2024 Bows?

Fowl Play

WKR
I really have been unimpressed with the incremental changes to bows we are getting every year. I don’t want new carbon bows… the weird shapes are not the best use of the material's strengths and makes the riser less durable.

The next big change I want to see is 3D printed bows (laser sintering). It would not be hard, a good topology optimization program like HyperWorks would spit you out an organic looking solution very easily. That could be a game changer. Would likely be lighter/stiffer than carbon and more durable. And they would look much much better IMO. I will likely just keep changing strings on my current 3 year old bow until that happens. Cause it won’t be cheap, but I will want it.

Bringing that technology to bow manufacturing would unlock allot of other options as well. Getting creative with way to increase the power stroke, etc.

Rob2d

FNG
Elite to come out with a longer ata version of their current hunting bow would have my interest. Honestly idk what more the bow companies can do to keep improving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's not much else to improve. All they can really do is update risers to be compatible with more accessories and little things that are mostly cosmetic. The speeds haven't gotten better in years and the noise/vibration challenge has only got marginally better.

sh40674

FNG
There's not much else to improve. All they can really do is update risers to be compatible with more accessories and little things that are mostly cosmetic. The speeds haven't gotten better in years and the noise/vibration challenge has only got marginally better.
Agreed. Companies moving to the simpler tubing methods (dead lock, elites limb adjustment etc...) really set the bar. They do what is popular in the market. People wanted fast bows so they got fast ones, then they complained about accuracy and tuning so tuning was the new thing, then they'd didn't want the harsh draw cycles so we got smooth bows with very reasonable speeds (average bows now are like 335 across the board, that isn't "slow"). Now people want faster and smoother bows. Getting to the point where you can't have your cake and eat it too. I think bowtech did good with their timing adjustment, and grip. Though the grip isn't the most comfortable that can be more improved on. Mathews did well on making a light bow still out of aluminum, I'd like to see bowtech follow suit

MattB

WKR
Until new limb materials are found to make bows faster without losing durability, gains in performance will continue to be marginal.

Claims by marketing departments on the other hand….

#bestbowever

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
The Lift 29 felt like a paperweight compared to my VXR 28. Super quiet as expected, maybe a little harsher draw as far as smoothness thru the cycle than the VXR but still overall not bad. Shoots nice similar to what I have which is what I want but lighter, definitely faster. I’m going with one just for the weight difference lugging that thing up and down the mountain, especially with the Montana pack mounted sling after a few days that VXR causes some neck soreness on the bigger mileage days.

TheTone

WKR
Shot a new prime rvx 34 and Athens axxis 33 yesterday. Both looked great, I really liked the simple looks of the Athens. The prime was super smooth and really dead at the shot, almost weirdly dead to me. The Athens had a stiffer draw by a fair amount but no humps or anything, just a harder pull. It seemed faster than what the rating would indicate or maybe it’s just an accurate rating while others are exaggerating? The arrows out of the Athens were definitely hitting the target with a much louder sound at impact

The only Bowtech I have experience with is my SR350 and it is a sweet bow.
I shot Mathews for a while. Outback, Switchback< Drenalin and then Monster. All shot well and honestly, the monster was a monster to draw and hold but was very fast! I went from Hoyt to Mathews and then in 2018 Purchased my Bowtech Realm, sold the Mathews bows and never looked back. Shooting bows is very subjective and every guy feels something different, be it good or bad. I felt the Bowtech was a smoother more consistent draw from start to anchor. Comfortable to shoot, not too heavy to carry and accuracy was excellent for me out to 40. I'm old and gray and have been bowhunting since 1973. Wooden recurves to Bear Polar Bear LTD cable bows! The evolution in bows has been amazing and the technology better and better. IMHO, shooting a Mathews was tougher as I got older. I called it the younger man's bow because of how I perceived the draw cycle...strenuous. Yet, other guys swear by their Mathews and believe it to be the best thing they've shot! Again, subjective! My Bowtech has been so good that I would need an extra special bow to come along and change my mind. I'm just looking into the Core SS right now. Keep the Realm as a backup bow and use the Core SS as my primary one. I give Mathews tons of credit for their innovation and their Lift is making huge splashes in the bowhunting circles and reviews. I understand the backorder to get a Lift is already through April and only the biggest bow dealers are getting their hands on a decent amount of inventory. Kudos to Mathews because they truly stand out as a leader in the industry but...I'm very prone to Bowtech from MY experience with the bows. Shot the CP and liked it very much but why buy it when the Core SS is already here! I'm with you...shooting Bowtech is sweet!!

I'm not too worried about vibration, as long as its felt and not noisy. That could easily be a tune thing, etc. The podium archer did a good review and he actually measured it less than any bow he's tested. I'm more upset about the weight, he weighed them and actually almost ticked 5 pounds. Now, I shoot either HHA or black gold, and a hamskea so weight isn't really too much of an issue knowing it's already going go be heavier. But that's about the only thing mathews did impressive (imo) this year was keep a strong aluminum (I much prefer aluminum) riser and put the bow into carbon territory. I wish others would follow suit.

