow, putting accessories on it that amplify vibration make noise. Like sights set out from the riser, especially movable sights.

String stops make very little noise, pull them off and see the difference.

Releases shouldn't be making much noise.
Well, that’s not my experience in dozens of bows. That vibration has always been a moot point. I’ve had bows that feel like a tuning fork and bows that had zero felt vibrations and none have caused noise. Even those that had extended vibrations (Prime has always been the most dramatic) didn’t cause external noise because of it.

I guess your mileage may vary.

Well, that’s not my experience in dozens of bows. That vibration has always been a moot point. I’ve had bows that feel like a tuning fork and bows that had zero felt vibrations and none have caused noise. Even those that had extended vibrations (Prime has always been the most dramatic) didn’t cause external noise because of it.

I'll agree that I never cared too much about the feel in hand. Shot lots of tuning forks.

But vibration is exactly what makes noise. The faster you can kill it, the quieter it will be.

At some point, it doesn't really matter tho.

MattB

WKR

Mileage may vary, physics doesn’t.

MattB

WKR
😂

Okay professor.
There’s this guy, Randy Ulmer, who knows things about archery:

“Energy that is not transferred to the arrow is dissipated as vibration, and vibration causes noise. So, the heavier the arrow, the less vibration. And the less vibration, the less noise.

There’s this guy, Randy Ulmer, who knows things about archery:

“Energy that is not transferred to the arrow is dissipated as vibration, and vibration causes noise. So, the heavier the arrow, the less vibration. And the less vibration, the less noise.

This seems really important to you. I’ll just let you win as I’m certainly not going to debate with you or Randy Ulmer about my personal experiences.

But if RaNdY said it, I must be wrong.

I would slightly disagree. the bows of old did audibly vibrate. I don't think that the noise caused me to me botch a shot on an animal. the fiberglass limbs creaked slot. the round wheel cams were smooth though . 220fps did the job

I'll agree that I never cared too much about the feel in hand. Shot lots of tuning forks.

But vibration is exactly what makes noise. The faster you can kill it, the quieter it will be.

At some point, it doesn't really matter tho.

I'm fairly certain we hit the point of it not mattering about 12 years ago. Now the bows are quiet enough for us to argue over how loud the fletching is

I'm fairly certain we hit the point of it not mattering about 12 years ago. Now the bows are quiet enough for us to argue over how loud the fletching is

There's a bunch of bows starting around '06 that really I could happily shoot from here on out.

But I'm into it, and think it's slightly cheaper than hookers and blow, so I keep getting stuff to play with.

Tilzbow

WKR
There's a bunch of bows starting around '06 that really I could happily shoot from here on out.

But I'm into it, and think it's slightly cheaper than hookers and blow, so I keep getting stuff to play with.

I think 2006 was about the time parallel limb bows were first released, correct? That’s also the last really big compound bow innovation that I can think of.

I think 2006 was about the time parallel limb bows were first released, correct? That’s also the last really big compound bow innovation that I can think of.

It was around then.

Just seems to me a lot of the bows got close to our modern speeds starting then, limbs seemed to become a lot more stable from most manufacturers.

I could hunt with a Hoyt Ultratec and be fine, or a Mathews SBXT. Can still get parts for them.

The Hoyt Ultratec looks a lot different from their new bows, but a lot of the specs are pretty similar, at least with spiral cams and 2000 limbs.

sndmn11

WKR
It was around then.

Just seems to me a lot of the bows got close to our modern speeds starting then, limbs seemed to become a lot more stable from most manufacturers.

I could hunt with a Hoyt Ultratec and be fine, or a Mathews SBXT. Can still get parts for them.

The Hoyt Ultratec looks a lot different from their new bows, but a lot of the specs are pretty similar, at least with spiral cams and 2000 limbs.
So, did you shoot/fondle a new Mathews?

MattB

WKR

With the appropriate level of commitment, hookers and blow would be far more expensive. 😀