2023 Wyoming Elk Draw Results

Laramie

WKR
I consider myself pretty draw savvy and when the odds actually rolled out there wasn’t a tag in the random for the type 1 tag I put in for. Not heartbroken over it and it was hard to predict for this particular unit.

I agree that despite the price increase WY will have ZERO trouble selling out bull tags in the special but what will be interesting will be some of the type 2, 3 or 4 tags in the special. I doubt many will pony up $2k for a spike/cow.

I also think it will take a few cycles to see what the price increase does. I do think mid point tier guys will go special “once” just to get some of their value out but don’t know if they can justify year over year or get it by the wife again. It will be interesting for sure.
That is a good point on the type 2, 3 and 4 tags. That is more than most guided cow elk hunts cost.

That is a good point on the type 2, 3 and 4 tags. That is more than most guided cow elk hunts cost.
Yeah I have zero problem burning a point or two on a cow hunt, but I don’t see myself spending $2k on a cow tag.

I should know this, but what does Wyoming do with leftover nonresident tags? I have a feeling there will be more than a few leftover cow tags next year in the special.

troutman

FNG
Unsuccessful in the nonresident special general with 3 points. I'll buy another preference point in July and hope for the best with 4 next year. Looks like I'm going to have to pay a bit more for the special draw next year. This is getting expensive.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from bear hunting in Montana with my son. We didn't harvest anything but it was good to get out. Saw one good bear but it didn't work out. Ben (my son) drew a unit 63-3 elk tag. Only took 15 points :). Glad he started applying for points when he was 16. If anyone has any insight they might be willing to share I'd love to get a PM from you. Since this isn't an easy unit to draw, I can assure anyone with info that I wouldn't share it if they didn't want me to and I can promise you I won't be applying for it again within the next 20 years (unfortunately).

Ben is 31 and been hunting elk for 15 years. He hasn't harvested anything yet so we're hoping this is the year. He made what looked like a great archery shot on a 4x4 in Colorado back when he was 16, but we never found that bull. Looked for 2 solid days. He also missed a 5x5 two years ago in a wilderness area in Montana where he lives now. The one branch in the way of the vitals story.........we're hoping this is the year. He's a good, humble young man who works in law enforcement in Montana. He goes out of his way to help people and does not walk around with a chip on his shoulder. Any help would be appreciated but if you don't feel comfortable providing it I completely understand. We have on-x and can do our best to put a plan together. Ben's going to go look around in August, we'll hunt at least a week in September and then up to 2 weeks in November if needed to try to get this done.

Finally drew with 13 pts. I am relieved to be out of the points race. Pretty crazy looking at the drawing odds.
Drew a unit with 13 pts that drew with 10 last year. Can't imagine where this is all going.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone drew some of the Casper Region wyoming elk units like 7, 16, 19, 22 I used a guide last year named Pat Ginder with At-Ease Hunting. Really great guide and I can't say enough about his knowledge and demeanor. I have no incentive to post this other than I had a great experience.