Still stuck between bowtech and Athens. Vibration or not I know I can shoot a bowtech well. I (NOW) know I cannot shoot a mathews,at least a v3x, well. Some bows just don't get along with some people I guess lol. My solution was a good shooter, hoping the core and maybe core sr are.
I'll never dismiss a Mathews as less anything. They produce GREAT bows however...after 4 Mathews bows in my hunting history, I switched to Bowtech because of feel and draw cycle. No two bowhunters are going to feel a bow the exact same way. It is a very SUBJECTIVE opinion, individual to individual. I shot my Mathews well but shoot my Bowtech even better because of how it draws and anchors for me. Accuracy/grouping was superb out to 40 yards ( never shot beyond that). I'm currently looking into a Core SS myself and keeping my Bowtech Realm as a backup bow. my best advice after 49-50 years of bowhunting under my belt is...shoot what feels good to you, what you shoot VERY WELL at all angles and positions and performs to your expectations. Between hunting shows and hunting celebs, YouTube channel shows from famous hunters and target shooters, Online reviews and opinion/information sites like this one and many others, they'll have you buying new stuff every year, the best, the fastest, the lightest, the easiest etc!!! I remember when you could buy a bow for $150-200 new and now they're charging $1000-2000 a bow! Two thousand dollars used to buy me a one week hunting trip to Montana!! Now... if you get sucked in to the latest greatest hype, you'll spend a small fortune. Buy a new bow when you're ready for one and it's an investment so buy what's right for YOU! Good luck and I'll let you know if I finally do buy another bow, how the Core SS does for me!

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping the more experienced can help a guy out.

Figured it's time to get a new bow. Still shooting my switchback I bought new in high school. While a killing machine and easy to tune, feel I'm starting to give up a bit of accuracy at longer distances. Think some of the bearings and other components are finnaly on there last legs.

Want something that will last.
Accurate and quite first and foremost. Than some additional speed would be nice compared to where I'm currently at to help shrink pin gaps a bit.

Went and shot the new lift and rx8.

Although the lift felt marginally better post shot. It also had a slight hitch midraw that I was not real high on.

The rx8 draw was I thought perfect. But the follow through just a hair behind the lift.

Also preferred the grip on rx8. Just felt the lift was a tad thin.

I don't know much about specs. I just want something that performs.

Am I giving up something with one vs the other?

Also carbon vs aluminum. Any cons or pros I should be aware of outside people say one feels colder. Guess that was never really a concern for me. But i guess my mathews has a wood grip, ha.

Any insite appreciated.

Hoping the more experienced can help a guy out.

Figured it's time to get a new bow. Still shooting my switchback I bought new in high school. While a killing machine and easy to tune, feel I'm starting to give up a bit of accuracy at longer distances. Think some of the bearings and other components are finnaly on there last legs.

Want something that will last.
Accurate and quite first and foremost. Than some additional speed would be nice compared to where I'm currently at to help shrink pin gaps a bit.

Went and shot the new lift and rx8.

Although the lift felt marginally better post shot. It also had a slight hitch midraw that I was not real high on.

The rx8 draw was I thought perfect. But the follow through just a hair behind the lift.

Also preferred the grip on rx8. Just felt the lift was a tad thin.

I don't know much about specs. I just want something that performs.

Am I giving up something with one vs the other?

Also carbon vs aluminum. Any cons or pros I should be aware of outside people say one feels colder. Guess that was never really a concern for me. But i guess my mathews has a wood grip, ha.

Any insite appreciated.
Well Predator... Bows are subjective tools and I'd suggest you go to a good bow shop and see if there are enough demo bows available for you to try out and judge for yourself.
I've had 3 Mathews bows in a row and truly enjoyed the first two, but the last one was the Monster model and although fast as can be, even with my 27" draw length, it was a beast to draw and hold waiting for the shot. The draw cycle was the toughest I've ever encountered in any bow I've owned so after a few seasons, I sold it and bought a Bowtech Realm. Now...I'm sure guys will reply believing my opinion to be not aligned with their own but thats ok. IMHO, after owning the Bowtech since 2018, hunting with it for 2 seasons, getting several deer with it ( shoulder reconstruction surgery in Sept 2020 ruined my next few seasons)- it is the smoothest drawing bow I've shot in a long time. I concur that Mathews makes great bows and worth the money but so does Bowtech and Hoyt and there are a few runners up coming on strong in the last couple years.
You can't go wrong with a Bowtech if a comfortable bow is what you want. The Hoyt RX8 might just not be the ticket for you and if Mathews is your other love, buy it. If you're not sold on any bow just yet, shoot a Bowtech Core SR or SS depending on comfort vs speed, an Elite Omnia or Ethos, PSE Evolve to name a few better developed manufacturers.
Before I bought my Bowtech, I shot the Hoyt, and a PSE also. Settled on what felt the BEST to me...the Realm. You owe it to yourself to shoot a few before you invest a $1000 plus into a new bow. Nothing worse than having buyers remorse after spending some serious coin!
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Similar situation to you. I've been shooting a 2008 hoyt crx for the last 15 years. decided to go ahead and save up for new one this year knowing whatever I tried would be an improvement for me and I would want to buy it. went to the shop tried the lift, hoyt and pse carbon bows. All 3 were a ridiculous improvement in all categories. grips were different but they all all held on target way steadier than my old hoyt. 70 pounds on the new bows felt like 60-65 pounds to me. you're going to get comfortable with anything you buy if that's going to be your bow for the next 5 to 10 years. I figure splitting hairs over every little nuance is a little silly for a shooter like me. no matter what you go with is going to be different but you're going to like it. It should last you a long time. If it breaks it can be fixed/replaced. I'm not going to be a competitive archer so it's more of a piece of equipment I use and maintain to get a job done. I think I put more time researching and deciding what bow to buy than what vehicle to buy. just pick one you can afford and shoot the paint off it. you won't regret it.