2023 OFFICIAL ELK MEAT POLE THREAD

Thursday, September 14th, at around 7:00 a.m.I began cow calling on a ridgetop that separates three basins. After about three sessions, this guy fired off in the bottom of the basin. He didn't make another peep, so I began stalking into him. This area has been burned, so I have to use the topography for cover. I was hunting with a friend who stayed back and continued to cow call. It's close to 900 yards from the ridge where I called to where he was when he called.

My friend stayed stationary and continued to call as I stalked. This was a steep, rocky ridge that I was stalking down. I found different vantage points to glass from but couldn't pick this guy out. I began wondering if he bugled from somewhere other than where I thought I heard him.

Continuing my stalk, I peak my head around this boulder and see him walking uphill at about 30 yards away. I began to scramble back uphill to try to catch him. As I did, right before I crested a boulder, I nocked an arrow. I was looking ahead of me and slightly to my left as I thought that's where he would be. Thankfully, I looked to my left, and he's locked on me at 20 yards away. I go to full draw and don't have a shot because some downfall is blocking his vitals. I took a couple of steps towards him, and my footing was all wonky. I looked down at my feet, cleared out a standing spot, settled the pin on his chest, and released the arrow. It was an 18-yard frontal shot. He was shot at 9:20 a.m.

The blood trail was like a murder scene, Helen Keller could have followed it. His body and antlers were covered in mud.
bbdbc0bc21e09692d493f25d1d004c02.jpg
b45bbcbb26717321a7b976f115a6689a.jpg
bc80fe3796021e79ce072d4c1e6016fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

HoytHntr4

WKR
1E81CA85-971A-48F8-96AE-B48471AD6CB9.jpeg
9/15 Southern Utah. I had an AK moose hunt planned for this September. During application season, instead of just buying a point like I should have I decided to just apply for one of the hardest archery tags to draw in the state, and somehow managed to draw. It’s amazing to watch and interact with elk when they experience little to no hunting pressure. This was the 10th bull we either called in or ran into that morning. Came in perfectly broadside at 30 yards. He was making his way to cut off the other shooter that was also coming into our calls. Watched the arrow burry to the fletching and he only made it about 80 yards. Congratulations or good luck to everyone else who’s been successful or still has an elk tag in their pocket this year!

PXL_20230914_205012622.jpg
Proud Dad moment,

We drew some Wyoming cow tags this year (myself, 13 year old son and my hunting buddy), and my Dad and Brother got tags in a neighboring unit where we could camp together and hunt the neighboring units. We wound up filling 3 of 5 tags and should have gone 5 for 5 but lost one wounded and chunked an easy shot!

This year was my boys first year with a compound bow after shooting a few turkeys with a crossbow. He practiced every day he could and became quite proficient this summer.

On his first full day of hunting he sent an arrow about 4 ft over a cow at 48 yards. Still not sure if it was buck/cow fever or if something went wrong with the arrow in the whisker biscuit, but no elk were harmed. It didn't help the poor kid that he had to watch 20 elk work their way to water from 150 yards out with a bull screaming the whole way!

Three days later he redeemed himself. We spotted a small herd feeding about 3/4 mile away and 500 feet below us. My buddy, son, and I dropped down and got the wind right and made a play for them. At 200 yards it became evident that cover was scarce and we would have to move fast as the bull was starting to push his herd uphill. I took all 3 packs and sent my son and buddy ahead to try to cut them off. They are both shorter skinny guys, and I didn't figure my 6'2" heavy weight butt, needed to run uphill with them in a crouch!

They got to some cover and the elk fed out in front of them, as my buddy ranged them he got busted by the lead cow, my son was kneeling beside him and yanked back his bow with more cows feeding out. He made a beautiful 65 yard quartering away shot entering where the dirt on her body is and lodging in the front of her backside shoulder! She went about 80 yards and laid down to die all in sight! I wish I would have had my phone out as he walked up on her but I was still humping 3 packs up hill at the time. He was on cloud 9, and even more so when my brother and dad left their hunt to come help pack out even though we had 3 guys there already. They weren't about to miss out on his first elk and being a part of it with him.

Took me until 26 to even hunt elk the first time, and 5 trips to tag an elk, 13 years old and first trip with a tag and he punches it! Awesome trip with family and a great first big game hunt with a compound Bow for my boy!

View attachment 603388
Proud Dad moment,

We drew some Wyoming cow tags this year (myself, 13 year old son and my hunting buddy), and my Dad and Brother got tags in a neighboring unit where we could camp together and hunt the neighboring units. We wound up filling 3 of 5 tags and should have gone 5 for 5 but lost one wounded and chunked an easy shot!

This year was my boys first year with a compound bow after shooting a few turkeys with a crossbow. He practiced every day he could and became quite proficient this summer.

On his first full day of hunting he sent an arrow about 4 ft over a cow at 48 yards. Still not sure if it was buck/cow fever or if something went wrong with the arrow in the whisker biscuit, but no elk were harmed. It didn't help the poor kid that he had to watch 20 elk work their way to water from 150 yards out with a bull screaming the whole way!

Three days later he redeemed himself. We spotted a small herd feeding about 3/4 mile away and 500 feet below us. My buddy, son, and I dropped down and got the wind right and made a play for them. At 200 yards it became evident that cover was scarce and we would have to move fast as the bull was starting to push his herd uphill. I took all 3 packs and sent my son and buddy ahead to try to cut them off. They are both shorter skinny guys, and I didn't figure my 6'2" heavy weight butt, needed to run uphill with them in a crouch!

They got to some cover and the elk fed out in front of them, as my buddy ranged them he got busted by the lead cow, my son was kneeling beside him and yanked back his bow with more cows feeding out. He made a beautiful 65 yard quartering away shot entering where the dirt on her body is and lodging in the front of her backside shoulder! She went about 80 yards and laid down to die all in sight! I wish I would have had my phone out as he walked up on her but I was still humping 3 packs up hill at the time. He was on cloud 9, and even more so when my brother and dad left their hunt to come help pack out even though we had 3 guys there already. They weren't about to miss out on his first elk and being a part of it with him.

Took me until 26 to even hunt elk the first time, and 5 trips to tag an elk, 13 years old and first trip with a tag and he punches it! Awesome trip with family and a great first big game hunt with a compound Bow for my boy!
Nothing better than being with your kids, and they punch their tag!

Good job, dad!!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 602798
9/15 Southern Utah. I had an AK moose hunt planned for this September. During application season, instead of just buying a point like I should have I decided to just apply for one of the hardest archery tags to draw in the state, and somehow managed to draw. It’s amazing to watch and interact with elk when they experience little to no hunting pressure. This was the 10th bull we either called in or ran into that morning. Came in perfectly broadside at 30 yards. He was making his way to cut off the other shooter that was also coming into our calls. Watched the arrow burry to the fletching and he only made it about 80 yards. Congratulations or good luck to everyone else who’s been successful or still has an elk tag in their pocket this year!
Great bull and killer photo! Glad to have met you on this great elk hunting experience.